Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Of course you are speaking only of one specific collection of holy books which concern (for the most part) one god: Yahweh (patron deity of some sects of ancient Hebrews.)

What of other scriptures from other cultures and time periods?

Are you going to claim that the Judeo-Christian holy texts are somehow more valid or accurate than those of any other religion/culture/belief system?

Why?

On what would you base such a claim?

The "descriptions" of God in the Bible are, like all things said of any gods who have ever been named or believed in anywhere at any time, the creation of the human imagination and nothing more.

These writings may well be inspired by hopes and thoughts and heartfelt emotions regarding this or that deity or pantheon of deities, and for all we know, some of them from one culture or other may actually BE inspired by an actual invisible supernatural entity. No reason to believe that outright, but it does exist within the realm of possibility.

But certainly we cannot read any scripture from any religion and think we are reading the "biography" of some god. That's childish nonsense.
I usually focus in on Christianity because that is the prevailing religion in the Western world. But I don't give any other fantasy story much validity either as Truth or History. They are stories. One can learn a great deal from stories, so they have their value.

But when people start claiming that these fantasies are actually reality and we should start living our lives as if they were reality, I draw the line. A big, fat, very dark line.

So I see the Torah, the Quran, the Vedas, and any other "holy book" in the same way I see The Iliad, Odyssey, the Mahabharata, and the story of Osiris. They are myths designed to teach through story - NOT to be taken as literal truth.

I completely agree that any book that claims to be "god's biography" should be read with a grain of salt so large it would dry out the Pacific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,623 times
Default Why bad things happen to good people

Have a look at the article in here. Hope it helps.

Watchtower Magazine, July*2014

Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I usually focus in on Christianity because that is the prevailing religion in the Western world. But I don't give any other fantasy story much validity either as Truth or History. They are stories. One can learn a great deal from stories, so they have their value.

But when people start claiming that these fantasies are actually reality and we should start living our lives as if they were reality, I draw the line. A big, fat, very dark line.

So I see the Torah, the Quran, the Vedas, and any other "holy book" in the same way I see The Iliad, Odyssey, the Mahabharata, and the story of Osiris. They are myths designed to teach through story - NOT to be taken as literal truth.

I completely agree that any book that claims to be "god's biography" should be read with a grain of salt so large it would dry out the Pacific.
In other words, you don't like reality?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
LOL!

Coming from you!!

If chutzpah were brains, you'd be clever.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,004 times
At this point, the best answer to the question is ... The alleged god is powerless to do anything because he's nothing more than a fictional character.

Until the alleged god provides us with some indisputable evidence proving its existence, that is the most likely correct answer.

I certainly won't be holding my breath waiting for the alleged god to act...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
At this point, the best answer to the question is ... The alleged god is powerless to do anything because he's nothing more than a fictional character.

Until the alleged god provides us with some indisputable evidence proving its existence, that is the most likely correct answer.

I certainly won't be holding my breath waiting for the alleged god to act...
He already did. You missed it. Don't blame Him.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,004 times
Quote:
He already did. You missed it. Don't blame Him.

Apparently I'm not the only one who missed it.

Perhaps the alleged god will do a better in the future...

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
That's your interpretation, not mine.

And mine is the only interpretation that has actual evidence, not made up stuff that is invented on the spot to plug holes in a leaky argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality