Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,424,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Your whole existance is a test, and God will test your faith throughout your life. Not only by throwing curve balls at you constantly, but also by testing people by giving them money, power and other "Earthly" possessions to see how they react. The biggest challenge though is believing in the "unseen", it is funny how some of these atheists expect God to show up in front of them and say " Hi, I am God and by the way, I do exist". Only a fool cannot see God's presence when it is virtually everywhere, the sky, the sunset, the sunrise, floods, earthquakes, etc. There is something from Scripture that says something like, "It does not matter what you humans do on his Earth, the Sun will still continue to rise and set as I command". Basically, even if we humans decided to kill each other off, the Sun will still rise and set like it has done for billions of years, meaning we are just insignificant grains of sand that have no control over anything! It is funny that some people have these "arrogant" attitudes like "Why I should I worship something I can't see". Universewise, you are just a little insignificant grain of sand, God says NOW and your life is over. For this reason, it is very important to humble yourself before your Creator. Praise be to God, the almighty!
Prove it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,552,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
The problem with most atheists or people that "ridicule: God and the Scriptures is that most of their statements are based on total ignorance, lack of spiritual understanding, not to mention, unresolved grudges stemming from their traumatic childhoods. First of all, God never said that all he created is good, God created the Universe with perfect balance, when we speak of balance, obviously, there will be good and evil..it would not make sense to make a world where everything is good. The reason why the Devil is "free to roam" is because humans are given the choice to follow good or evil. When the Bible describes "Satan whispering", I could not think of a better way to describe the "temptations" of this life. What I find amazing is that these atheists expect God to do everything in a way that will fullfill their very limited understanding of existance, as if God had any obligation to do so. God is perfect, you are the one that needs work!

Ignorance ? Limited understanding of existence? Lack of spiritual understanding ? Good one !! Pot/Kettle anyone !?

My childhood was very happy thank you very much, I think my ignorance is less of an issue than yours, and as for spiritual understanding , maybe you should widen your horizons a tad , open your eyes and start to research philosophy, science and intellectual discourse a bit more...

I am perfectly happy for you to believe in your little fairy tales but don't you start lecturing us Atheists about your god and his vengeful ways.

If only people could be as "ignorant" as the people listed below in those quotes. You need to grow up. Yes I know, I will no doubt get a red dot now but never mind. Life's too short quite frankly.

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion. ( Abraham Lincoln)

At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols.
( Aldous Huxley)

Friedrich Schleiermacher:
The essence of religion consists in the feeling of an absolute dependence.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness ( Dalai Lama)

Clarence Darrow:
I do not believe in God because I do not believe in Mother Goose.

Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men. ( Francis Bacon)

George Santayana:
My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image to be servants of their human interests.

Thomas Jefferson:
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 AM

19 posts, read 50,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
what is the reason for it? (for those of you that believe this)
I'm not a Christian so my understanding of Satan is completely different. I do not see Satan as a physical being, angel or anything like that. An adversary can be a thought or idea or a person as well. Just think about an enemy of yours you did not create that enemy for the purpose of them being your enemy it just worked out that way. Anyone or thing that is in opposition of the Creator is an advesary(Satan). In the beginning the Creator created all things and one of his creations decided that they would began to hate there creator and try to persuade others to do the same. So in my opinion the Creator did not say well let me create an enemy, its just how things turned out.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 AM

109 posts, read 204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
During WWII we had fear of fascism and during the cold war we had an irrational fear of communism and now we fear terrorism.
There's nothing as good as fear when you want to control the masses.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 AM

109 posts, read 204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Way to Judge, "Christian".
Onward Xian Soldier!!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,969,298 times
So….

God never said that all he created is good, God created the Universe with perfect balance, when we speak of balance, obviously, there will be good and evil..it would not make sense to make a world where everything is good

This statement makes no sense to me. I believe God made a world that was good and anything ruined was because of man. God made Adam and Eve and told them not to eat the apple which is how original sin entered the universe, right?
Why would he create the devil? We are back to the question.

As far as the other poster saying he tests us, God is love - a loving God - and I don't believe he has a reason for testing us, only that we live the way he told us to. He doesn't have to test us with all the temptations out there; it's we who decide our fate.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,543,254 times
So when did God create the devil? Thats a new one on me. I don't remember reading that in the first 6 days of His Creation from the Bible or any other literature .

Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM

751 posts, read 1,167,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
So when did God create the devil? Thats a new one on me. I don't remember reading that in the first 6 days of His Creation from the Bible or any other literature .
The Devil(Lucifer) is a fallen angel. A creation of God that rebeled against him. He was proud like many atheists here.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM

751 posts, read 1,167,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If only people could be as "ignorant" as the people listed below in those quotes. You need to grow up. Yes I know, I will no doubt get a red dot now but never mind. Life's too short quite frankly.

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion. ( Abraham Lincoln)
Like I am going to believe Abraham Lincoln and others over God (The Creator).There are plenty of people that have Ph.D's and still have not understood the reason why they are here. Formal education or the level of intellectuality HAS nothing to do with the reason to be here. I am afraid some of these "geniuses" are less enlightened spiritually than the native living in the jungle. That is the reason why God is great, your money, your social class, your education, your position will not matter on Judgement Day. Bill Gates for example might be a disbeliever, all the wealth he accumulated on Earth will amount to nothing in the end, he cant even escape his own death.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
Default Evil is just love that is frustrated

the devil is god turned upside down.
Evil is just love that is frustrated and cannot find its expression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality