Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
New Age baloney.

Read about Heaven in the Bible. It's all about God.
Old age baloney.

Even by your own bible there is nothing new about New Age.
Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

So all of it is Old Age baloney.
Even your bible.

Last edited by Aeroman; 10-22-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Old age baloney.
New Age baloney written by random poster on the CD.

Old Age baloney written by men who walked with Jesus.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
New Age baloney written by random poster on the CD.

Old Age baloney written by men who walked with Jesus.

Or alternately, those who didn't ACTUALLY walk with anyone until the culture du jour made him up. A few centuries, or at the least... decades later.

Too many contradictions, and in heaven, too many problems. We have to assume that the newest paid-up members of the heavenly multitudes will bring even more confusion and requirements, unless, as has been suggested, God does a sort of behavioral lobotomy and amnesia.

Sounds altogether far too conveniently wunnerphull and selective to me, yup it shurrr-duhzz!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
These questions do spur more questions because they are indeed unanswerable. People who believe in heaven have obviously not logically thought this out, asking these most basic questions. Instead they want to believe they'll just be happy, disregarding the logistics or the details that make the existence of such a place impossible or undesirable.
Whatever. I'm not here to try to convince anybody of anything, and I'm not here to try to out-debate anyone. The thing is, people who ask these "unanswerable questions" do so to try to get believers to stop believing. It doesn't work, and I don't consider it a particularly good use of their time. Some theists waste their time trying to convince atheists that there's a God. That doesn't work either, and it's just as big a waste of their time.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Whatever. I'm not here to try to convince anybody of anything, and I'm not here to try to out-debate anyone. The thing is, people who ask these "unanswerable questions" do so to try to get believers to stop believing. It doesn't work, and I don't consider it a particularly good use of their time. Some theists waste their time trying to convince atheists that there's a God. That doesn't work either, and it's just as big a waste of their time.
This just seems like such an odd statement to me. How anyone could determine what another's "good use of their time is" is beyond me.

What if I made the statement that I don't think you posting on the internet is a particularly good use of your time? Would you think that statement has merit?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
New Age baloney.
I thought it was quite loving and accepting. There was a wonderful accommodating component to her vision of the hereafter and I enjoyed her reading her thoughts. I believe we're quite lucky to be able to read the thoughts of someone who has walked an uncommon path.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-22-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default Being re-united in the hereafter

The OP should read "Being united in the hereafter." We are so egocentric while in this physical womb that we find it difficult (if not impossible) to comprehend what "Oneness" is all about. We tend to retain an ego-centric view of loved ones as OUR loved ones . . . special and exclusive to us. This makes it impossible to accept or even grasp what unified loved ones could be like. Having experienced it in meditation but lacking the words to remotely describe it . . . I have some sense of what it means to become loved and accepted as ONE by everyone. I used the barely comparable analogy of a crowd united in the Wave at a sporting event as the faintest shadow of the condition.

The major hang-up seems to center around marriage and our exclusive relationship with our spouses. There is a reason we are married "Until death do us part." We will be united with everyone in love and acceptance so profound nothing on this earth is comparable. Our loved ones will not be loved any less . . . but our love is expanded to everyone and vice versa. None of the physical aspects of our relations on earth have any role . . . so the major aspect of exclusivity concerns evaporate. Agape love is the primary and ubiquitous Uniter.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This just seems like such an odd statement to me. How anyone could determine what another's "good use of their time is" is beyond me.
Well, if you think it's a good use of your time to try to convince me of something I'm not going to be convinced of under any circumstances, then by all means knock yourself out.

Quote:
What if I made the statement that I don't think you posting on the internet is a particularly good use of your time? Would you think that statement has merit?
I think that if you made the statement in the same context as I did, you'd be right. But then I've pretty much already said as much. I think that my trying to convince you that there is a God and a Heaven is very much a waste of my time. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think that my trying to convince you that there is a God and a Heaven is very much a waste of my time. Wouldn't you agree?
I don't agree. For starters if it is something you want to do then it isn't a waste of your time. Only an individual can determine what is and isn't a waste of their time. Just because someone may not get the result they are looking for (or even have a chance at that result) does not make something a waste of time.

Specific to me I would not say it is a waste of time. Just because I have not been convinced that god or heaven exist does not mean it can't be done. I just haven't seen anything to date to show me I am wrong. This is true of pretty much all discussions.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't agree. For starters if it is something you want to do then it isn't a waste of your time. Only an individual can determine what is and isn't a waste of their time. Just because someone may not get the result they are looking for (or even have a chance at that result) does not make something a waste of time.

Specific to me I would not say it is a waste of time. Just because I have not been convinced that god or heaven exist does not mean it can't be done. I just haven't seen anything to date to show me I am wrong. This is true of pretty much all discussions.
Personally, I'm glad that someone took the time to try to convince me the err of my ways, or I would still be wallowing in the mysticism of Christianity, my head buried deep in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality