Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

10 posts, read 13,979 times

Advertisements

(or maybe just my ... family)

so lately my sister has been taking classes from this jehova's witness lady (very nice gal if i may say so myself), and now she suddenly dislike halloween (according to her its the day of satan or something) now i don't care about her beliefs but it's bothering me how her son (who used to like dressing up in costumes or randomly liked watching the nightmare before christmas and other halloween lighthearted disney/kids movies) is scared of it according to him it's satan's work or something, now what bothers me the most is that ok you don't believe in something but why would you tell this to a kid not only that you don't even know why is it bad because she clearly has no clue as to why is bad other than this jehova's witness lady telling her so. and sadly she is not the only person who thinks like this theres quite a few people i have encounter out there who think halloween= devils day or something.

it's very confusing since halloween IS both christian and pagan holiday how come some christians don't like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjang View Post

so lately my sister has been taking classes from this jehova's witness lady (very nice gal if i may say so myself), and now she suddenly dislike halloween (according to her its the day of satan or something) now i don't care about her beliefs but it's bothering me how her son (who used to like dressing up in costumes or randomly liked watching the nightmare before christmas and other halloween lighthearted disney/kids movies) is scared of it according to him it's satan's work or something, now what bothers me the most is that ok you don't believe in something but why would you tell this to a kid not only that you don't even know why is it bad because she clearly has no clue as to why is bad other than this jehova's witness lady telling her so. and sadly she is not the only person who thinks like this theres quite a few people i have encounter out there who think halloween= devils day or something.

it's very confusing since halloween IS both christian and pagan holiday how come some christians don't like it?
You already answered your own question.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 13,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You already answered your own question.
not at all . i am wondering as to WHY do they hate their own holiday and why do they think halloween = devils day or whatever.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
not at all . i am wondering as to WHY do they hate their own holiday and why do they think halloween = devils day or whatever.
A holiday that celebrates death and witches does not seem to contain Christian values. But society says it is fine. So maybe you should go with what society says is right rather than what the bible teaches. I am no fan of JW theology, but on this point I agree.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 PM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
Quote:

Its a pagan holiday but an American Tradition, definitely not a christian holiday. Im a Christian but I keep the American customs, even Christmas which is not Christs birthday. Theres nothing in my bible that says I will be stricken dead for it. Why deprive my kids of American customs, thats not fun

Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
All Hallow's Eve is Celtic in origin, and the customs were carried to the US by Irish and Scottish immigrants. I don't know that it's a "church holiday" as such. In any event, All Hallow's Eve is of no significance, culturally or otherwise, to the vast majority of Americans. Halloween is just some fun customs. Fundamentalists, Jehovah's Witnesses and similar groups equate the macabre / scary aspects of it with Satan worship or at least "giving place" to Satan or consorting with evil spirits and thus risking being under their influence. These are folks who believe in a personal devil and literal fallen angels and a literal hell, and who think that the shadow aspects of their personality are literally stimulated and motivated by these fallen discarnate spirits.

The truth is that people like to entertain themselves by scaring themselves a bit. It is in the same class as watching The Walking Dead. It is a way of telling oneself, well, my problems aren't THAT bad after all.

Let Fundamentalists live in fear of their own shadow. I have always found it ironic that Fundamentalists are so afraid of Satan ... they give him credit for way too much, even by their own theology. The only Satan worship that is going on is being done by those misguided folk who don't know enough of their own scripture to treat Satan like a defeated foe instead of a feared nemesis.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
All Hallow's Eve is Celtic in origin, and the customs were carried to the US by Irish and Scottish immigrants. I don't know that it's a "church holiday" as such. In any event, All Hallow's Eve is of no significance, culturally or otherwise, to the vast majority of Americans. Halloween is just some fun customs. Fundamentalists, Jehovah's Witnesses and similar groups equate the macabre / scary aspects of it with Satan worship or at least "giving place" to Satan or consorting with evil spirits and thus risking being under their influence. These are folks who believe in a personal devil and literal fallen angels and a literal hell, and who think that the shadow aspects of their personality are literally stimulated and motivated by these fallen discarnate spirits.

The truth is that people like to entertain themselves by scaring themselves a bit. It is in the same class as watching The Walking Dead. It is a way of telling oneself, well, my problems aren't THAT bad after all.

Let Fundamentalists live in fear of their own shadow. I have always found it ironic that Fundamentalists are so afraid of Satan ... they give him credit for way too much, even by their own theology. The only Satan worship that is going on is being done by those misguided folk who don't know enough of their own scripture to treat Satan like a defeated foe instead of a feared nemesis.
I don't find Satan nearly as scary as the Abrahamic god.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:

so lately my sister has been taking classes from this jehova's witness lady (very nice gal if i may say so myself), and now she suddenly dislike halloween
She probably doesn't like random people coming up to her door..........

Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Christians who are familiar with the Bible know that:

Satan is not a defeated foe (rather a foe who will be defeated) nor

a feared nemesis, as in living in terrified morbid fear, (but a nemesis who should not be underestimated)

When the scriptures state that the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one and that Satan keeps transforming himself into an angel of light and his ministers into ministers of righteousness; who really are the misguided ones?

Satan knows how to serve up the Kool Aid and the sad part is many people don't know who is serving it.

By the way Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in a literal Hell. Just more of the same Kool Aid being served up to mislead people.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
When I look at Christianity, all I see are different flavours of Kool-Aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality