Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you think that God has the ability to create something in the natural world, with foreknowledge of man creating an invention in the future?

I had started to discuss this in a previous thread that was more specific, but now I am trying to ask in a more general way. I am trying to get at the central point. (Even though I'm having trouble defining it.)

Maybe some of you could define that point better than I am attempting to now. Or feel free to discuss this as I have stated it. Thanks.
Of course. He knew at the beginning of creation every detail of our world today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Weak. You are comparing God to a cartoon character.
I am comparing one human created concept to another, did you not understand that? It could have been Robin Hood or King Arthur or Indiana Jones. The idea isn't god=Wile Coyote.

The question in the OP asks about the possible limitations of a god. In that all that we know of any god is composed of whatever claims people wish to make for that god, the the answer obviously is that any claim for a god may be made, just as a cartoon character may defy any natural law which the author selects.

Do you know of some way to prove or disprove any such claims that will satisfy everyone?

When speaking of a god, are we not beginning with the premise of an entity which operates outside the limitations of natural law? And since that entity is not subject to the same limitations as humans, how are any of us to say what the limitations of this god might be?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
You are saying that God is limited.
Extremely. Almost as if god didn't exist.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There's an author called Kat Kerr that wrote a book called Revealing Heaven. I talk about it all the time on this forum. Basically she's a revelator of Heaven and God picked her for the job to tour Heaven and to reveal the things there for the church and the world on Earth so that we can get ready for the many things that are coming.
Lol ... nice gig if you can get it, I guess.

What could possibly substantiate such a claim? What would prevent me from claiming that I had been picked by God to reveal some aspect of the spiritual world to mankind? And as long as I was a bit careful not to get too far afield of people's sensibilities and said stuff they found pleasing, could I not pretty much make it up as I went?

Finally, if I were God and wanted to reveal thinks to humanity as a whole that were important to get them ready for "things that are coming", would I pick such a method? Or would I do something unambiguous and unmistakable, like broadcast it worldwide on all TV channels? The way it is now, God is only going to reach a percentage of people who bought (and could afford! and spoke English!) one book by one author claiming divine revelation, and also, believed it. And as God, I'd be inclined to chide those people for being gullible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
A few atheist have actually taken offense to this and perceived what I told them as me trying to take the credit and achievements of humanity away and give it to God.
I can understand that. It is humans who did the hard work and research and implementation to make all this possible. It's like hiring a surgeon to remove a tumor and then thanking god for your healing. Maybe the surgeon should just put the tumor back so as not to take any glory from god!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 AM

350 posts, read 709,662 times
Quote:
Do you think that God has the ability to....?
If god exists then yes, by definition.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Extremely. Almost as if god didn't exist.
So then be careful what you say because that is almost the impression you are making.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 PM

The mistake I made in this particular OP was saying "could" when I actually should have said "would"?

Do you think that He *would* do such a thing? (My first thread from last week was about the hair clippers.)

Old 09-22-2013, 04:18 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Well, he put all of those hydrocarbons under the ground that were not used for eons but have been fueling the world now for a few hundred years.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Weak. You are comparing God to a cartoon character.
Not a bad analogy actually!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, he put all of those hydrocarbons under the ground that were not used for eons but have been fueling the world now for a few hundred years.
Good point. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality