U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:14 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,026,128 times

Advertisements

i have always wondered this and no one can seem to answer. i want to know if you think he punishes people in this life (im not speaking of hell)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 02:21 PM

21,625 posts, read 30,200,893 times
No I do not believe God punishes us. We live in a sinful world and feel the effects of that and the consequences of when we sin.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 PM

339 posts, read 1,049,599 times
Default A loving God

I think that we have a loving God, and that his heart breaks for us when we are in pain. I have often thought that things that happened to me were punishment - but looking back, it was my own feelings of guilt made me think that way.

Why is there so much suffering in the world? My thought is that much of it doesn't come from God but from the free will choices of man. Cancer often is linked to the toxins in our environment. War, crime, and the evil things that people do to each other are rise from greed, pride, anger and lack of respect for human life.

The laws in the bible I read are given to us out of love - to keep us from hurting ourselves and others.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:38 PM

21,625 posts, read 30,200,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
I think that we have a loving God, and that his heart breaks for us when we are in pain. I have often thought that things that happened to me were punishment - but looking back, it was my own feelings of guilt made me think that way.

Why is there so much suffering in the world? My thought is that much of it doesn't come from God but from the free will choices of man. Cancer often is linked to the toxins in our environment. War, crime, and the evil things that people do to each other are rise from greed, pride, anger and lack of respect for human life.

The laws in the bible I read are given to us out of love - to keep us from hurting ourselves and others.
Yes I agree with this, I can't give any more rep points for 24 hours or I would have given you some.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:06 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,072,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i have always wondered this and no one can seem to answer. i want to know if you think he punishes people in this life (im not speaking of hell)?
One could argue that there is no good or bad, or right and wrong.
That God created everything,saw that it was good, and set the laws of the universe in place.
The rest is nothing more than a reaction to an action.
ie: If I run full bore at a brick wall, head first, I'll get a headache.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:51 PM

7,282 posts, read 17,222,431 times
I don't think that God punishes us but that we punish ourselves.
He's in some religions, a loving God. Someone that is loving is not going to want to punish us.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 6,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I don't think that God punishes us but that we punish ourselves.
He's in some religions, a loving God. Someone that is loving is not going to want to punish us.
I think that we punish ourselves, and we deserve the punishment when it's due. God is probably laughing at us!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,165,444 times
I'd say no. I've seen too many "bad" people live very happy lives here on Earth and many "good" people lead lives of hardship.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,783,679 times
I dunno if God punishes people, but the fact that the world is a dog-eat-dog ( or god-eat-god) world is the making of man.
We choose who we worship.
It's either love or money (as in materialism).

Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,455,098 times
If you think He does, then, for all practical purposes, He does.

If you believe your bad luck is just bad luck, then, it's not God doing the punishment. It's just your own behavior bouncing back to bite you on the behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality