Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
So when did God create the devil? Thats a new one on me. I don't remember reading that in the first 6 days of His Creation from the Bible or any other literature .
If I recall correctly (and it's been a loooooooooong while), God created the EARTH in 6 days but not the universe? So Angels were created far before those 6 days to be his helpers. But, Lucifer got greedy (or perhaps just disgruntled) and told God "Shove it , I'm going my own way"...or something like that.

Last edited by SmerkyGrl; 11-20-2007 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: This forums won't let you say "screw. you"? :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by radicalGOD
Quote:
Evil is just love that is frustrated and cannot find its expression
Uhm, fascism is evil right?
But I wouldn't go so far as saying that fascism is frustrated love, or that it can't find an expression. Most fascists will agree with many Christians who believe that the family-unit is the cornerstone of civilisation.
Under the 'right' conditions fascism will grow.

But when Christians talk about the love of family they only talk about the Christian (spiritual) family and when fascists talk about family they often only mean their ethnic family. But both amount to the same, the exclusion of the other.
For example: they both exclude the 'alternative' families where children are raised by homosexual parents, simply because it is not a tradition.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Like I am going to believe Abraham Lincoln and others over God (The Creator).There are plenty of people that have Ph.D's and still have not understood the reason why they are here. Formal education or the level of intellectuality HAS nothing to do with the reason to be here. I am afraid some of these "geniuses" are less enlightened spiritually than the native living in the jungle. That is the reason why God is great, your money, your social class, your education, your position will not matter on Judgement Day. Bill Gates for example might be a disbeliever, all the wealth he accumulated on Earth will amount to nothing in the end, he cant even escape his own death.

Thank you so much Lukeache, you have made my day, I haven't laughed so much in quite a while. Your posts are priceless . Really priceless. If it wasn't so tragic it would be quite comical.

Thank goodness I live somewhere , where reason , logic and science are not deemed defective and where being spiritually enlightened has nothing to do with salvation.

Thanks for your insight though, I will try to remember it all and rely on your well thought out arguments and use them next time I engage in any intellectual discourse with anyone . It should get me a few smiles if nothing else.

I think I will forward your posts to my Christian friends just to show them what they're missing living in here in Europe. I think they will be highly amused.

I understand why I am here and don't need your fairy tales to give meaning to my life. Your bigotry and rigid attitude will not matter when you're worm food ( just reciprocating the sentiment).

Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Thank you so much Lukeache, you have made my day, I haven't laughed so much in quite a while. Your posts are priceless . Really priceless. If it wasn't so tragic it would be quite comical.
Your attitude is typical of the atheist. These laughs are just a way to cover up your insecurities because what I have said must have made some sense to you. What is interesting about atheists is that very few have strong convictions. They might ridicule the God and the Bible, but they always have second thoughts "What if God exists, What if I am wrong!?" By ridiculing God and the Bible, atheists are trying to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. The reason why being a believer is so important is that if the believer is wrong and God doesn’t exist, then nothing has been lost; on the other hand, if the atheist is wrong and God does exist, then your whole existence will amount to nothing. This is the kind of stuff I would not play with.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
All the stuff about Satan is one of the real weaknesses in Christianity.

Angels as created beings.
Angels as "God's helpers."
Angels with free will. (For one thing, this means that angels don't exist 'in eternity', else there is no framework for making a decision in time. For another, this means that angels must have the capacity of reason; I wonder within what framework does that reason operate in that it's not limited by the laws of nature.)
Angels that rebel against God.
Angels (now Satan and his assistant demons) that somehow exist in a place somehow separated from God.
Etc.

mumbo-jumbo deluxe

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-20-2007 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
Your attitude is typical of the atheist. These laughs are just a way to cover up your insecurities because what I have said must have made some sense to you. What is interesting about atheists is that very few have strong convictions. They might ridicule the God and the Bible, but they always have second thoughts "What if God exists, What if I am wrong!?" By ridiculing God and the Bible, atheists are trying to make themselves feel better about their insecurities. The reason why being a believer is so important is that if the believer is wrong and God doesn’t exist, then nothing has been lost; on the other hand, if the atheist is wrong and God does exist, then your whole existence will amount to nothing. This is the kind of stuff I would not play with.
Niiice.

Actually, most athiests tend to keep our minds open. If God exists, we're the first ones to admit "Oh, we were wrong. Cool".

Last I checked, it was the Christians that would go far as killing throngs of people and throwing scientists in jail for challenging their beliefs. The Crusades weren't really that long ago, you know. Your entire argument can be turned right around to "If God doesn't exist, your attempts at belittling nonbelievers will have only turned you into a jerkwad. If God does exist, you can hide behind his name and continuously fire and brimstone people to death."

As for insecurity? We're not the ones clutching to a questionable being that may or may not exist to explain the bad things in the world and trying to soothe ourselves with the thoughts that we won't become wormfood after we die. Who's the one with the security blanket? Me or you?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Quote:
Don't kid yourself Atheists are sound in their convictions, logic defies belief, every time. And why don't Christians believe God belongs to another religion, for example, or are you so conceited as to think only you could be right?

Waste your time following the writing of man believing it is the word of God but don't expect Atheists to lend any credibility to God or the Devil.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Very few have strong convictions? Luke, you haven't been on this board very long have you?

"What if God exists, What if I am wrong?!" Actually Luke, which God are we referring to? What if God exists? What if the Muslim God exists? Than you and I are in the same boat aren't we? What if Thor, Zeus, Ra, or Cupid exists? Again, you and I are up the same proverbial creek without the same proverbial paddle. As I've said many times on this board Luke, I'm an atheist for the same reason you are. I just take it one god further. Don't YOU ever wonder if you have the wrong god? Think carefully. There are over 5000 of them in man's history. Better hope you got the right one.

To quote you:

The reason why being a believer is so important is that if the believer is wrong and God doesn’t exist, then nothing has been lost; on the other hand, if the atheist is wrong and God does exist, then your whole existence will amount to nothing. This is the kind of stuff I would not play with

Well, let's examine this statement. If the believer is wrong and God doesn't exist, than nothing has been lost. That is, of course, as long as the God the believer believes in is the right God. You forgot about that part. You automatically assume that if I weren't an Atheist I would be a Christian. And you are wrong for doing that. The Christian God is just as ridiculous and stupid to me as Zeus probably is to you. I don't really care. Anything that requires his 'underlings' to worship him isn't worth the worship in the first place.

Nevertheless, I can't help but wonder if you've ever entertained the idea of what your beliefs would be had you grown up in Pakistan today or in Egypt 5000 years ago? So Lukeache.... not what if I'm wrong.... WHAT IF YOU'RE WRONG!?

Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
what is the reason for it? (for those of you that believe this)

God didn't create the "devil".
God created the angel Lucifer, who was created good.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:34 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
WOOOOOOH! I'm real scared... is the devil about to come and drag me down to hell with his little pitchfork ? Scaaary !

To believe in God because of your fear to have lost something is a fairly strong indication that you are pretty insecure yourself. And scared that if you stray , you will end up with Satan and his demons in the fiery inferno of Hades.

My convictions are pretty strong thank you very much actually and as you know absolutely nothing about me , my life or my philosophy, I suspect maybe you should just retreat to your narrow minded tiny world of spooky fairy tales.
And I was not ridiculing religion but you and your vision of it of it for the record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality