Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Believers don't have any real arguments against rational objections to their faith. In response, they often try to convince themselves that people who don't believe do so because of some character defect.
I just don't understand why the responsibility of not believing in God does not rest on the atheist? Why blame something else such as desiring earthly possessions?

If believing in God prohibits a person from desiring earthly possessions, then does it go that all Christians do not desire earthly possessions?

Then does it go that all people who decide to stop believing in God turn to material possessions? If so, shouldn't that be the character flaw, the fact that who that person was has changed like night and day?

I don't think desiring earthly possessions is a character flaw. Did not God make this world? It certainly is a desirable world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,689,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I personally believe that the Father of Jesus Christ and His Son manifest all the characteristics of true holiness, and that they judge the world with perfect mercy and justice.
Is holding one individual responsible for the "sins" of another just? Also, mercy and justice are antonyms. When one shows mercy, they are not making the offender responsible for his/her actions. Justice requires that all are held responsible for their actions and either punished or rewarded accordingly. Therefore, these attributes of your God are disproved. If you continue to hold that your God contains these attributes, then your God is disproved.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Is holding one individual responsible for the "sins" of another just? Also, mercy and justice are antonyms. When one shows mercy, they are not making the offender responsible for his/her actions. Justice requires that all are held responsible for their actions and either punished or rewarded accordingly. Therefore, these attributes of your God are disproved. If you continue to hold that your God contains these attributes, then your God is disproved.
I disagree that mercy and justice are antonyms.

Otherwise, I got no dog in this fight.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I disagree that mercy and justice are antonyms.

Otherwise, I got no dog in this fight.
If a judge shows mercy, mitigating the punishment for an offense, justice is not being served.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
If a judge shows mercy, mitigating the punishment for an offense, justice is not being served.
So, in your world, there's only one form of justice - the max sentence on the books?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
So, in your world, there's only one form of justice - the max sentence on the books?
Not necessarily. Justice is receiving a sentence which is deserved. For example, being mauled to death by bears for making fun of someone's bald head is NOT justice. Having your first born killed by an angel of death because the Head of your country won't release his slaves is NOT justice.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. Justice is receiving a sentence which is deserved. For example, being mauled to death by bears for making fun of someone's bald head is NOT justice. Having your first born killed by an angel of death because the Head of your country won't release his slaves is NOT justice.
But forgiving a single mother for stealing a loaf of bread and giving her information about food banks instead of sending her to jail is also justice - albeit tempered with mercy.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
Quote:
But forgiving a single mother for stealing a loaf of bread and giving her information about food banks instead of sending her to jail is also justice - albeit tempered with mercy.
Who forgives the mother?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Who forgives the mother?
The store manager who caught her stealing. Or the sheriff sent to arrest her by the store manager. Or the judge if it ever makes it to trial.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I just don't understand why the responsibility of not believing in God does not rest on the atheist? Why blame something else such as desiring earthly possessions?

If believing in God prohibits a person from desiring earthly possessions, then does it go that all Christians do not desire earthly possessions?

Then does it go that all people who decide to stop believing in God turn to material possessions? If so, shouldn't that be the character flaw, the fact that who that person was has changed like night and day?

I don't think desiring earthly possessions is a character flaw. Did not God make this world? It certainly is a desirable world.
No it does not follow that all theists become ascetics or that all atheists become self-absorbed materialists.

In my personal experience, the transition from theism to atheism had virtually no impact on my ethics or morality or my desire for consumer goods. I guess that eventually a strong influence on one's philosophical positions on these things, changes in backstory, etc. are inevitable; but what Christians generally don't seem to understand that the values they hold come from within themselves and from their family and culture and upbringing, not god. Those values therefore are present regardless of what they believe about god.

To address another common misconception: all atheists do not become nihilists. This is one possible (and generally maladaptive) response to the loss of the Christian backstory -- one of many. Once again, Christians and non-Christians alike live in an indifferent universe with no one at the controls (and no control panel anyway), it is not like unbelief actually changes anything other than you quit kidding yourself about certain things.

Yet another misconception: unbelievers don't all become fornicating drug addicts and general profligates. It is possible that someone who was predisposed to that and theism was keeping a lid on it, might go off the rails if they leave the strictures of their belief-system; but if they are addictive personalities as theists, they will be addictive personalities as atheists.

Believers flatter their god by claiming that whatever morality, self-control, and emotional stability the possess come from divine sources. Then they let their god off the hook by claiming that their peccadilloes come from Satan or themselves. It ALL comes from themselves. Gods are bolt-on accessories upon which people project their hopes, dreams, aspirations, fears, pain, etc. When you are used to doing this it seems necessary, even crucial, to do so; but the truth is, it actually is seldom a net benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality