Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 PM

535 posts, read 966,949 times

Advertisements

Are there hidden meanings in The Bible? Is there an esoteric level deeper that provides a another level of meaning? I think what Pastor Vizio said to be leery of those who claim to interpret deeper esoteric or symbolic meaning. Anyone can say anything. The Scriptures are misused enough being pulled out of context, without adding everyone and their brother's intreptation to the mix. One has to careful because Satan can and does use hidden meanings and mysteries in his arsenal. There have been instances where people like Jim Jones and David Koresh have claimed to tap into these hidden meanings and mysteries and the results have spelled death for many of their followers.

When the disciples asked Jesus why he spoke in parables he said, “because . . . this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they . . . should understand with their heart, and should be converted” Matthew 13:13,15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...I don't. God gave us the Bible. Just read it. It's not that complicated.
"the" Bible. Which one? Which translation, which version, what language, what interpretation, The Catholic, The Protestant?

What of the Qur'an and the Bhagavad Gita? Is God incapable of making himself clear past ink and ancient text? The same is true of Prophets, they pretend to speak for God put they are divinely guided as much as the Oracle at Delphi. False, False, False. The Jews in the story might have been scared of the Black Cloud of their God. We aren't ancient Jews.

God would be doing a disservice by not appearing himself as he did in stories of ancient days. Is God too weak to walk with us physically and immortally? Is God so unwilling to help his children?

There is higher meaning everywhere you look. What is the need of the Bible Vizio? I thought God gave you the Holy Spirit, why the need to venerate a lowly book? When you have a direct access to God right there next to you, the one Jesus left, since humans wrote and collected the Bible but Jesus himself supposedly sent down the Dove to guide you. The Dove can't do calculus? The Dove knows nothing about how to bolster the immune system through vaccines?

Religions are so laughably and obviously false. Goodness is so obviously and independently good.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 AM

691 posts, read 641,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm leery of someone that suggests that there is a hidden meaning. If God had something to say...why would he hide it?
They are not hidden, but they are not obvious.

The passage that "man doth not live by bread alone" is written in which Testament? The Old or the New?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 AM

691 posts, read 641,168 times
[quote=LuminousTruth;31936579 I thought God gave you the Holy Spirit, why the need to venerate a lowly book? When you have a direct access to God right there next to you, the one Jesus left, since humans wrote and collected the Bible but Jesus himself supposedly sent down the Dove to guide you. The Dove can't do calculus? The Dove knows nothing about how to bolster the immune system through vaccines? [/quote]

But the dove sure tastes good when you're hungry!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That is exactly what I mean, Katz. Not hidden per se like secret ceremonies or gnostic style doctrine for "special" initiated people only, but hidden in plain sight because only a mind at a certain level of progression can "see the big picture" and grasp it and/or because it's knowledge from a higher perspective that just can't be "dumbed down" to the normal human perspective without loosing it's meaning... back to the whole "can't teach a dog algebra" problem.

I suppose it's a very LDS way to think of things too...
I completetly understand what you are saying. The parables were hard to understand for
a reason, and why?

Yes, only a mind "at a certain level" was meant to understand them. I would say one who
who could perceive with his heart, also...thus...those who had ears to hear.
You canmt teach an ant quantum physics.

I loved after Jesus came down form the hill after his transfiguration...he says in front of a crowd
to the disciples that weren't with him during his transformation into light...How long must I suffer you,...B
Because they
still didn't get it....how to heal this boy.
I can picture him shaking his head, embarrassing them in front of the cowd.
And thanks, Chango,

Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Hi Miss Hepburn. If you put the verse into context and read John 16:1-15 does it still not make sense? Was it that Jesus couldn't tell them, or that they wouldn't understand what he was telling them?
Hi Priscilla,
He couldn't tell them because they wouldn't understand..they couldn't "bear" the information
or knowledge.
And what could that possibly have been after being so intimate with him?
Why did he wait til then? So fascinating.
He is saying in the next verse the Holy Spirit will tell them later...which is always so funny to me hearing
my Catholic friends say there are "no more Revelations given" in this day.
What? I get Divine Insights every other day!

Could it have been as simple as to explain how matter is formed and how an atom when
split is pure a sound, heat and light? And that this is the essence of the "Father"?
Afterall, doctors wouldn't believe in the concept of unseen bacteria in the operation room
causing their patients to die from infection til when? The 1700s, was it?
It might have been that simple, no big mystery, I suppose.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
... What is the need of the Bible Vizio?
I thought God gave you the Holy Spirit, why the need to venerate a lowly book?
When you have a direct access to God right there next to you, the one Jesus left, since
humans wrote and collected the Bible but Jesus himself supposedly sent down the Dove to guide you.
The Dove can't do calculus?
The Dove knows nothing about how to bolster the immune system through vaccines?

Religions are so laughably and obviously false.
LuminousTruth, if you keep holding back you'll make yourself sick.....

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
The passage that "man doth not live by bread alone" is written in which Testament?
The Old or the New?
Exactly.
Jesus said it, but did he explain exactly how one does live without food?
Pretty mysterious and secret to me. (And what was that manna from Heaven...if Heaven is within?)
Yogis live entirely on Sat Naam, the Word, the primordial vibration,
prana, chi, the Divine Inner Sound Current mimmicked by Om,
the life force...a rose is a rose by any other name.

("...but they are not obvious..".....not to everyone, you're right...but still in plain sight
for those that dig deeper and have discernment, imo.)

Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"the" Bible. Which one? Which translation, which version, what language, what interpretation, The Catholic, The Protestant?
The Bible. It doesn't include the apocryphal books of the Catholic church. Just read the Bible. You can pick whatever language you want, or any of a number of good translations -- they're all based off of the same texts.
Quote:
What of the Qur'an and the Bhagavad Gita? Is God incapable of making himself clear past ink and ancient text?
No. Those texts are not inspired by God.
Quote:

The same is true of Prophets, they pretend to speak for God put they are divinely guided as much as the Oracle at Delphi. False, False, False. The Jews in the story might have been scared of the Black Cloud of their God. We aren't ancient Jews.
You don't need prophets--God's word is written in the 66 books of the Bible.
Quote:
God would be doing a disservice by not appearing himself as he did in stories of ancient days. Is God too weak to walk with us physically and immortally? Is God so unwilling to help his children?
He did walk and talk with man. He became flesh and died on the cross at the hands of man. He left us his teachings in the Bible. He gave us the church to proclaim the teachings of the Bible. He left the Spirit to guide us.
Quote:
There is higher meaning everywhere you look. What is the need of the Bible Vizio? I thought God gave you the Holy Spirit, why the need to venerate a lowly book?
I've never suggested we venerate a book. But it does contain the word of God.
Quote:

When you have a direct access to God right there next to you, the one Jesus left, since humans wrote and collected the Bible but Jesus himself supposedly sent down the Dove to guide you. The Dove can't do calculus? The Dove knows nothing about how to bolster the immune system through vaccines?

Religions are so laughably and obviously false. Goodness is so obviously and independently good.
The problem, of course, is when everyone claims a different message from "The Dove". Then what? Does "The Dove" give conflicting messages? Does he tell one person one thing and another an exact opposite message?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post

The passage that "man doth not live by bread alone" is written in which Testament? The Old or the New?
Jesus quoted it from the OT. It's actually contained in both.

But you're right--they're not hidden, but we do need to put forth some effort to see what it actually says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality