Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,394,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Years ago while on a fieldtrip, I had one of my geology students refuse to look at a fossiliferous limestone outcrop because she thought the fossils were planted by Satan.
How in the world did you ever keep from cuttin up, laughing your head off and looking very unprofessional in front of your students

Sounds almost like that gal poster here awhile back that informed me that God magically created 'Old Growth' forest trees like 10' diameter redwoods with no growth rings. I am beginning to think that God's worst enemy isn't Satan anymore, but those who claim to believe in him. Kidding

On the subject of a Jurassic Period, I suppose there was something in the way of a specific time frame of an era, but did'nt become a Jurassic Period till some intellectual coined the phraze.

Last night I saw an interesting documentary on the History Channel dealing with not only the sudden extinction of Mammoths (which of course was the main subject matter discussed) everywhere on the planet, but also the entire disruption of life here on earth in general at the same time period. They were somewhere in Southeastern Arizona where in an old wash that was cut into the hill side, there was a distinct black layer of earth about a foot wide all along this wash at the same exact depth. Just right at and below this black layer were the fossil bones of mammoths and spear points of those ancient hunters. The black layer was found to be where a rather wet period happen and alge and moss grew in abundance. Then there was several feet of a sedimentary layer of earth on top of that. I've seen many scientific findings and discoveries over the years from the 1970s when I started paying attention to them , of herds of large animals that died off suddenly. This has also been found throughout the earth in different places.

I think that's why I miss the desert of the Southwest so much. I miss geology. The Salton Sea area in Imperial and Coachella Valleys are a fascinating area. Against the eastern end of the Santa Rosa mountains you can see the ancient sea level. The Cahuilla Indian Fish Traps at the end of Jackson Avenue south are fascinating as well. The lake apparently was fresh or at least brackish water. The bones of Colorado Pikeminnow (formerly Squawfish), Colorado Razor & Humpback Suckers were found in the bottom of some of these traps as well. I believe a natural history museum has them somewhere down there.

What a shame that some myths do get in the way of the truth of what could otherwise be some really awesome research and findings. Again, some of God's worst enemies are of the religious kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,805,792 times
The SW has some pretty impressive Geology. Last year one of my old professors gave a talk at a "Sons of Norway" meeting about the Geology of Norway and Sweden. Very interesting. I had been to Norway a few years earlier so I could relate to it.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,131,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I've heard this one before which is amusing considering the torah is about 5700 years old.When I was previously discussing primates another person tried to break it down scientifically that we are still classified as them. What I was talking about was in laymans terms. Adam,then virtually apes, then man again. Also this isn't the Land of the Lost. I don't think we existed when dinosaurs were around otherwise we would have just been appetizers.
Ya, I can just see it now, Adam & Eve running around trying to gather up the kids yelling, "quick grab the kids, here comes T-Rex"!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
How in the world did you ever keep from cuttin up, laughing your head off and looking very unprofessional in front of your students
Although comments like that were a rarity, in fact this was the only one I had ever heard, and this was at a major Southern Baptist university, laughing was not my response. In my mind, I was but also realizing this person was most likely one of the EE (Elementary Education) or business majors , fulfilling a credit requirement - hopefully - and not wanting to persue a career in the petroleum industry as a geologist or geophysicist, which would really cause a crisis in her faith.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,515,218 times
Quote:
Although comments like that were a rarity, in fact this was the only one I had ever heard, and this was at a major Southern Baptist university, laughing was not my response. In my mind, I was but also realizing this person was most likely one of the EE (Elementary Education) or business majors , fulfilling a credit requirement - hopefully - and not wanting to persue a career in the petroleum industry as a geologist or geophysicist, which would really cause a crisis in her faith.
thundering applause to this!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM

205 posts, read 374,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Ya, I can just see it now, Adam & Eve running around trying to gather up the kids yelling, "quick grab the kids, here comes T-Rex"!
.................................................. ..................................the lost world was first , were dinosaurs and neanderthals once lived on earth millions of years under the rulership of lucifer...... the second world we live in now ,,,thats were adam and eve come in....

Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jack View Post
.................................................. ..................................the lost world was first , were dinosaurs and neanderthals once lived on earth millions of years under the rulership of lucifer...... the second world we live in now ,,,thats were adam and eve come in....
I'm glad we have so many people with a sense of humor on CD, "The devil made them do it", that a good one LMAO over that one. Next thing ya know someones going to say that Barney the Purple Dinosaur is the devils product. And ladies and gentlemen, the third world we have to travel to Mars be teleportation for our vacations. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Sorry, no harm meant, just havin some fun. LOL

Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'm glad we have so many people with a sense of humor on CD, "The devil made them do it", that a good one LMAO over that one. Next thing ya know someones going to say that Barney the Purple Dinosaur is the devils product. And ladies and gentlemen, the third world we have to travel to Mars be teleportation for our vacations. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Sorry, no harm meant, just havin some fun. LOL
The Flinstones was really a documentary.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Talking Gotta love that Bill Maher

Quote:
The Flinstones was really a documentary.
My DW and I watched Bill Maher's "Religulous", and he was talking to some folks at a museum in Kentucky were they believe that man a dinos lived on the earth at the same time. The rel funny part was when they showed a Triceratops with a saddle on it, OMG now that took the cake, talk about your clueless brain washed dipsticks. Well, I guess the world needs the simple minded people in it too .

So maybe the Flinstones was a documentary .

Old 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:

So maybe the Flinstones was a documentary .
I wasn't being too flippant. I was watching an episode of the Daily Show, where one of the correspondants was interviewing "Dr" Carl Baugh in his Creation Science Museum. Carl was standing next to a video monitor that was playing an episode of The Flintstones. He said that this, while a children's cartoon, may not have been too far removed from the truth in depicting how people and dinosaurs actually interacted. Some would have been kept as pets, disposing of their garabage, hitching rides on pterodactyls, used as beasts of burden, etc.. and he was qite serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality