Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

So I am looking today at a recent article concerning a community art organization where I once lived. One of the people who became the art director is a self professed "devout" and "evangelical" Christian. This was about the time that my classes were cancelled because I had a nude model standing in front of the class in order to teach the people there how to draw.

Many years ago, when the arts association was getting started, I wrote up a proposal and submitted it to all board members as a means by which the organization can promote and market itself to the community and as well as to raise money and support for arts in the public. One item which I proposed, and was not accepted at the time, (like most of my ideas), was to offer art made by local artists into public places, including the offices of elected officials, waiting rooms of local physicians, attorneys and the like. Most agreed that it would be a good idea and a very inexpensive way for local artists to promote their works. An advantage is the cost, as the person exhibiting the works could purchase or sell it at a commission, whilst returning the works after 3 to 6 months. It was to be a win win situation for the community AND the artists.
As I said, everyone thought it was a good idea except for Ms Evangelical Christian who did not like to even speak to me (as I am an atheist!)

SO I find out later that this activity is now happening in this town, and Ms Evangelical Christian is telling everyone it is her idea and even got her picture in the paper talking about how she thought this would be so good for the community etc and what a great person she is for supporting the arts etc

I would like to see an article pointing out what a liar and hypocrite she really is. Why not point out how if she is such a self righteous women, why was she living in sin with her boyfriend, and why, if she was such a successful art manager (as she also claimed), she was living in a foreclosed house and on the verge of bankruptcy. (Which is how and why she got the job as director, she came across as pitiful and desperate and friends with a few other Christians on the board.)

I would like to point out too that this is not by any stretch of the imagination unique "Christian" behavior, but as I have seen actually quite common. It also makes a statement that says "I am a Christian but that means nothing, I still lie and cheat to get ahead". It shows that Hypocrisy is as alive and active in Christianity today, as much as it was when I left long ago. And it reminds me that I did the right thing by walking away. I would not want to imagine having to spend every Sunday in the company of people like this.

Prior to moving, I had actually got involved with a different, more successful art organization where my atheism was common and not an issue. However, It is a shame that Christians like this person will let their fear and hatred of anyone who has a different religious view control their actions. I know many atheists at other art centers who do not care about anyone else's religion, but that courtesy still does not exist from the Christian Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 06:10 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself"...it's apparent that the majority of Christians don't practice this and completely ignore this teaching. Just saying...

Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
So take "your original proposal" and mail a copy to the newspaper with the article about the idea she said is hers and prove her wrong. Then the newspaper can print the proposal with the date on it and your name and everyone who reads that paper will know she lies.

As far as how some who are religious treat others, not everyone does that so there should not be a blanket statement regarding Christian behavior. Not all athiests are as athiests in private as they profess in public either.

To ChristyGrl: Have you personally seen the "Majority of Christians who don't practice this"? No? Then how would you know for sure the "Majority" don't practice this??? Just saying....

Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
I agree with CSD610, make her out to be the liar she really is and those that supported her lies...Where was this anyway?...

Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
This was in FLorida. I do have a friend who works for the newspaper there, would like to mention to her how my ideas and legacy continue even though I have moved away.
She would be the person to talk to.
I think the whole thing is that any idea I had, no matter how good, was not heard by her because I was an atheist. People knew I was an atheist because in my art lectures, I spoke of people "inventing gods and great places to house them" as well as talked about man's evolution from communicating with cave paintings to the internet of today.

She was in reality, a nasty person. I went by to talk to her and she basically just ignored me, acted like I was not even there.
People like her serve to reinforce the negative stereotypes of fundamentalist Christians everywhere.
At least she does not have a pilots license for a 757.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:34 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So take "your original proposal" and mail a copy to the newspaper with the article about the idea she said is hers and prove her wrong. Then the newspaper can print the proposal with the date on it and your name and everyone who reads that paper will know she lies.

As far as how some who are religious treat others, not everyone does that so there should not be a blanket statement regarding Christian behavior. Not all athiests are as athiests in private as they profess in public either.

To ChristyGrl: Have you personally seen the "Majority of Christians who don't practice this"? No? Then how would you know for sure the "Majority" don't practice this??? Just saying....
I currently live in the bible belt...I've known more alleged Christians and been to more alleged Christian churches than I care to admit to...their behavior is atrocious and that is an understatement. I've travelled extensively and been to many alleged Christian churches in other states and overseas...they ALL behave the same. I've yet to walk into a church where the members actually live what Jesus taught. So, I've been around and seen more contemptible behavior from alleged Christians than I care to have seen, which makes me more than comfortable saying the majority of Christians don't practice what Jesus taught.

I know many people who live what Jesus taught but do not identify as "Christian" nor are they members of any Christian church...they actually WALK THE WALK by LOVING THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES (no matter who that neighbor is, what they believe, what their sexual orientation is, etc.). Just saying...

Old 09-28-2013, 04:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
So I am looking today at a recent article concerning a community art organization where I once lived. One of the people who became the art director is a self professed "devout" and "evangelical" Christian. This was about the time that my classes were cancelled because I had a nude model standing in front of the class in order to teach the people there how to draw.

Many years ago, when the arts association was getting started, I wrote up a proposal and submitted it to all board members as a means by which the organization can promote and market itself to the community and as well as to raise money and support for arts in the public. One item which I proposed, and was not accepted at the time, (like most of my ideas), was to offer art made by local artists into public places, including the offices of elected officials, waiting rooms of local physicians, attorneys and the like. Most agreed that it would be a good idea and a very inexpensive way for local artists to promote their works. An advantage is the cost, as the person exhibiting the works could purchase or sell it at a commission, whilst returning the works after 3 to 6 months. It was to be a win win situation for the community AND the artists.
As I said, everyone thought it was a good idea except for Ms Evangelical Christian who did not like to even speak to me (as I am an atheist!)

SO I find out later that this activity is now happening in this town, and Ms Evangelical Christian is telling everyone it is her idea and even got her picture in the paper talking about how she thought this would be so good for the community etc and what a great person she is for supporting the arts etc

I would like to see an article pointing out what a liar and hypocrite she really is. Why not point out how if she is such a self righteous women, why was she living in sin with her boyfriend, and why, if she was such a successful art manager (as she also claimed), she was living in a foreclosed house and on the verge of bankruptcy. (Which is how and why she got the job as director, she came across as pitiful and desperate and friends with a few other Christians on the board.)

I would like to point out too that this is not by any stretch of the imagination unique "Christian" behavior, but as I have seen actually quite common. It also makes a statement that says "I am a Christian but that means nothing, I still lie and cheat to get ahead". It shows that Hypocrisy is as alive and active in Christianity today, as much as it was when I left long ago. And it reminds me that I did the right thing by walking away. I would not want to imagine having to spend every Sunday in the company of people like this.

Prior to moving, I had actually got involved with a different, more successful art organization where my atheism was common and not an issue. However, It is a shame that Christians like this person will let their fear and hatred of anyone who has a different religious view control their actions. I know many atheists at other art centers who do not care about anyone else's religion, but that courtesy still does not exist from the Christian Right.
First of all....do you believe any tenet of Christianity told her to do that? Do you believe that other Christians would consider it a good and noble thing for her to do that?

Second of all...why does it surprise you that people that recognize they are sinners to the point that they are willing to bow their need to a savior, actually sin?

Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself"...it's apparent that the majority of Christians don't practice this and completely ignore this teaching. Just saying...
I think you got that wrong. I think the majority of PEOPLE don't realize that. Christians included. We are sinners, after all....and it shouldn't surprise you when sinners actually sin.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
"I would like to see an article pointing out what a liar and hypocrite she really is. Why not point out how if she is such a self righteous women, why was she living in sin with her boyfriend, and why, if she was such a successful art manager (as she also claimed), she was living in a foreclosed house and on the verge of bankruptcy. (Which is how and why she got the job as director, she came across as pitiful and desperate and friends with a few other Christians on the board."
I just can't help it, but this ran through my mind with King's statement....because I know some of these kinds these kinds

Harper Valley P.T.A. movie clip / singer Jeannie C. Riley - YouTube

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-28-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I'm an art student u don't need to see genitals to draw buddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality