Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article about the possibility of women being appointed as Cardinals by Pope Francis.

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/10/...dream-opening/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
There are exceptions, but I think the RCC takes baby steps if they are ever heading in that direction at all. Step 1 would be actually ordaining women to the priesthood, would it not? I have my doubts that any such thing is ever likely to happen and I'll believe it when I see it. But if the RCC does choose to head in that direction, I expect they'll test the waters on a much smaller scale. I would expect that it would be in just one region and women would only be ordained deacons, then they'd take it from there.

I do think that the driving force behind such a move would be the current dwindling numbers of priests in the RCC. In all honesty, I think the RCC gives up the requirement of celibacy -- something that actually has historical basis within the Church -- first. That failing, we may see women priests someday. It will certainly be interesting to watch!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
The most immediate beneficiaries of this news will be the late night talk show comedians. I can imagine an array of jokes about the first lady Cardinal having to serve coffee to the men, about some sort of Cardinal beauty pageant as the selection process, about the first Popette, about designer vestments and sacred accessories, the Conan O'Brien staff is probably at work creating such a picture even as I type.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I remember back in the 1960s a joke about the changes taking place.

"Did you get to meet the Pope while you were in Rome?"---"No, but I had lunch with her husband."

Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There are exceptions, but I think the RCC takes baby steps if they are ever heading in that direction at all. Step 1 would be actually ordaining women to the priesthood, would it not? I have my doubts that any such thing is ever likely to happen and I'll believe it when I see it. But if the RCC does choose to head in that direction, I expect they'll test the waters on a much smaller scale. I would expect that it would be in just one region and women would only be ordained deacons, then they'd take it from there.

I do think that the driving force behind such a move would be the current dwindling numbers of priests in the RCC. In all honesty, I think the RCC gives up the requirement of celibacy -- something that actually has historical basis within the Church -- first. That failing, we may see women priests someday. It will certainly be interesting to watch!
My understanding is that the Cardinals do not have to be invested priests, they can be deacons. Relatively easy for the pope to make that change. In fact the pope does set the canon law in any case.

This one seems to be fresh enough that he may actually make these kind of changes. I wonder if the other Cardinals had any idea what they're getting into the elected him.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM

400 posts, read 601,562 times
Quote:

Tell me, which kind of RCC deacon are you referring to?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
My understanding is that the Cardinals do not have to be invested priests, they can be deacons. Relatively easy for the pope to make that change. In fact the pope does set the canon law in any case.

This one seems to be fresh enough that he may actually make these kind of changes. I wonder if the other Cardinals had any idea what they're getting into the elected him.
Currently, Cardinals do have to be either a priest or a bishop. Also, Cardinals are required to become bishops. You are correct though, anything can be changed. It appears the appointment of women Cardinals will be a two step process. First, the deacon ordination rule will be changed to allow women, that will open the door for women Cardinal appointment. The RCC has two kinds of deacons, permanent and transitional. I imagine this deals with permanent deacons.

It will be interesting to watch the events unfold. Many changes are afoot. The force driving them is straight out of The Bible.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Tell me, which kind of RCC deacon are you referring to?
Typical permanent deacon as you'd be likely to find in any given parish.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Typical permanent deacon as you'd be likely to find in any given parish.
I have some questions for you since you know about RCC deacons.
  1. Are there more permanent deacons than transitional deacons in the RCC?
  2. Are married deacons to place the church above the wife and children?
  3. Are lay ministers needed in parishes with a deacon?
  4. Are widowed or single deacons to remain celibate the rest of their lives?
  5. Who do deacons work for?
Thanks for helping me out on this godofthunder.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

RESPONSE:

My understanding is that traditionally a cardinal need not be a prelate (ordained). Later on, they had to become deacons and now bishops. But historically it was a civil honor bestowed by the pope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality