Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times

Advertisements

I seem to have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and my coffee hasn't kicked in......so excuse me if I ruffle a few feathers.

To me, the person that knocks on my door, does so because his/her congregation expects him to do it. It's part of their 'Mission' to the world. So for that reason, I understand and merely tell them no thanks, not interested and close the door. It can be done politely. You close the door quietly and just leave them standing there. Then forget them. Don't discuss anything with them and they won't ruffle your feathers.

I told one group once that I was happy in the church where I was. If they wanted me to listen to them, then they had to promise that they would give me the same amount of time to explain my viewpoint. They decided to move on to more fertile ground.

Would you feel as if you had to object if they were trying to teach you a new way to cook? Or exercise? What is about faith or religion that gets you all upset? Perhaps it is time to study about what you don't believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
yes but they are the ones who NEED to be bothered. Normal decent people who are contributing members of society (even though they may not go to church) dont NEED to be bothered.
Nobody NEEDS to be bothered. Try talking to a crack/drug addict or a drunk. The only thing they care about is there next high and talking to them is like talking to a telephone pole. So unless a person likes to talk (just to talk) it's a waste of time.
The womens shelter, on the other hand, may or may not want to listen.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I seem to have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and my coffee hasn't kicked in......so excuse me if I ruffle a few feathers.

To me, the person that knocks on my door, does so because his/her congregation expects him to do it. It's part of their 'Mission' to the world. So for that reason, I understand and merely tell them no thanks, not interested and close the door. It can be done politely. You close the door quietly and just leave them standing there. Then forget them. Don't discuss anything with them and they won't ruffle your feathers.

I told one group once that I was happy in the church where I was. If they wanted me to listen to them, then they had to promise that they would give me the same amount of time to explain my viewpoint. They decided to move on to more fertile ground.

Would you feel as if you had to object if they were trying to teach you a new way to cook? Or exercise? What is about faith or religion that gets you all upset? Perhaps it is time to study about what you don't believe.
Padgett, I have my reasons. No one has ever told me I can't date their daughter because I cooked differently, or exercised differently. No one has told me that I was a "bastard" for not cooking or exercising in the same way. No one has bothered me persistently, and without end to get me to cook or exercise differently. No one has excluded me from social gatherings and get-togethers because I cooked or exercied differently. No one has broken up with me because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has told me I was 'hopeless' because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has told me that I am a bad person because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has hit me with a ruler in school because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has thrown eggs at my car because I cooked or exercised differently.
No one has stopped me in the bookstore and told me I was a 'heathen' because I bought a different exercise book or cookbook. I've never been afraid to talk about my cooking styles or exercise habits in the company of co-workers. I've never been afraid to talk about my cooking styles or exercise habits with other people.

Outside of personal experiences (all of the above have happened to me); no one through out history has been tortured, killed, maimed, disfigured, or burnt alive because they cooked differently or exercised differently as much as those who are different than the people knocking on my door. No one has ever lost their son or daughter in a war over who cooked differently.

No, I'm sorry Padgett, I don't need any further examination into why I don't want them knocking on my door promoting their "wonderful" faith. It's taken me a long enough time to adjust to the people on this forum and realize that not all Christians are bad people. But, for me, I want no part of their religion that creates a clear boundary between people. The impression I have always received is "You're either with us, or against us." That's not my doing, Padgett. That's the movement of the same people that are knocking on my door. So, no, just as you don't want the Ku Klux Klan knocking on your door to join them, I don't want Christians to knock on my door.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

i think it has to do with the invasion of privacy more than anything else. if i found a great new way to cook or exercise i may mention it to my friends or family but wouldnt knock on strangers doors to tell them about it.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Padgett, I have my reasons. No one has ever told me I can't date their daughter because I cooked differently, or exercised differently. No one has told me that I was a "bastard" for not cooking or exercising in the same way. No one has bothered me persistently, and without end to get me to cook or exercise differently. No one has excluded me from social gatherings and get-togethers because I cooked or exercied differently. No one has broken up with me because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has told me I was 'hopeless' because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has told me that I am a bad person because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has hit me with a ruler in school because I cooked or exercised differently. No one has thrown eggs at my car because I cooked or exercised differently.
No one has stopped me in the bookstore and told me I was a 'heathen' because I bought a different exercise book or cookbook. I've never been afraid to talk about my cooking styles or exercise habits in the company of co-workers. I've never been afraid to talk about my cooking styles or exercise habits with other people.

Outside of personal experiences (all of the above have happened to me); no one through out history has been tortured, killed, maimed, disfigured, or burnt alive because they cooked differently or exercised differently as much as those who are different than the people knocking on my door. No one has ever lost their son or daughter in a war over who cooked differently.

No, I'm sorry Padgett, I don't need any further examination into why I don't want them knocking on my door promoting their "wonderful" faith. It's taken me a long enough time to adjust to the people on this forum and realize that not all Christians are bad people. But, for me, I want no part of their religion that creates a clear boundary between people. The impression I have always received is "You're either with us, or against us." That's not my doing, Padgett. That's the movement of the same people that are knocking on my door. So, no, just as you don't want the Ku Klux Klan knocking on your door to join them, I don't want Christians to knock on my door.
Whoa! I do NOT want to live wherever you live. get out if you can because all of these things that have happened to you are totally unacceptable. you have every right to feel the way you do!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Nobody NEEDS to be bothered. Try talking to a crack/drug addict or a drunk. The only thing they care about is there next high and talking to them is like talking to a telephone pole. So unless a person likes to talk (just to talk) it's a waste of time.
The womens shelter, on the other hand, may or may not want to listen.
well o.k. if you say so but I dont think the crackheads and drunks should be given up on so easily. they are the ones that need religion the most.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Sorry, I didn't mean to irritate. I know only too well what you mean about being bothered. There was a time when those in our area were totally obnoxious about pushing things. Both my mother and an aunt became entranced by what they thought was Christian concern. boy were they fooled! It was join and give money, lots of money. But lately, the pressure seems to be lessened. Perhaps they have learned that kind of pressure does more harm than good.

I know that there are pockets of communities where the teaching of a particular church affect more than just their members. I don't think I could exist in such a place I would have to move into more tolerant surroundings.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
Whoa! I do NOT want to live wherever you live. get out if you can because all of these things that have happened to you are totally unacceptable. you have every right to feel the way you do!
I promise, I don't go out asking for this sort of thing. It's not like I am standing around promoting my ideas and have this sort of thing happen. More often than not, it's the result of a simple conversation. There was a girl I liked in high school. Her and I got along great and we had a lot of fun together. When she took me to meet her parents (her dad was a minister if I'm not mistaken) she told me that I had to tell them I was a Baptist. I suppose, being a teenager, I didn't realize the depth of why I had to say this. At the time, I considered myself a failing Catholic at best. We went inside and the first words out of his mouth were "Hi, I am Karen's father, what church do you go to?" I said "I don't really, but I used to go to such and such Catholic church." He didn't say much after that. He sat on the couch and didn't speak to me anymore. Later that night, after I dropped her off, she called me to tell me that she was forbidden to speak to me again because of my religion, or lack thereof. I guess I should have just said I was a Baptist. However, how would I respond to his questioning of how I feel about certain quotes in the Bible? Should I have based my relationship with this girl and her father around a lie? I suppose I should have. That hurt.

Something else I want to post. I read this on another forum recently. I think I should at least post the link as to give credit to the poster. I think every "Christian" should read this. I've debated putting this on here. It really makes me angry every time I read it.

On a thread started "What is the worst thing a theist has done to you" this was the response by a guy named "TheGrubb"

Back in high school I fell in love with a cute but highly religious girl named Debbie.

At the time, I was pretty skeptical of God and all that, but I wasn't really an Atheist. I just kinda went along with religion, since it was the way I was raised and literally everyone I have ever met believed in one religion or another.

I had only attended church maybe twice in my entire life until I met Debbie. So, I started attending, mostly in the hopes of impressing her, which all seemed to work out fairly well. Until, of course, I started asking questions about the various things that didn't make sense.

So, after about a year of trying to impress her, Debbie and I started dating. We dated for over a year despite the fact her parents hated me (without really knowing me). We kind of kept things low-key because of her parents and some of the other church members who thought it was their business. Long story short, Debbie and I dated for about a year, and it was probably the best year of my life.

Then September 11th happened, and excessive Fear and Paranoia became the everyday norm in America. Debbie's Church started preaching anti-Muslim crap, even though it was obvious that the preacher didn't know the **** he was talking about. He once even claimed that he went to India, and said he saw Muslims "Worshiping cows, and bathing in their urine" and one time even called Muslims "Sand-******s" ...which is literally and without sarcasm... The most disgusting and hateful word I have ever heard.

I couldn't believe he had said something like that. He seemed like a fairly descent man, even if I was skeptical of the things he said. But I just couldn't believe what I heard. There was even a black couple in congregation from Nigeria who just nodded and agreed, just like everyone else there. One older woman even cheered out with joy, exclaiming "That's Right!" Needless to say, I pretty much quit coming to church after that one.

I was still dated Debbie and all, despite her parent's wishes, and we were still in love with each other despite all the troubles that happened publicly and personally after September 11th. I completed High School in November (A year early) and started working at a video game store.

You see, I had it all figured out. My high school wasn't going to give me my diploma until my normal graduation date the following school year. So, I couldn't go to college yet, so what I was going to do is work my ass off, save some money, and buy Debbie and engagement ring and ask her to marry me. Then I was going to go to college, get my degree in Sociology or Psychology, get work somewhere where I can use my degrees to help people, then marry Debbie and live happily ever after.

So, everything was working out great. On new year's day, January 1st, 2002. I bought Debbie that engagement ring. A silver ring set with a topaz instead of a traditional gold ring set with a diamond. I bought it because topaz is the birthstone Debbie and I shared (we were both born in December) and it was set in silver because it resembled the snow and the cold of winter months than Debbie and I both enjoyed. Plus, the ring broke with the tradition and breaking with tradition is what was making our love work. So, I kept the ring hidden in a box of random crap in my closet for over a month, and decided I was going to ask her to marry me on Feb. 14th, Valentine's Day (Breaking tradition, right?)

Either way, she and I were going to do something the night of Feb. 7th. I forget why and what it was that we were going to do. But for some reason, her sister was driving her to meet me when a drunk driver decided try and speed though a red light and slammed into them hitting them in the passenger seat, right where Debbie was sitting.

Debbie was in the hospital for about a month before she died form her injuries.

I have trouble remembering all the things that happened to me after she died. I went into a sever depression, I had trouble focusing on my day-to-day life and other important things, I just couldn't deal with it and became suicidal.

To make things worse her church, despite claiming to be a place where people can come to find comfort when they're most in need, decided it was somehow my fault that she died. After all, according to her parents, I was "pulling her away from God" (even though it was more like she was pulling me towards him.) and that "God did this because of what I had done." They even had a big ceremony where forgave the drunk driver who killed her, but they blamed me. I would explain the situation further, but I have difficulty talking about these things too much. I still get pretty messed up sometimes when discussing this.

Either way, the point is that theists blamed me for the death of one of the most important people in my life, and on top of that, they denied me from ever being able to see her while she was dying in the hospital and worst of all have denied me from being able to morn at her grave when I've needed to. I still don't know where she's buried.

So, yeah, that's probably the worst thing theists have ever done to me.
TheGrubb

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - What is the worst thing a theist has done to you?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM

GCSTroop, I am sorry that you werent able to continue your relationship with the girl you liked so much in high school. i must say though that even if you had been able that your relationship with her would always be difficult because of her parents. i stupidly married into a very religous family and it gets in the way sometimes. my inlaws are wonderful wonderful people but they make me feel less than (even if it is not intentional) and i really had no idea what i was getting myself into. we will never see eye to eye and that puts a strain on the relationship.
Quote:
I promise, I don't go out asking for this sort of thing. It's not like I am standing around promoting my ideas and have this sort of thing happen. More often than not, it's the result of a simple conversation. There was a girl I liked in high school. Her and I got along great and we had a lot of fun together. When she took me to meet her parents (her dad was a minister if I'm not mistaken) she told me that I had to tell them I was a Baptist. I suppose, being a teenager, I didn't realize the depth of why I had to say this. At the time, I considered myself a failing Catholic at best. We went inside and the first words out of his mouth were "Hi, I am Karen's father, what church do you go to?" I said "I don't really, but I used to go to such and such Catholic church." He didn't say much after that. He sat on the couch and didn't speak to me anymore. Later that night, after I dropped her off, she called me to tell me that she was forbidden to speak to me again because of my religion, or lack thereof. I guess I should have just said I was a Baptist. However, how would I respond to his questioning of how I feel about certain quotes in the Bible? Should I have based my relationship with this girl and her father around a lie? I suppose I should have. That hurt.

Something else I want to post. I read this on another forum recently. I think I should at least post the link as to give credit to the poster. I think every "Christian" should read this. I've debated putting this on here. It really makes me angry every time I read it.

On a thread started "What is the worst thing a theist has done to you" this was the response by a guy named "TheGrubb"

Back in high school I fell in love with a cute but highly religious girl named Debbie.

At the time, I was pretty skeptical of God and all that, but I wasn't really an Atheist. I just kinda went along with religion, since it was the way I was raised and literally everyone I have ever met believed in one religion or another.

I had only attended church maybe twice in my entire life until I met Debbie. So, I started attending, mostly in the hopes of impressing her, which all seemed to work out fairly well. Until, of course, I started asking questions about the various things that didn't make sense.

So, after about a year of trying to impress her, Debbie and I started dating. We dated for over a year despite the fact her parents hated me (without really knowing me). We kind of kept things low-key because of her parents and some of the other church members who thought it was their business. Long story short, Debbie and I dated for about a year, and it was probably the best year of my life.

Then September 11th happened, and excessive Fear and Paranoia became the everyday norm in America. Debbie's Church started preaching anti-Muslim crap, even though it was obvious that the preacher didn't know the **** he was talking about. He once even claimed that he went to India, and said he saw Muslims "Worshiping cows, and bathing in their urine" and one time even called Muslims "Sand-******s" ...which is literally and without sarcasm... The most disgusting and hateful word I have ever heard.

I couldn't believe he had said something like that. He seemed like a fairly descent man, even if I was skeptical of the things he said. But I just couldn't believe what I heard. There was even a black couple in congregation from Nigeria who just nodded and agreed, just like everyone else there. One older woman even cheered out with joy, exclaiming "That's Right!" Needless to say, I pretty much quit coming to church after that one.

I was still dated Debbie and all, despite her parent's wishes, and we were still in love with each other despite all the troubles that happened publicly and personally after September 11th. I completed High School in November (A year early) and started working at a video game store.

You see, I had it all figured out. My high school wasn't going to give me my diploma until my normal graduation date the following school year. So, I couldn't go to college yet, so what I was going to do is work my ass off, save some money, and buy Debbie and engagement ring and ask her to marry me. Then I was going to go to college, get my degree in Sociology or Psychology, get work somewhere where I can use my degrees to help people, then marry Debbie and live happily ever after.

So, everything was working out great. On new year's day, January 1st, 2002. I bought Debbie that engagement ring. A silver ring set with a topaz instead of a traditional gold ring set with a diamond. I bought it because topaz is the birthstone Debbie and I shared (we were both born in December) and it was set in silver because it resembled the snow and the cold of winter months than Debbie and I both enjoyed. Plus, the ring broke with the tradition and breaking with tradition is what was making our love work. So, I kept the ring hidden in a box of random crap in my closet for over a month, and decided I was going to ask her to marry me on Feb. 14th, Valentine's Day (Breaking tradition, right?)

Either way, she and I were going to do something the night of Feb. 7th. I forget why and what it was that we were going to do. But for some reason, her sister was driving her to meet me when a drunk driver decided try and speed though a red light and slammed into them hitting them in the passenger seat, right where Debbie was sitting.

I have trouble remembering all the things that happened to me after she died. I went into a sever depression, I had trouble focusing on my day-to-day life and other important things, I just couldn't deal with it and became suicidal.

To make things worse her church, despite claiming to be a place where people can come to find comfort when they're most in need, decided it was somehow my fault that she died. After all, according to her parents, I was "pulling her away from God" (even though it was more like she was pulling me towards him.) and that "God did this because of what I had done." They even had a big ceremony where forgave the drunk driver who killed her, but they blamed me. I would explain the situation further, but I have difficulty talking about these things too much. I still get pretty messed up sometimes when discussing this.

Either way, the point is that theists blamed me for the death of one of the most important people in my life, and on top of that, they denied me from ever being able to see her while she was dying in the hospital and worst of all have denied me from being able to morn at her grave when I've needed to. I still don't know where she's buried.

TheGrubb

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - What is the worst thing a theist has done to you?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:59 AM

Default bathing in urine

i actually did see this on tv recently. it was a tribe in africa. i do not know if they had a certain religion but yes i do think they had great respect for the cows. they showed boys nursing on the cows and they showed them showering under the cows tails and getting urinating on (the amount of urine was shocking) and the reason for this was because the urine changes their hair color to a reddish orange which they found attractive.
Quote:

TheGrubb

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality