Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:23 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope101 View Post
Just as everyone is on their own path of spirituality, so are my kids. I don’t shelter and protect them from the many beliefs out there. I urge them to study and research any religion that they may be interested in. They are teenagers now, so they are more than capable of using many resources (libraries, churches, bookstores) to explore what is right for them. I urge them to always ask questions and reject anything that seems unreasonable, or that goes against their common sense. They were free to watch The Golden Compass, just as they were to watch The Passion, The Da Vinci Code etc…

I respect my children as individual human beings able to find their own truth.
If I had teenagers I would agree with you that after many years of teaching them to examine information and ideas based on their source and circumstance that allowing them to view this movie or even read the books would be no big deal. However, I have little ones that in my opinion still need guidance in what they see because they lack the maturity to interpret information beyond a certain level. Irregardless of what I believe or not any information I do give them should align with basic good and evil...obviously not encouraging evil. The movie may not be as bad as the books but they are a pathway to the books, which in my opinion promote evil. Killing God, no matter it be the Christian version or Muslim version or any other version of who a person thinks God is, is evil. My kids do not need to be introduced to that and as long as I have control over it they won't be.

I respect the thought that children should learn about all beliefs and faiths, but none should be taught that any of those beliefs are evil or wrong (which the books that the movie is based on do indeed teach that all faith is evil and wrong) because that in and of itself is promoting bias and predjudice. Therefore until they are actually able to make those decisions on their own, children are children and need parental guidance in what is and is not appropriate for them to view or read. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I respect the thought that children should learn about all beliefs and faiths, but none should be taught that any of those beliefs are evil or wrong (which the books that the movie is based on do indeed teach that all faith is evil and wrong) because that in and of itself is promoting bias and predjudice. Therefore until they are actually able to make those decisions on their own, children are children and need parental guidance in what is and is not appropriate for them to view or read. My 2 cents.
I haven't read the books, but honestly, I'm not sure that the movie is appropriate for young children, anyway, and not because of any attack on faith (I didn't see an attack on faith, aside from what I interpreted as a criticism of the Catholic Church). I just think the themes are for adults. The life and death situations and all the main character has to endure would have been too much for me. I'm sure all kids are different, but if I had children younger than about 13 or so, I don't think I'd take them to see this movie. There are other things we could be watching instead, needless to say.

I've read that it hasn't done all that well at the box office and it's a possibility that a second one won't be made. Do y'all think that is likely, and if so, do you think this is because people stayed away from the movie because they didn't want to see a movie based on books written by a professed atheist? Or is it that the movie simply isn't that interesting to young children? The first Harry Potter movie was so different. The battle between good and evil was discussed, but most of the movie was carefree and about being a kid. If I had been a little kid when it came out, I would've loved it! Not so with The Golden Compass.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I haven't seen the movie, but I am about a third of the way through the book. I personally think that it is quite a bit darker than "Harry Potter", (and I've read all seven HP books). Not that HP is not dark in places, and it even gets somewhat darker as the books progress, but the characters themselves are also getting older, and more mature, and thus more capable of handling whatever they are up against, in their fight of good versus evil. Of course, I also think it has much to do with the writing style of each author, (I'm definitely having a harder time staying with Pullman's story, due to his style). I wouldn't have a problem with a somewhat younger kid reading HP. I really feel that HP, (particularly the first one), is more geared toward younger kids, (though not little children, obviously. About that 7-11 age group, depending on the maturity level of the child). "The Golden Compass", on the other hand, is quite dark, and better suited, I feel, for older kids, say perhaps, 13, or so, with much discussion.

I'll probably watch the movie when it comes out on dvd, just out of curiosity. As far as it not doing well at the box office, I suspect it is because not only was the story written by an atheist, but it also purportedly "kills God", (or, faith, if you will), at some point. Since most of us believe in some form of a higher deity, it is just extremely uncomfortable for us. It also seems, that there are not as many light-hearted moments, as there were in HP. Reading HP, I understood why it was so popular. Rowling definitely knows how to think like a kid, to put down on paper things that a kid would like to read about. I actually had fun, reading the books. Rowling definitely has an imagination well-suited for kids. I can't say that I am having fun, reading "The Golden Compass". I started it out of curiosity, to see what all the fuss was about, and I will finish it, but I definitely like HP much better, (I must; having all the books, and all five movies. Looking forward to the last two movies). Much of this is, I believe, a tempest in a teapot. I honestly don't think Pullman's books will have near as much impact on our reading population as "Harry Potter". Of course, there are plenty of folks who think that HP had too much influence, also, but that is for another thread!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM

26 posts, read 59,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
If I had teenagers I would agree with you that after many years of teaching them to examine information and ideas based on their source and circumstance that allowing them to view this movie or even read the books would be no big deal. However, I have little ones that in my opinion still need guidance in what they see because they lack the maturity to interpret information beyond a certain level. Irregardless of what I believe or not any information I do give them should align with basic good and evil...obviously not encouraging evil. The movie may not be as bad as the books but they are a pathway to the books, which in my opinion promote evil. Killing God, no matter it be the Christian version or Muslim version or any other version of who a person thinks God is, is evil. My kids do not need to be introduced to that and as long as I have control over it they won't be.

If no child should be taught that any beliefs are evil or wrong, than wouldn’t teaching that atheist beliefs are evil and wrong be doing the same thing? Isn’t that promoting bias and prejudice?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope101 View Post
If no child should be taught that any beliefs are evil or wrong, than wouldn’t teaching that atheist beliefs are evil and wrong be doing the same thing? Isn’t that promoting bias and prejudice?

Bravo. I wish people would trust and respect their Children enough to make their own minds up and think for themselves. Give them as wide a knowledge as you can and the rest is up to them.
Kids are intensely curious by Nature and they will find out what their parents don't want them to anyway.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Give them a wide berth and they'll generally find their way. I permitted my children to attend every church and their services whilst they were young. They had friends who were all colours and shades of Christian. They got a good over-view of all these faiths, and were able to contrast and compare. It didn't hurt them one bit, and they were offered religious opportunities and training I was unable to provide.

And, I know today their capacity to reason and think for themselves was an unintended consequence of my tolerance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Bravo. I wish people would trust and respect their Children enough to make their own minds up and think for themselves. Give them as wide a knowledge as you can and the rest is up to them.
Kids are intensely curious by Nature and they will find out what their parents don't want them to anyway.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
I plan to see it first..to see what all the hooray is bout first..

Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
It's got bears with armor and helmets! What more needs to be said.

I found it to be entertaining. The protagonist is a young girl/woman and there's a bear, with armor!

Of course, I look at movies at face value and don't feel the need to delve deep into the depths of the religious beliefs of writers.

Do the same people who fear this movie prohibit their kids from watching most violent and misogynistic television? How many murders have your kids seen on TV? How many rapes or violent acts against women have they seen? That would be more of a problem for me, if I were a parent.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:40 AM

51 posts, read 109,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Sounds like the devil trying sneak in the back door while no one is paying attention.
Here is an email I just received about it:

"The Golden Compass" is set to premier on December 7, during
the Christmas season, and will probably be heavily
advertised. This movie is based on a the first book of a
trilogy by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy
and girl kill God so they can do as they please. Pullman
left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a
2003 interview that "My books are about killing God."

The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is
designed to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting
parents will take their children to see the movie and
that the children will want the books for Christmas.

The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman,
Kevin Bacon, and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised
extensively, so it is crucial that we get the word out to
warn parents to avoid this movie.

Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books. Also,
pass this information along to everyone you know. This will
help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda
of the movie.

You can research this for yourself. Start with this article
on Snopes.com.

(I read the snopes article and this is definitely worth passing around. It's very disturbing.)

Not tired of reading about the movie? Here's MORE DETAILS
---

The movie has been described as "atheism for kids" and is
based on the first book of a trilogy entitled "His Dark
Materials" that was written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is
a militant atheist and secular humanist who despises C. S.
Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia". His motivation for
writing this trilogy was specifically to counteract Lewis'
symbolisms of Christ that are portrayed in the Narnia
series.

Clearly, Pullman's main objective is to bash Christianity
and promote atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his
intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "my books
are about killing God." He has even stated that he wants to
"kill God in the minds of children". It has been said of
Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying
for, if atheists prayed."
Sounds like the [Jesus] trying sneak in the back door while no one is paying attention.
Here is an email I just received about it:

"[The Passion of the Christ]" is set to premier on [February 25, 2004], during
the [Easter]Season, and will probably be heavily
advertised. This movie is based on the [Gospels] of a
[quadrilogy] by [annonymous authors]. In the final book [some Romans]
kill God so they can do as they [can] please [Jews]. [Jesus]
left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a
interview that "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10:34)"

The movie is a[n] [exaggerated] version of the first book and is
designed to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting
parents will take their children to see the movie and
that the children will want the books for Christmas.

The movie has a well known cast, including [Jim Caviezel,Maia Morgenstern,Monica Bellucci]. It will probably be advertised
extensively, so it is crucial that we get the word out to
warn parents to avoid this movie.

Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books. Also,
pass this information along to everyone you know. This will
help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda
of the movie.

You can research this for yourself. Start with this article
on Snopes.com.

(I read the snopes article and this is definitely worth passing around. It's very disturbing.)

Not tired of reading about the movie? Here's MORE DETAILS
---

The movie has been described as "[Christianity] for kids" and is
based on the first book of a [quadriligy] entitled "The greatest myth ever told" that was written by [annonynous authors]. [They are]
a [Fundamentalist Christians] and [Evangelical fanatics] who despises [Pullman] and the "The Golden Compass". [Their] motivation for
writing this [Movie] was specifically to counteract [Pullman's]
symbolisms of [atheism] that are portrayed in the [Dark Trillogy]
series.

Clearly, [Mel Gibson's] main objective is to bash [Atheism]
and promote [Christianity]. [Mel Gibson] left little doubt about his
intentions when he said in a 200[4] interview that "This is a movie about love, hope, faith, and forgiveness. He [Jesus] died for all mankind, suffered for all of us. It's time to get back to that basic message. The world has gone nuts. We could all use a little more love, faith, hope, and forgiveness.
It was me that put him on the cross. It was my sins [who put him there].
(wikipedia)
He has even stated that he wants to
"kill [atheism] in the minds of children". It has been said of
[Gibson] that he is "the writer the [Christians] would be praying
for, if [Christians] prayed."

Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,906 times
Clearly, [Mel Gibson's] main objective is to bash [Atheism]
and promote [Christianity].

Well, he is also entitled to believe as he wants too, just like EVERYONE else!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality