Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,990,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Growing up I was taught that in some way every person born shares in Adam's guilt for committing Original Sin.

Is that true?

Is that just?

Do all Christians believe this?
How could any of us know what all Christians believe? It is very disheartening when adults phrase questions in this manner.

The penalty for Adam's sin is death, if a creation denies death then (perhaps) it has escaped 'the curse'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,981,299 times
Quote:
Growing up I was taught that in some way every person born shares in Adam's guilt for committing Original Sin.

Is that true?

Is that just?

I guess one would have to ask, "what is sin"?

In the Gospel of Mary, the Christ is asked what is the nature of sin, the Christ responded, "there is no sin, only that in which you call sin, such as adultery ..........." So the nature of sin becomes a moral delima, seeings how sin is a concept brought forth from the Abrahamic belief system, then it belong to those who follow this system of thought.

For myself, I don't buy into this concept, nor do I buy into the idea that the Christ came into this world to atone for mankinds "sins". For myself, I see the Christ as pointing to the direction in which mankind can become more aware of itself in the aspect of spirituality, however, most stop looking in the direction and only focus one who's doing the pointing.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,193,550 times
Quote:

Is that true?

Is that just?

No, no, to some degree.

OS is just another man made invention of socio-political control. The OT is as clear as mud as it is inferred that descendants are responsible for the sins of their father and elsewhere it infers that they are not.

Sins of the father
Exodus 34:7 - Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation]
No Sins of the Father
20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
How anyone can take the bible as something of authority when there are clearly two conflicting doctrines beats me.

The aspect of generational curses is taught in pentecostal and charismatic circles, I know as the folk prayed for me to break these imaginary chains. All this twaddle merely works off the presupposition of the original sin of man and is perpetuated in the NT to make women less than worthy as Eve sinned first. The deluded folk will go to great lengths to support this doctrine of OS as the say, misery seeks company.

All people are born agnostic. You have to be taught to be a Richard.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:18 AM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Default Are infants really guilty of Adam's Original Sin?

Of course NOT! What a preposterous idea. An infant is not guilty of ANY sin, period.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The whole point is that we are all born sinners - meaning no one here on earth is a "perfect" person.

No one is saying that newborn babies have committed any sin
RESPONSE:

Not committed. Share the guilt of Adam's sin.

How do you interpret the phrase "in whom" as in

Romans 5:12 Wherefore as by one man sin entered into this world, and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned. [Old Latin Bible]

Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course NOT! What a preposterous idea. An infant is not guilty of ANY sin, period.

RESPONSE:

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, [Exodus 20:5 ESV]

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. [Isaiah 14:21 NAB]

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. [Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT]

This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: 'I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses.' [1 Samuel 15:2-3 NAB]

Last edited by ancient warrior; 10-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Romans 5:12 Wherefore as by one man sin entered into this world, and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned. [Old Latin Bible]

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, [Exodus 20:5 ESV]

Etc., etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I guess one would have to ask, "what is sin"?

In the Gospel of Mary, the Christ is asked what is the nature of sin, the Christ responded, "there is no sin, only that in which you call sin, such as adultery ..........." So the nature of sin becomes a moral delima, seeings how sin is a concept brought forth from the Abrahamic belief system, then it belong to those who follow this system of thought.

For myself, I don't buy into this concept, nor do I buy into the idea that the Christ came into this world to atone for mankinds "sins". For myself, I see the Christ as pointing to the direction in which mankind can become more aware of itself in the aspect of spirituality, however, most stop looking in the direction and only focus one who's doing the pointing.
Wow, where did you come from...another example of how
there is hope for human evolvement...yet another person
shedding the antiquated beliefs of centuries embedded in
Man's consciousness regarding this word "sin".
Thank you!

It's like there are so many more little Joanathan Livingston Seagulls
flying above the crowd still searching, heads down, for scraps on the beach.
Yay!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
Quote:
Romans 5:12 Wherefore as by one man sin entered into this world,
and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned. [Old Latin Bible]

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the
iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation
of those who hate me, [Exodus 20:5 ESV]

Etc., etc.
My rhetorical question to those that believe all these verses is...
Said like Rosanna Roseanna Dana or Elaine Benis to George....
"Have ya ever experienced God?"

Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM

7,291 posts, read 6,872,235 times
Disobedience is sin. Excluding God's govern is sin.
The only way not to sin is to be in God's govern obeying Him. Jesus provided that via the Holy spirit to those that Love God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality