Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:02 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
guess it would more of a debate, who turned them into gay haters first. The brits when the colonized it and enacted their own laws down there against gays. Or the American Evangelical Christians, via the big mouth pastors and american church money. Think the Brits should share some of the blame too.
It is not the brits who have been lobbying for severe penalties for gays.

A report by Amnesty International says homosexuals are increasingly becoming targets of hate in many African nations. In Uganda, US-based Evangelicals are involved in campaigning against homosexuality.
Uganda's homosexuals targeted by US Evangelicals | Globalization | DW.DE | 25.06.2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is not the brits who have been lobbying for severe penalties for gays.

A report by Amnesty International says homosexuals are increasingly becoming targets of hate in many African nations. In Uganda, US-based Evangelicals are involved in campaigning against homosexuality.
Uganda's homosexuals targeted by US Evangelicals | Globalization | DW.DE | 25.06.2013
yes, Im quite aware of that ;-)
My point was there was already a tradition of hating gays down long before the dumb pastors went down there and advocated for their deaths. BTW...why arent these pastors being brought up on charges here in the states for this?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
yes, Im quite aware of that ;-)
My point was there was already a tradition of hating gays down long before the dumb pastors went down there and advocated for their deaths. BTW...why arent these pastors being brought up on charges here in the states for this?
I'm not aware that there actually was a legacy of hatred towards gays left by the brits...Do you have evidence of that or is it just your opinion?

Edit
...I checked and found that you are correct... The homophobia recently demonstrated in Uganda and Malawi is a relic of their British colonial past. http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...british-malawi

If the Westboro bigots can't be prosecuted, then what charges could possibly be raised against those pastors in your country?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not aware that there actually was a legacy of hatred towards gays left by the brits...Do you have evidence of that or is it just your opinion?

If the Westboro bigots can't be prosecuted, then what charges could possibly be raised against those pastors in your country?
LGBT rights in Uganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
heres a link for you

thats why I was asking and not demanding about charges being brought against them. To be more clear I was asking if there were any even international laws prohibiting them from promoting hate crimes in another country;-)

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
LGBT rights in Uganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
heres a link for you

thats why I was asking and not demanding about charges being brought against them. To be more clear I was asking if there were any even international laws prohibiting them from promoting hate crimes in another country;-)
There may be, but I doubt if they have any teeth.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
guess it would more of a debate, who turned them into gay haters first.
I don't think you are giving enough credit to the people of Uganda.

I think they have enough sense to disregard what other countries tell them to believe. They have a very old civilization and I bet they believe what they want to believe.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Thats all I have a problem with, I dont wanna be thrown in the bucket with these folks, neither do I want
the name of America just because of a few zealots who would sell their mothers soul for a dollar.
Im going to make sure my dollar doesnt go toward that kind of stuff.
Seems like lately, you cant turn on the news and see Christian beliefs mocked or attacked. I took it as another attack rather read the whole thing. sorry
Glad to take the time to read the whole thing. I happened upon an interview with the film makers on NPR and they were very, very clear about the good works that have been done for years by that Christian missionaries from the States and elsewhere. The situation is an aberration and a deadly one which is what makes the film so compelling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/wo...anda.html?_r=0

Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you want to believe that every evil thing in the world is because of America, go right ahead.
Then, a very appropriate response here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Where did the poster say anything at all like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be honest, the article was kind of unclear what it's even about--other than that Evangelicals are apparently bad for Uganda because *gasp* they think homosexuality is bad!
Oh! I see! And your other-than-personal opinion on the private choices of others here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm surprised you know nothing about the Ugandan "Kill the gays" bill and how it originated.

While this is just a wikipedia article, it will give you a starting place to educate yourself on the basics.

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are hoping for quite a lot with this poster, Jaymax; many are known here to be pretty intransigent regarding anything other than outright knee-jerk Christian fundamentalism!

Bible says, Acolyte does!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

You are hoping for quite a lot with this poster, Jaymax; many are known here to be pretty intransigent regarding anything other than outright knee-jerk Christian fundamentalism!

Bible says, Acolyte does!
What is the point of your post, Rifleman?

If the people of Uganda are against gay people, so what?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default You don't get it? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you want to believe that every evil thing in the world is because of America, go right ahead.
It's obvious! It was your all-encompassing anti-American post comment, above, and Jaymax's appropriate response.

But again... where did anyone make such a grandiloquent encompassment about beliefs, pray tell?

Just reigning you in a bit, where it seemed so v. necessary.

"every evil thing"??? I have to repeat it to remind myself what actually might be wrong with so very many mainstream Christian citizens' beliefs!

(See? I can do it too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality