U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,092,865 times
Reputation: 14896

Advertisements

"God Loves Uganda" is a new film documenting the rabid anti-gay atmosphere in Africa fostered by American evangelicals.

"The film also raises urgent questions for American people of faith who care about justice and human rights," All Out's Banks added, according to The Huffington Post. "The large majority of churches in the U.S. raise money to do good in their communities and abroad. But this film makes clear that we must each be certain that our contributions at the collection plate are not going, directly or indirectly, toward supporting laws that call for the death of gays and lesbians."

'God Loves Uganda' Film Exposes 'Violent' Evangelical Movement Targeting Gays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
 
241 posts, read 207,168 times
Reputation: 158
There is already an attack on Christianity in the USA. This is just more propaganda to demonize Christian Americans even more. Only the perpetrators carrying out this misuse of religion are responsible not the Christian faith. Just like they demonized muslims and make them all out to be jihadist....we are just another causality of the war on religion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"God Loves Uganda" is a new film documenting the rabid anti-gay atmosphere in Africa fostered by American evangelicals.
If you want to believe that every evil thing in the world is because of America, go right ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,221,633 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
There is already an attack on Christianity in the USA. This is just more propaganda to demonize Christian Americans even more. Only the perpetrators carrying out this misuse of religion are responsible not the Christian faith. Just like they demonized muslims and make them all out to be jihadist....we are just another causality of the war on religion....
Yet...The article is from the Christian Post and states "Academy Award-winning filmmaker Roger Ross Williams makes it clear, however, that his documentary does not try to portray all or even most Christians in a negative light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,221,633 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you want to believe that every evil thing in the world is because of America, go right ahead.
Where did the poster say anything at all like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 PM
 
19,950 posts, read 13,625,689 times
Reputation: 1973
To be honest, the article was kind of unclear what it's even about--other than that Evangelicals are apparently bad for Uganda because *gasp* they think homosexuality is bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
 
241 posts, read 207,168 times
Reputation: 158
Other reviews of the film, however, have suggested that William's Op-Doc might be very misleading and one-sided in its presentation. Justin Chang, a senior film critic at Variety, wrote that the film is a "scalding appraisal of the Christian missionary movement in Africa," and that it has "a ferocious mission of its own: to portray American evangelicals as arrogant and deluded, yet dangerously effective in their suppression of sexual freedoms."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:37 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,221,633 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be honest, the article was kind of unclear what it's even about--other than that Evangelicals are apparently bad for Uganda because *gasp* they think homosexuality is bad!
I'm surprised you know nothing about the Ugandan "Kill the gays" bill and how it originated.

While this is just a wikipedia article, it will give you a starting place to educate yourself on the basics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_...sexuality_Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,221,633 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
Other reviews of the film, however, have suggested that William's Op-Doc might be very misleading and one-sided in its presentation. Justin Chang, a senior film critic at Variety, wrote that the film is a "scalding appraisal of the Christian missionary movement in Africa," and that it has "a ferocious mission of its own: to portray American evangelicals as arrogant and deluded, yet dangerously effective in their suppression of sexual freedoms."
I'm not sure of your point. Extremist right-wing gay-hating evangelicals are the "perpetrators carrying out this misuse of religion" - especially in Uganda.

But the documentary is not trying to claim that they represent all Christians in the US or the Christian faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
Reputation: 37474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
Other reviews of the film, however, have suggested that William's Op-Doc might be very misleading and one-sided in its presentation. Justin Chang, a senior film critic at Variety, wrote that the film is a "scalding appraisal of the Christian missionary movement in Africa," and that it has "a ferocious mission of its own: to portray American evangelicals as arrogant and deluded, yet dangerously effective in their suppression of sexual freedoms."
It would have been nice for you to source your quotes with a link. But I guess that would have entailed providing easy access to the following information, from the same article you cite, and I'm sure you wanted to avoid that:

Quote:
To its credit, the film focuses its attack not on Christian belief per se, but rather on the movement’s overreaching, sexually repressive agendas. Williams lays out the sobering consequences of the heavily right-wing-backed abstinence campaign, which replaced President Clinton’s family-planning initiatives and led to a sharp rise in Uganda’s AIDS rate.

Even more disturbing are the numerous cited examples of anti-gay extremism in Uganda: the political influence enjoyed by charismatic activist Scott Lively, who says gays are to blame for Nazi Germany; the murder of local LGBT activist David Kato and the subsequent picketing at his funeral; the hysterical sermons of pastor Martin Ssempa, who uses gay-porn slide shows to whip his congregation into an “Africans against sodomy” lather; and, most urgently, a pending bill that would make homosexual activity punishable by death.
Here's the link:
God Loves Uganda | Variety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top