Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

The bible is Truth and Jesus is Truth. ......
Says who? That is essence of much is this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Simple solution: Start at the top and work your way down.

And actually answer the question. Asking questions as your response is nothing but a stall tactic. One that is often employed by 4-year old's when caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Sorry. Aristotle you ain't.

(Don't you believe you could win souls for Jesus if you presented arguments for Him? I've never seen a preacher of the Word so anxious to NOT explain things.)
Sometimes real life does get into the way. When I'm answering 9 different branches off of the same thread, it happens that I can't get to all of them.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sometimes real life does get into the way.
As it does for the people asking you questions. But, thankfully, we all have the freedom to choose how we spend our time.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-05-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Those stories of god in the OT were probably real in someones head or a distorted representation of what actually happened, or something that happened while someone was on hallucinogens, like Moses.
Who knows? They certainly fail epically when tested by reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Most pastors I've known choose to take time to actually answer questions they're asked to help spread the Word. (I think they consider it an important, worthy use of their time.) But, thankfully, we all have the freedom to make our own decisions on those things.
You were lucky, in my case there were only pat answers and if you dared ask awkward questions, well, I never had a satisfactory answer and was offered a thick book to look at of historical religions and thus began my personal quest for answers. No one really seems to have any except folk that ended up like me after exhaustive research.

When my business failed, the pastor said I was having a personal Job experience and that was very helpful /sarcasm.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I have always known God to be good , and from His perspective of the bigger picture I trust has the better perspective.
Men tend to think God is like they are ,limited in time and patience . Untrue.
God is not limited in time or patience ,but when the level of danger to those He cares about is important to Him ,often He will make exception.
Jesus said, "the way is narrow and few there be that find it." Matthew7;14,-
Often time well meaning christians seem to think a lot of people are going to make it to heaven, and that's simply not true.
Heaven is not an expanding capacity according to revelations, it is measured.
Hell is expanding according to the old testament.
All the more reason to learn obedience on a personal level, rather than suppositions men make using scriptures.
God is selective as to whom are in His heaven. John 15; there won't be leaches which are like the entitlement of society, rather the obedient and productive under God's govern.
As to another plane others may exist on ,I cannot say,neither should one speculate in a mediocre fashion of being saved by the skin of ones teeth.
Jesus said "strive to enter" which is significantly more than a casual interest.
God is good to those that are good by His perspective.
I know that when I misbehave, He cannot support me ,I have stepped out on my own, and the consequences due me are pending. I don't look for God to fix my traffic tickets knowing I am guilty.
I deal with my debts of failure, and look for help when I am lacking. but I don't expect a free pass to abuse God's intervention, and do not feel He owes me any thing, rather I am more indebted to Him..

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have always known God to be good , and from His perspective of the bigger picture I trust has the better perspective.
Men tend to think God is like they are ,limited in time and patience . Untrue.
God is not limited in time or patience ,but when the level of danger to those He cares about is important to Him ,often He will make exception.
Jesus said, "the way is narrow and few there be that find it." Matthew7;14,-
Often time well meaning christians seem to think a lot of people are going to make it to heaven, and that's simply not true.
Heaven is not an expanding capacity according to revelations, it is measured.
Hell is expanding according to the old testament.
All the more reason to learn obedience on a personal level, rather than suppositions men make using scriptures.
God is selective as to whom are in His heaven. John 15; there won't be leaches which are like the entitlement of society, rather the obedient and productive under God's govern.
As to another plane others may exist on ,I cannot say,neither should one speculate in a mediocre fashion of being saved by the skin of ones teeth.
Jesus said "strive to enter" which is significantly more than a casual interest.
God is good to those that are good by His perspective.
I know that when I misbehave, He cannot support me ,I have stepped out on my own, and the consequences due me are pending. I don't look for God to fix my traffic tickets knowing I am guilty.
I deal with my debts of failure, and look for help when I am lacking. but I don't expect a free pass to abuse God's intervention, and do not feel He owes me any thing, rather I am more indebted to Him..
How do you explain that you feel that your God blesses you but obviously ignores the suffering and the pain of children in the picture I provided? I doubt that these children have or will live long enough to misbehave enough to be subjected to such punishment. Your God is NOT good, even by the most liberal standards.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How do you explain that you feel that your God blesses you but obviously ignores the suffering and the pain of children in the picture I provided? I doubt that these children have or will live long enough to misbehave enough to be subjected to such punishment. Your God is NOT good, even by the most liberal standards.
I'm actually surprised that it took 178 posts for you to trot out the obligatory photo of starving children to parade around. I thought that was on something like page 4 of the atheist handbook. I'm waiting for the photo of a family huddled on the roof of a house with flood waters rising or someone throwing a bag of cute kittens into a river next. You could post a photo of an abortion, but I'm sure you support a "woman's right to choose (aka baby murder)" and wouldn't want to upset some of your peers here.

We wouldn't want you to walk around with a chapped butt all the time, so the reason for your assertion that God ignores the suffering and pain of the children in the photo is free will and covenant. I already know what you all think of free will, so spare me, I get it. That doesn't change the truth.

Covenant is something I really don't expect you to understand at all. That's not meant to be a slam or insult, just that Americans have no concept of covenant. God made a covenant with man to take over matters here. You want to know more, go look it up. So if you want to know the source of the suffering, look to man and the sin we all brought in to this world (oh, wait , there is no such thing as sin, right? ) Also, He's not moved by need. Faith is what activates the covenant. He's already done what He promised and it's in the finished work of Jesus.

You don't believe it. I get that. Fine. God is good. All the time. So rant and rave all you want. I know in Whom I believe. In Him, the one God Who is good all the time. I can't tell you how much I don't care whether you believe it or not.

You really want "Amazn"? Grace.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 PM

545 posts, read 451,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I'm actually surprised that it took 178 posts for you to trot out the obligatory photo of starving children to parade around. I thought that was on something like page 4 of the atheist handbook. I'm waiting for the photo of a family huddled on the roof of a house with flood waters rising or someone throwing a bag of cute kittens into a river next. You could post a photo of an abortion, but I'm sure you support a "woman's right to choose (aka baby murder)" and wouldn't want to upset some of your peers here.

We wouldn't want you to walk around with a chapped butt all the time, so the reason for your assertion that God ignores the suffering and pain of the children in the photo is free will and covenant. I already know what you all think of free will, so spare me, I get it. That doesn't change the truth.

Covenant is something I really don't expect you to understand at all. That's not meant to be a slam or insult, just that Americans have no concept of covenant. God made a covenant with man to take over matters here. You want to know more, go look it up. So if you want to know the source of the suffering, look to man and the sin we all brought in to this world (oh, wait , there is no such thing as sin, right? ) Also, He's not moved by need. Faith is what activates the covenant. He's already done what He promised and it's in the finished work of Jesus.

You don't believe it. I get that. Fine. God is good. All the time. So rant and rave all you want. I know in Whom I believe. In Him, the one God Who is good all the time. I can't tell you how much I don't care whether you believe it or not.

You really want "Amazn"? Grace.
ok thanks good entry, and a few others, will leave it at that for now to be sure, good days & peace M930.

Last edited by macpherson; 11-05-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Amazing the intellectual contortions required to deal with cognitive dissonance.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Amazing the intellectual contortions required to deal with cognitive dissonance.
They have to maintain the USA speshallness attribute despite the obvious contradictions. Touchdown jesus is not interested in Africa as they only play soccer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality