Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can understand why that happened actually.

See, forums like Catholic Answers are there to HELP Catholics and those interested in learning more about being or becoming Catholic.

They are not there for debate.

They are not there to argue with those from other religions or atheists.

You can say someone was "successfully demonstrating that there were errors in scripture", but Christians just do not believe such a thing exists, and the Catholic Church in particular would never teach it.

So what that person was attempting to do was to debate or argue which is contrary to the purposes of the forum - so he was removed.

Makes sense to me.
RESPONSE:

Are you really HELPING someone if you provide misinformation or prohibit consideration of various points of view?

>>You can say someone was "successfully demonstrating that there were errors in scripture", but Christians just do not believe such a thing exists, and the Catholic Church in particular would never teach it. <<

Traditionally, the Catholic Church, like many Protestant churches, maintained the "inerrancy" of scripture. But, this teaching began to change in the 1900's and with Vatican II's Dei Verbum. Dei Verum now apparently admits that not all scripture is inspired. (See it's Article 11)

http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...fm?recnum=8441

"On October 2, 1964, Cardinal Franz König of Vienna spoke before the Council Fathers on behalf of all the German-speaking bishops' conferences, stating that the Bible does, in fact, contain errors of science, history and incorrectly-attributed quotations."

"The Bible is authoritative for us because it is trustworthy. It is trustworthy because it contains truth without error. It contains truth without error because it has been divinely inspired. Once we begin to call into question the inerrancy of the Bible and begin to doubt its trustworthiness, we effectively silence the Spirit..."

But if someone was to point this out on some fundamentalist Catholic websites, they would be banned in a heartbeat.

Catholics traditionally have been kept in the dark and taught to believe that the hierarchy are, in effect, special agents of God and have to be believed in everything they tell the laity.

In his encyclical, "The Reunion of Christendom" (1885), Pope Leo XIII stated that the pope holds "upon this earth the place of God Almighty."

And many Catholic believe that. But, fortunately, not all.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 10-17-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Are you really HELPING someone if you provide misinformation or prohibit consideration of various points of view?
Good grief, lol, especially in this age of the internet and all things google, how could ANYONE "prohibit consideration of various points of view?"

Come on now. So you don't like what one religion teaches its followers, then just don't follow that religion.

It baffles me why anyone would think they have the right to try to "correct" someone's very personal religious beliefs, and in their own home so to speak.

Sites like Catholic Answers are there to help Catholics. If you aren't Catholic and don't wish to become one, just find another forum where debating and arguing are the point of the forum - that one has another purpose.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
If somebody crashes somebody else's party in their own home, behaves like a boor, abuses the host's hospitality and insults, bullys and bashes them and their other guests and tells them they're all wrong .... then the boor needs to expect they're going to get kicked out and the door locked behind them. It's a no brainer.

What else would any bashing invader expect? Tolerance of abusive behaviour? That's not realistic.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If somebody crashes somebody else's party in their own home, behaves like a boor, abuses the host's hospitality and insults, bullys and bashes them and their other guests and tells them they're all wrong .... then the boor needs to expect they're going to get kicked out and the door locked behind them. It's a no brainer.

What else would any bashing invader expect? Tolerance of abusive behaviour? That's not realistic.

My point exactly - thanks

Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:

RESPONSE:

What if they had been invited in with the implied promise that they would be told the truth?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief, lol, especially in this age of the internet and all things google, how could ANYONE "prohibit consideration of various points of view?"

Come on now. So you don't like what one religion teaches its followers, then just don't follow that religion.

It baffles me why anyone would think they have the right to try to "correct" someone's very personal religious beliefs, and in their own home so to speak.

Sites like Catholic Answers are there to help Catholics. If you aren't Catholic and don't wish to become one, just find another forum where debating and arguing are the point of the forum - that one has another purpose.
RESPONSE:

To give an extreme example, would you think that someone should have attempted to point out the errors of Rev Jones whose group were persuaded to become victims of the Jamestown massacre?

Would they have any responsibility for correcting misleading information?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

What if they had been invited in with the implied promise that they would be told the truth?
An invitation to learn about other people's beliefs is not an invitation to impose opposite beliefs upon them. One should never count on circumstantial implications as being the truth. If what is implied turns out to not be the truth that one would prefer to hear then that one should be gracious and leave to seek their preferred truth elsewhere. There is no excuse for bad manners and trying to impose one's beliefs and one's self upon others.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
An invitation to learn about other people's beliefs is not an invitation to impose opposite beliefs upon them. One should never count on circumstantial implications as being the truth. If what is implied turns out to not be the truth that one would prefer to hear then that one should be gracious and leave to seek their preferred truth elsewhere. There is no excuse for bad manners and trying to impose one's beliefs and one's self upon others.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, stay out of my business with your religious views of my life and country and I will stay off your forums and out of your churches. It works both ways. I'm not going to ask for freedom from their dogma but try and stick my nose in it, especially when I've been trying so hard to stop them from rubbing my nose in it.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
There are a number of Christian forums on the web. An apparently large one is the Catholic Answers Forum which supports very conservative Catholic Teachings.

Does anyone have any experience with this forum? Does it ban posters who raise legitimate questions which do not support it's conservative philosophy?
I've never spent a ton of time on Catholic forums but I've got flamed so badly on Christian Forums - Where Christian Community Meets Faith that I simply never went back. Apparently I upset people for holding some non-traditional views and defending the viewpoints of non-traditional Christian denominations.

On the other hand, Ummah.com - Muslim Forum banned me in pretty short order when some of their members started attacking me for my religion and I had the audacity to stick up for myself.

When you religious philosophy does not fit within their very narrow guidelines, then you are not welcome. Sadly, that's just how most religious forums work.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
Quote:

In my case many of these sites are public multi religious web sites where I have been banned and deleted for posting quotes from the Koran to prove Muhammad had sex with a 9 year old, committed genocide against the Jews, and spews all kinds of seething hatred against all Christians, Jews, and all "non believers", and question his blatant oppression towards those people for simply being of another religion. You are often not aloud to do that. It's people that cover up for him. They either ban you, or they make up reasons why it is perfectly cool for Muhammad to have sex with children, and kill 1000's of Jews and trade sex slaves, and oppress everyone around him that decides to not like him very much. That's often when the debating gets real interesting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality