Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Yes, I fully believe this should only apply to sellers. 100%. The main reason being it would be almost impossible to prove why someone buys from a particular vendor. It would be very easy to to figure out if say a restaurant didn't serve black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yes, I fully believe this should only apply to sellers. 100%. The main reason being it would be almost impossible to prove why someone buys from a particular vendor. It would be very easy to to figure out if say a restaurant didn't serve black people.
Then you are for discrimination...of buyers over sellers. Just what you said you didn't think was cool.

And your contention is not true...it isn't impossible.
Like the guy Ali from the Halal located in the town with a large Hasidic Jew population couldn't complain that he never has any of those guys with black hats and curled hair come in to the store.
Mr. Goldberg complains that none of those women in headscarves come in and buy from him.
Or Jerome that owns the Gangsta Hip-Hop Club complains that all those old, white, blue-haired women and their suited, elderly men don't come to his place to imbibe, but he sees them at the Martini Lounge night after night. Visa-versa with the guy that owns the Martini Lounge protesting the black dudes with the pants sagging low and their caps turned backwards don't spend their cash on the Henny he has on the shelf at his bar.

Private citizens shouldn't have to buy from people they don't want to buy from...for whatever reason. They can find someone else to sell to.
Private businesses shouldn't have to sell to people they don't want to sell to...for whatever reason. They can find someone else to buy from.
That's what freedom is all about.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Then you are for discrimination...of buyers over sellers. Just what you said you didn't think was cool.

And your contention is not true...it isn't impossible.
Like the guy Ali from the Halal located in the town with a large Hasidic Jew population couldn't complain that he never has any of those guys with black hats and curled hair come in to the store.
Mr. Goldberg complains that none of those women in headscarves come in and buy from him.
Or Jerome that owns the Gangsta Hip-Hop Club complains that all those old, white, blue-haired women and their suited, elderly men don't come to his place to imbibe, but he sees them at the Martini Lounge night after night. Visa-versa with the guy that owns the Martini Lounge protesting the black dudes with the pants sagging low and their caps turned backwards don't spend their cash on the Henny he has on the shelf at his bar.

Private citizens shouldn't have to buy from people they don't want to buy from...for whatever reason. They can find someone else to sell to.
Private businesses shouldn't have to sell to people they don't want to sell to...for whatever reason. They can find someone else to buy from.
That's what freedom is all about.
Interesting.

But it seems there are different rules for sellers and buyers.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:46 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't see ignorant liberals and the government going after muslim-ran businesses. Because their hypocrites and I'm sick and tired of it.

Going after them for what, exactly?

I can go into any halal grocery store and buy something to eat. How are they discriminating against me?

Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
The beauty of our country is that private business owners have the rights to refuse service to anyone or any entity they please.
False.

Quote:
What's not right is the government trying to change our constitutional laws and define what private business owners can or can't do with their own freakin business.
Self-deception.

Quote:
Refusing services to gays is not discrimination if it goes against the owners religious beliefs.
False.

Quote:
I don't see ignorant liberals and the government going after muslim-ran businesses.
Which ones are refusing to serve non-Muslims what they offer to Muslims?

Quote:
Because their hypocrites and I'm sick and tired of it.
Circular reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
But it seems there are different rules for sellers and buyers.
Buyers aren't operating a public accommodation.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Buyers aren't operating a public accommodation.
Neither is a seller in a private business.
Think the comparison between a public school and a private school...and the difference in what the government can dictate they are allowed to include in their curriculum.

To fairly provide both sides of the equation with "equal protection": If the buyer can freely choose (discriminate) as to which private businesses they will pay to accommodate them, and cannot be legally compelled to pay for the accommodation of businesses they find reason (whatever the reason) not to...then the private business owner should be able to freely choose (discriminate) which members of the public they will accept payment from for said accommodation, and not be legally compelled to accommodate those they find reason (whatever the reason) not to.
Anything other than that would not be "equal" or "fair".

Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 AM
bUU

Quote:
Neither is a seller in a private business.
Yes, the ones being discussed in this thread are.

I'm sorry that you are ignorant of what a public accommodation is. I suggest you review the definition before you post further nonsense to the thread.

Discrimination in Public Accommodations - FindLaw

Quote:
Anything other than that would not be "equal" or "fair".
It is irrational to label as unfair anything that doesn't meet with your own personal approval, even though your own personal preferences in that regard are contrary to society's definitions and standards.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
However, in terms of a public business that operates on any type of government subsidy or government benefits (ie: Loans, tax breaks, grants, etc) of any type, that is a different game and should come under full jurisdiction of the State and be open to all people.
Hopefully this includes businesses which use public roads, allows payment with US currency, or expect fire and police protection, since those are taxpayer-subsidized government provided services that all businesses use.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes, the ones being discussed in this thread are.

I'm sorry that you are ignorant of what a public accommodation is. I suggest you review the definition before you post further nonsense to the thread.

Discrimination in Public Accommodations - FindLaw

It is irrational to label as unfair anything that doesn't meet with your own personal approval, even though your own personal preferences in that regard are contrary to society's definitions and standards.
It is YOU that are ignorant...of what I am or am not ignorant of. And, I'm not sorry about that.

I wasn't addressing the law from the standpoint of the "legal definition and standard"...I was addressing it from the standpoint of "fairness" and "equity", and its hypocrisy.
That's why I gave the "Public vs Private School" comparison. You can't promote religion in a public school...but you can in a private one.

Let me ask you--Is it "irrational" for me "to label as unfair" the execution of a girl in an "honor killing" if it is in a country where it is within the law and isn't "contrary to society's definitions and standards"?
I mean, after all, it merely "doesn't meet with my own personal approval in that regard"...so it must be "fair", right?...and I'd be "irrational" to say it isn't.

So...it appears your argument is that a "society's definitions and standards" are the proper/ultimate determinant of what is right and fair...and no matter what the law says, it is "irrational to label it as unfair". I submit: THAT is what's "nonsense".

What was your opinion of those that said slavery was "unfair" back when it was part of this society's "standard"? Were they being "irrational" if they determined that "unfairness" based only upon their lack of "personal approval" and "personal preference in that regard"...considering that was "contrary to society's definitions and standards" at that time?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM
bUU

Quote:
It is YOU that are ignorant.
A ridiculously silly thing to say after I posted evidence of your ignorance on this matter.

Quote:
I wasn't addressing the law from the standpoint of the "legal definition and standard"...
Actually you were, since you were replying to the message I posted where the context was clearly specified.

Quote:
I was addressing it from the standpoint of "fairness" and "equity", and its hypocrisy.
Equality isn't fairness. So assuming that seller and buyer are regarded in the same way is not fairness.

Quote:
So...it appears your argument is that a "society's definitions and standards" are the proper/ultimate determinant of what is right and fair
In this case they are. Your argument is that your personal preferences are superior to society's determination. We'll have to agree to disagree about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality