Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that the Jurassic Period exist? Thats the question. As for myself, yes it did, or why else would we be finding all of these 2 Mil. + years old bones.

I ask this question because, on HBO when Toni Soprano was in the hospital after the gunshot wound that he received from his Uncle Junior. A person came in to witness to him about God and told him that dinosaurs never existed. Infact nothing existed before the Genesis of the Bible.

So, after hearing this and being told by a couple of freinds that they had also been told this to their faces by a few religious groups. I thought that this would be a great thread to put out on the wire.

Truthfully I think that this kind of thinking is real simple minded and closed minded as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
There is a major difference between reality science and telivision Im sorry you have trouble telling the difference between the two.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Question A simple question

Sorry that you see the need to be so contemptable.

I'm just useing the TV show as a point. And I do know the difference between make beleive and real life. Are you one of those people that think dinosaurs never walked the face of the earth before man?

I'm just asking this question because there are alot of religious fruit cakes that don't beleive they did.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,110 times
I believe in biblical creationism (Genesis as truth). I believe there were dinosaurs that walked the earth. I just disagree with the date.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Cool Please Explain

I fully respect your personal belief in what you have been taught. But could you please be more specific in your meaning and thoughts.

I also believe in the Bible, but I'm trying to be open minded to the fact that the earth has been around for billions of years and that other thing walked on it long before man ever did "the men that started writing that is". Like the dinosaurs, and yes, then neanderthals (caveman), as well. Science seems to have alot of evidence to support this, like all of the bones they find in all of the different regions of the earth that pre-date the Biblical times. And lets not forget the iceage as well, how ever many there might have been before us.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
My next door neighbor from when I was young told me they planted the bones and made them out of chemical material that resembles bone to brainwash the world and discourage Christianity.*giggle*

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Loads of LOL

SmerkyGrl,

Loved your reply. My best half and I are still laughing about it.

So, what institution is your neighbor living in now.

Thats quite an undertaking to pull that off globaly.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Ooops

I miss spelled "Period". My Bad!
gotta poke fun at myself.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I fully respect your personal belief in what you have been taught. But could you please be more specific in your meaning and thoughts.

I also believe in the Bible, but I'm trying to be open minded to the fact that the earth has been around for billions of years and that other thing walked on it long before man ever did "the men that started writing that is". Like the dinosaurs, and yes, then neanderthals (caveman), as well. Science seems to have alot of evidence to support this, like all of the bones they find in all of the different regions of the earth that pre-date the Biblical times. And lets not forget the iceage as well, how ever many there might have been before us.
Well, this reply will open a whole can of worms, so be prepared. My views are mocked and ridiculed and belittled, but you say you're interested and will respect my beliefs, so here goes .. <again>..

First, for those who believe in Jesus, holding the opinion that the world is as old as science thinks it is has no bearing on salvation. It's just an inconsistency, IMO, with a believer's faith in Jesus and/or God's Word. But I've come to realize many believers in Jesus have many different beliefs. It's what one feels comfortable with, I suppose. The important thing for believers, IMO, is to believe in Jesus and follow Him. That being said....

I personally believe the Bible is God's Word and is wholly reliable and trustworthy on all topics upon which it speaks. That being said, the Bible teaches all land animals (which would include dinosaurs) were created on day six of creation week, the same day as man. Therefore, yes, dinosaurs did exist and yes, we do find their fossils. The Bible teaches that God created mankind (beginning with Adam) in His image. This means fully human, with intelligence, capable of learning, talking, writing, etc.

So, how do I view the scientific evidence presented? Very different from others. As I said, I know fossils exist. What I don't accept just on faith is the dates they assign these fossils. It is my belief there are many erroneous assumptions made in the different radiometric testing processes and due to these errors fossils are assigned very old dates that are incorrect.

Yes, I believe there was an ice age, just not millions of years ago. I believe Neanderthals are descendants of Adam, as all humans are. They may have slight variations as compared to humans of today, but they are still human. I don't believe them to be any part of a "branch" in a supposed evolutionary bush of human ancestry.

As far as pre-dating biblical history, it depends on when you believe the human relationship to God began. I believe it began at the beginning. All of Adam's decendants had knowledge of this relationship. Whether it was written or not at the time, no one knows. I believe as the decendants of Adam spread across the globe, their knowledge of their relationsihp with God became distorted and this is how other various religions got their start. I believe the Bible is the original and accurate depiction of history and faith.

Hope that makes some sense of my beliefs. I'm sure others will be along shortly to tear it apart or what have you. But that's their prerogative. There are several threads dealing with this topic, if you'll do a seach on creationism, theistic evolution, noah's ark or evolution. They have a lot of information in them as well from all different viewpoints.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 AM

109 posts, read 205,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
So, how do I view the scientific evidence presented? Very different from others. As I said, I know fossils exist. What I don't accept just on faith is the dates they assign these fossils. It is my belief there are many erroneous assumptions made in the different radiometric testing processes and due to these errors fossils are assigned very old dates that are incorrect.
It amazes me how theist are more than happy to accept scientific dating methods when it comes to 'biblical archaeology' yet reject it wholesale when the very same methods of dating things discredit their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality