Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,122,936 times

Advertisements

What is it that makes Richard Dawkins some kind of an expert on anything except the field that he has a degree in?

Why do so many people place so much stock in his idiotic ramblings?

We see this all the time with other supposed experts that have degrees in non-religious fields and they are only too quick to tell us all about what we believe and why we're wrong. Yet, when we attempt to point out a flaw in a scientific theory, our opinion is rejected?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM

63,505 posts, read 39,795,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What is it that makes Richard Dawkins some kind of an expert on anything except the field that he has a degree in?

We see this all the time with other supposed experts that have degrees in non-religious fields and they are only too quick to tell us all about what we believe and why we're wrong. Yet, when we attempt to point out a flaw in a scientific theory, our opinion is rejected?
It is not the degree or the specific field in science that conveys the respect. It is the scientific method itself that all scientists (even the so-called "soft sciences") are trained to use, Vizio. It disciplines the mind and the thought processes. It does not privilege them to speak authoritatively in areas that are outside the reach of data . . . but that seldom seems to stop anyone from doing so . . . scientist or not.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,733,053 times
Quote:

Why is it ok for you to point out flaws in scientific theories when you don't understand them, but not ok for scientists to point out flaws in religious views?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM

10,503 posts, read 6,118,480 times
Quote:
You can be an expert in both a scientific field and a religious one. One does not preclude the other.

You don't have to have a degree in a subject to be an expert in it.

Quote:
I think your statement here could be perfectly valid.

I think anybody with a good solid knowledge of science is perfectly within their rights to point out flaws in scientific theories, as long as they have a thorough understanding of that theory and why they disagree. Whether you believe in god or not should be immaterial.
There are plenty of flaws in many scientific theories. If they are valid flaws, they are valid flaws.

I think you are right. Having a belief in god should be a separate thing and people should be judged on their knowledge of the science only.
(As long as the belief is not clouding their judgement on the issue of course.)

However.
There has been such an unbelievable amount of absolute rubbish spouted about science on this forum the last few days, by people who clearly have absolutely no knowledge at all of the subject matter they are discussing.

Just to repeat:
"You can be an expert in both a scientific field and a religious one. One does not preclude the other."
It works both ways. I have no issue with theists also being experts in scientific fields.

But you cannot just spout nonsense about these things and not expect to picked up about it.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,195,952 times
Is it not odd that theists seem to think we hold him up as some guru of atheism? We don't. His theistic arguments are weak but is probably yards ahead of me in science. The Brits have been parodying theism for a long time and if you come from a Brit culture, you can/may appreciate his wit.

Atheists for the most part are free thinkers and on occasion something he says may resonate with us. From what I have seen, there does appear to get more theist attention than atheist attention.

Last edited by SeekerSA; 09-19-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,122,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You can be an expert in both a scientific field and a religious one. One does not preclude the other.

I think anybody with a good solid knowledge of science is perfectly within their rights to point out flaws in scientific theories, as long as they have a thorough understanding of that theory and why they disagree. Whether you believe in god or not should be immaterial.
There are plenty of flaws in many scientific theories. If they are valid flaws, they are valid flaws.

I think you are right. Having a belief in god should be a separate thing and people should be judged on their knowledge of the science only.
(As long as the belief is not clouding their judgement on the issue of course.)

However.
There has been such an unbelievable amount of absolute rubbish spouted about science on this forum the last few days, by people who clearly have absolutely no knowledge at all of the subject matter they are discussing.

Just to repeat:
"You can be an expert in both a scientific field and a religious one. One does not preclude the other."
It works both ways. I have no issue with theists also being experts in scientific fields.

But you cannot just spout nonsense about these things and not expect to picked up about it.
Ahh....so unless you have a scientific degree, you're unable to think logically? That's a little arrogant.

Truth be told, I've seen some absolute rubbish being spouted about religion by people that claim to be smart by virtue of a bit of scientific knowledge.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,777,120 times
Quote:
Ahh....so unless you have a scientific degree, you're unable to think logically? That's a little arrogant.
What is arrogant in not reading a post, and then accusing the author of saying exactly the opposite of what he said.

Re-read it again. He explicitly said you do not need a degree, however you do need a solid understanding of what you are discussing. Seems fair enough to me...

-NoCapo

Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 6,118,480 times
Quote:

Truth be told, I've seen some absolute rubbish being spouted about religion by people that claim to be smart by virtue of a bit of scientific knowledge.
I tell you something Vizio. I am getting very tired of people not reading or comprehending my posts.

What did I say here:

Quote:
and here:

Quote:

Please read the post again.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM

63,505 posts, read 39,795,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
What is arrogant in not reading a post, and then accusing the author of saying exactly the opposite of what he said.
Re-read it again. He explicitly said you do not need a degree, however you do need a solid understanding of what you are discussing. Seems fair enough to me...
-NoCapo
Quote:
I tell you something Vizio. I am getting very tired of people not reading or comprehending my posts.
What did I say here:
and here:
Please read the post again.
Actually reading posts and arguments is not a requirement when defending the faith and preaching dogma as a seminary-trained Pastor. Authority conveys privilege.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,016,267 times
In that any theory about a god is going to be based on assumptions not in evidence, we are all equally expert. The concept of anyone being an "expert", Pope or Richard Dawkins, is a non starter.

No credentials are required to invent a story which explains the cosmos in terms which are outside testable investigation, and no credentials are required to state that you do not believe that particular story.

Dawkins has the scientific expertise to demonstrate areas where elements of a particular religious dogma have been negated by more modern discoveries, but he is no more qualified than anyone else to state that there is or is not a creator. Studying scripture also does not make anyone an expert on that question. It might make someone an expert about the claims of a particular sect, but again, that is not expertise in the larger question of god/no god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality