Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
The Bible is an endless well of truth and valid historical document.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Your claim is disproven in the first chapter of the first book. The Earth was NOT formed before the Sun, like your ancient text claims. We know that to be a fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Where did you get that stupid assumption from?

Simple. Gravity. And your video does nothing to discount his point. Do you understand how debate works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

691 posts, read 641,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Simple. Gravity. And your video does nothing to discount his point. Do you understand how debate works?
Have you ever walked on the frozen when the sun and moon stood still? [So what is there to debate then?]

How did mass evolve? LOL it just appeared outsa nunthon? Have you ever tasted space? [I hear they say it tastes like chicken-but I would it say it tastes more like the nectar of the Gods]

Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Have you ever walked on the frozen when the sun and moon stood still? [So what is there to debate then?]
What? Nonsensical. The sun and moon from our perspective cannot "stand still". The sun seems to move due to the earth's rotation. The moon moves due to it's orbit and the earth's rotation. Therefor they can never "stand still" Laws of gravity and all.

Quote:
How did mass evolve? LOL it just appeared outsa nunthon? Have you ever tasted space? [I hear they say it tastes like chicken-but I would it say it tastes more like the nectar of the Gods]
Mass "evolves" due to gravity. The question is where did matter come from? Since the universe has never had "nothing" the question is a silly one.

And you can't taste space cause you'd be dead.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Repeat: process, process process.

Despite it's prior mere predictability, as scientific study always produces, we now have the Higgs boson particle. which was predicted as a necessary but at that point unavailable particle many years ago, was then found ("Oh no! That simply can't be! We need a invisible Godly nose-wiggle here! No no..." cut to vision of wild crazed guy running down the street pulling at what's left of his pretty ragged hair mass..).

Proven: what starts out as mystery and mere prediction always turns up as either a substantive revelation within the "magic workings" of rational predictive physics, or also very often, as at the lest a new avenue to explore, one that at least bears the possibility of a logical direction.

That is what the Higgs particle hath provided to us. (Oh and thanks, Large Hadron Collider! Money well spent! Higgs in hand, big question answered!). I.e.: Mass in an otherwise massless universe! Go ahead: look it up and read abouditt!

The basics of the Higgs boson - Dave Barney and Steve Goldfarb | TED-Ed

Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Wow! There's some serious readin' here huh? But then, you didn't expect the explanation for the entirety of the mass in the Universe to just roll out in one page the way your bible covers the more involved stuff, did you? I didn't think so. Give physics and thinking credit where it's due, n'Kay?

So for Dr. Higgs... "Huzzah!" Oh and yeah... OK: Praise Dah Lawdy all to heck! For, you know, His glorious direction!

...or for our individual very insightful open-minded imaginative thinking. It's called answering to the endless beckoning of a Scientific Process.

Because... always remember, folks: It's ONLY a PROCESS, NOT ever a body of accumulated nor absolute knowledge.....

Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Where did you get that stupid assumption from?

So, you believe the Earth was "just here" and then the Sun appeared and suddenly the Earth started revolving around it, for no apparent reason? You seem to know little about astronomy. Maybe a view at some pictures taken by the Hubble telescope of the Orion Nebula, showing the forming of a new solar system, would help.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM

Default Humility sure ain't us!

Quote:

Fact is that over the past few dozen decades, under the rational scrutiny of The SM, we have indeed elucidated much of what was so obviously factual. (Not to mention that which is so easily shown from within from this massively ignorant video to be pure and overwhelming technical illiteracy, that approach being so much of what Christianity requires of it's obedient and conceptual adherent peons.

No, mass didn't evolve out of your favorite alter-argument process, only used when it suits you.

We thinker scientists just had a wholly predictable idea based on the advanced research of a few decades ago, of a particle or entity that "had to be". Or else we were totally off-base, which scientists can and often do accept. Unlike Christian mysticism.

So then we objectively tested for that "thing", [the Higgs...] looking to either discount our own ideas and have to go off in another research direction, or to CONFIRM the existence.

Thanks, Large Hadron Collider, for absolutely confirming it.

Since the acquisition of the Higgs boson particle did comes up as a repeatable confirmation, but you don't like it, then you take to knee-jerk reactionism to out-yowl that demonstrable idea. For sure, this is always such a good and compelling come-back, deadwood!

So, where does that leave your tenuous spiritually-based ideas, as unsupported as they are? Hmmm??

Last Facts? To allow or even consider any otherwise competing concepts would be to lose an honest debate without any mature dignity or humility. Not that you guys will ever participate in such an honest debate with simple Yes/No answers to equally simple questions. We've seen that forever right here!

OK then! God save Christians from any rationally-based humility after all... God will save 'em!

http://kindawonderful.typepad.com/ph...plausecard.gif

Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM

691 posts, read 641,307 times
Quote:
What? Nonsensical. The sun andmoon from our perspective cannot "stand still". The sun seems to movedue to the earth's rotation. The moon moves due to it's orbit and the earth'srotation. Therefor they can never "stand still" Laws of gravity andall.
Interesting use of the word perspective, that is veryaccurate, from your perspective you cannot see how the sun and the moon stoodstill. But none the less you hold on tothe concept that the earth’s rotation iswhat makes the sun appear to rotate [?]
Pretty Swift, believing that the sun appears to rotate, do you think the terrestrial body of the sun is spinning on its axislike the earth?

Quote:
Mass "evolves" due to gravity. The question is where did matter come from? Since the universe has never had "nothing" the question is a silly one.

So if the Universe had substance prior to its creation, thenit existed before the big bang?

Then if it existed before it came into existence, theuniverse did not actually begin but rapidly transformed it's physical nature into an expanse of space, time and energy.

At one time in the Universe, I did not physically exist nor did I have any way to exist except but by procreation which took a progenitor. It took the natural processof procreation to form my physical body of flesh. So I take it that the theory of evolution isbased upon the premise that the Universe originated by the life process of nature? Procreation!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Oh gawd, yet again!

Quote:
At one time in the Universe, I did not physically exist nor did I have any way to exist except but by procreation which took a progenitor. It took the natural process of procreation to form my physical body of flesh.

So I take it that the theory of evolution is based upon the premise that the Universe originated by the life process of nature? Procreation![/color]
Another demo of a vast illiteracy on what Evolution does, and what it has so easily accomplished. Wow!

Evolution is solely responsible for the ongoing diversification of existing life, of new and or slightly revised niche-filling species etc. It has NEVER had any hand in Procreation, of the origins and genesis of life itself, and so on.

Why do you guys resist even a little bit of reading up on basic biology? Are you THAT frightened of seeing how it all works?

Seems so.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting use of the word perspective, that is veryaccurate, from your perspective you cannot see how the sun and the moon stoodstill. But none the less you hold on tothe concept that the earth’s rotation iswhat makes the sun appear to rotate [?]
Pretty Swift, believing that the sun appears to rotate, do you think the terrestrial body of the sun is spinning on its axislike the earth?

So if the Universe had substance prior to its creation, thenit existed before the big bang?

Then if it existed before it came into existence, theuniverse did not actually begin but rapidly transformed it's physical nature into an expanse of space, time and energy.

At one time in the Universe, I did not physically exist nor did I have any way to exist except but by procreation which took a progenitor. It took the natural processof procreation to form my physical body of flesh. So I take it that the theory of evolution isbased upon the premise that the Universe originated by the life process of nature? Procreation!

The sun moves across the sky due to earth's rotation. While the sun does rotate we can't tell with the naked eye that it is. The point is celestial bodies don't stop moving across the sky because for them to stop the earth would need to stop rotating. And if that happened almost all life on this planet would cease to exist.

To postulate what was before the Big Bang would be nothing but pure guess work. But we have no basis to believe that there was "nothing". This universe could be one in a long line of universes. We simply don't know. You assume that before the universe came to be there was nothing.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood;31824726[COLOR=black
]Interesting use of the word perspective, that is veryaccurate, from your perspective you cannot see how the sun and the moon stoodstill. But none the less you hold on tothe concept that the earth’s rotation iswhat makes the sun appear to rotate [?][/color]
Yes, as a matter of fact, the sun does rotate on its axis. The evidence for that are the sunspots. They 'move' at a different rate relative to the Earth's orbit around the sun.

Quote:

Who said the universe had a substance or existed before it existed, before the Big Bang? That doesn't make any sense. I don't think cosmology a subject you understand. Before the Big Bang there was no universe. If there was no universe, then at some point it obviously did not exist. In other words, the universe is something from nothing. Exactly why the Big Bang banged remains unknown and is beyond our knowledge and experience. The only frame of reference we have is within the universe which evolved after the event.

Quote:
Just because you exist as a result of sexual procreation, doesn't mean the universe required a progenitor to come into existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality