Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think it's mostly a Jewish thing but there may be other groups with the same idea. The idea being, that out of respect for god, you never actually write his name. I guess god is He Who Must Not Be Named. It probably is intended to create reverential awe of god and discourage casual and trivialized use of his name, but to me it just comes off like an odd literary tic.
Yes, but the spoken and written NAME of God is YHWH. (I don't have Hebrew characters available.)

It was considered blasphemous to speak the name of God. The word "god" though, is just a generic term, like "allah" which is not an official name of a god, but just an Arabic word, generically used in place of "god."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
This just sounds like a church service.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetprince View Post
There are many great religions. Check them out.
Francis David famously said, "We need not believe alike to love alike."

Jesus is just one of many, equally worthy, ways of understanding God.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Isn't it the Christians who have based their faith on God appearing as a man, Jesus, in order that they would have faith.
Christianity is simply Judaism 2.0

Just like Islam is Christianity 2.0

Aside from needing a messiah, I think those of the Christian faith needed a God (Jesus) that really did represent love, kindness, tolerance, and forgiveness.

The Hebrew God is a nasty thing. Note that, aside from freeing the Hebrews from Egyptian bondage, this God has done nothing for anyone. All he did was murder, destroy, and rage .... and sometimes he told his followers to do the same. There is nothing particularly good or moral about the Hebrew God and no reason to worship this god even if he does exist.

The Hebrew god represents the stick whereas Jesus represents the carot. Which would you pick?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Drop and run O.P.,

Are we to expect that the fish, wheat, and sheep to the right side will not be salted and fried in anointing oil? Sure the bad meat and weeds will be thrown to the burning trash heap (at least that's the story); but isn't the demiurge simply an undemocratic kingship that wants it's food cooked. According to the Bible, heaven is hotter than Hell. According to the Song of God from the Hindus the Universal form of the avatar of the Sustainor is like a thousand Suns. Surely you will cook in such presence. Will your Monotheist god mask itself in dark clouds as he did when he met with the seventy elders of Israel? But wait, the Prodigal Son never accepted the suicidal blood sacrifice of Jesus, will you be a bitter brother when faced with the sourness of your incomplete love?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I think you have that backwards...

"Religion is rebellion against the True and Living God."

I can explain later if you need me to...but for me it is obvious.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, but the spoken and written NAME of God is YHWH.

It was considered blasphemous to speak the name of God.
But, you can't speak the Name of God...It is unspeakable...before there were even tongues as a thought
in the Mind of God, let alone pens and paper.

The Name of God or the Sat Nam is to be experienced, not spoken.
Heard and felt not debated about.

With respect.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I think you have that backwards...

"Religion is rebellion against the True and Living God."

I can explain later if you need me to...but for me it is obvious.
No need to s'plain to me, Miss H. Your words are righteous and true.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Christianity is simply Judaism 2.0

Just like Islam is Christianity 2.0
Islam might be able to be referred to as Judaism 3.0 or perhaps Judaism 2A.0 (but even those are both iffy), but I do not think it make sense referring to it as Christianity 2.0. Muhammad was born into a pagan, idol worshiping society. I believe that, while he had casual exposure to Christianity growing up, his first significant exposure to Christianity actually took place after his professed first revelation. By that time we can assume that Muhammad was already firmly in the "there is One God" camp (held to by modern Jews), and never had any affinity with the trinitarian perspective of the (post-Nicean) Christians, except perhaps amicable coexistence therewith.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetprince View Post
There are many great religions. Check them out.
The Bible states there are many gods of the heathen (unbelieving nations), but in the end only one is true.

In the end, we will all have to face the truth.

To reject the Words of Jesus and His Sacrificial death for Your sin results in a Just God justly pronouncing the sentence that could have been judged on that cross on your own person. Every ungodly thought will be made manifest to all of Heaven before a Holy God...Eternal shame and regret.. the Bible says there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

How can a JUST God justify sinful Man?

Only the cross of JESUS the Christ / Messiah .. GOD manifest in the flesh

John 12:48
He that rejects me, and receives not my words, has one that judges him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

John 5:25
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 3:36
He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.

"Abides" in the Greek is "Meno" meaning "ongoing continuous"..

We want the JUSTICE of God for our rebellion appeased on Calvary freely receiving His undeserving Pardon for our rebellion.

He is reaching out to you.. Are you going to receive His offer of forgiveness? God gave His only begotten Son FOR YOU.. (and me)... How do YOU think HE feels when you reject His Son's death?

Or are you going to be as the Thief on the cross that scoffed, mocked, and now is awaiting resurrection unto the Great White Throne Judgment? One Thief came to JESUS for Salvation.. The other Mocked..

Two responses.. which one are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality