Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:54 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this new movie being released in December? I've been reading about the author and his reasoning for writing children's books and such. It should be an eye opener for us as followers of Christ and to be aware of the underlying themes portrayed in his books and movies.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Yes, Ive heard about this. These type movies to me seem way too deep to interest children anyways.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Has anyone heard of this new movie being released in December? I've been reading about the author and his reasoning for writing children's books and such. It should be an eye opener for us as followers of Christ and to be aware of the underlying themes portrayed in his books and movies.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

Blessings
This movie is an adaptation of the books by an athiest. Don't let your children watch them. The movies are watered down versions of the books but they still play to the athiestic agenda. The main characters name is Lie-rah or Lyra. See seeks to find her friend who is killed at the end of the movie. Everyone in her world has a demon character that is some kind of reflection of their own soul (spelled Daemon). The final movie (third in the series) they reach their goal of killing God but afterwards find out that he was just a fake. Sounds like the athiestic agenda to me. I am concerned that many children will watch it because of the Computer animation and flashy sceenery. The kind of stuff that filled the Harry Potter movies. It is films like these that are attacks against the belief in God still found in our country.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Many people seem to be upset with the story, but I believe I will read the book for myself, (I just purchased it for that purpose), so that I might find out precisely what the story is all about. I know that the author has stated that he is an atheist, and supposedly the children in the book "kill God". And, granted, I probably would not want a younger child, who does not have the maturity for good discernment, to read such a book. But, rather than rushing to pass too quick a judgement, based on other folks' opinions, (many of whom have not read the story, either, just as they have not for "Harry Potter", and "The Davinci Code"), I think it would be in my best interest to investigate it. I don't like taking other peoples' word on such things, since personal opinion is very understandably biased. I've never understood how it is that folks can have such solid opinions about books that they've never even read. Wouldn't it be better to read it for ourselves, before forming an opinion, rather than taking someone else's word for it?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
There is already a long thread on this, in the general forum...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ass-movie.html

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Default News, New movie markets atheism? (Golden Compass)

Is 'Golden Compass' 'selling atheism to kids'? - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/03/golden.compass.religion.ap/index.html?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail - broken link)

//
In early October, the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights launched a boycott of the film, calling it "selling atheism to kids" at Christmastime in stealth fashion.

Director Chris Weitz has said he cut controversial religious content to make the film more commercially viable, with the plan of being more faithful to the original material in sequels.

For instance, the evil organization dominating the world is not "the church," as it is in the book, but the "Magisterium," which is getting criticism anyway because it's a Catholic term.

The later books are even more direct in their religious criticism. One character, a former nun, says: "The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all." Pullman himself has said, "I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."

Britain's National Secular Society, of which Pullman is a member, has said the changes made to avoid controversy amount to "taking the heart" out of the work.

Yet the film's co-producer, Deborah Forte, said that in 12 years of being associated with the movie and the books, not one young reader has mentioned religion to her. Children love the story and the characters, she said.

"I think it's a tempest in a teapot," Forte said Friday. "What we find interesting about our film is we've made this wonderful epic adventure story for families. ... We encourage parents to make their own decisions."

//

That last statement is code for "We know that you parents will be desperate to get your kids out of the house for a couple of hours. We're here for you!"

Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The book's author has said outright that he intended the book as a response to C.S. Lewis's Narnia tales. How much of that will translate into the movie...who knows? I've never read the book.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Funny... I was just watching the latest Kathy Griffin special, and she talked about the Catholic League and their boycotts. She joked about it being one guy with a computer (actually kinda true), and how he's given her more press than an Emmy & multiple shows have accomplished. So if MORE press and profits is what they wanted to achieve, it's been done quite well.

Off-topic P.S. For the record (and looking back to our debate about Kathy G.), she didn't even write the famous "Jesus can suck it" speech - her friend who writes for a children's program wrote it, in what she thought was a long-shot for winning. Ironic, huh?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
All I know is it has a polar bear that wears armor. I'm so going to watch that movie.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM

192 posts, read 560,067 times
The Catholic Explorer actually published a fairly positive review of the movie:

Catholic Explorer :: The Golden Compass (broken link)

Haven't read the book, either, but I'm quite intrigued!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality