Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying they are/aren't or are of equal value but could it be possible some carry a deeper hidden meaning beyond the typical fantasical stories and recycled Sunday School interpretations?

Perhaps a higher power would "hide" them so those who were ready and able to understand could obtain the knowledge... after all, you can't put a 1st grader into a university and expect them to succeed... but perhaps a higher power would still want/need to get the information out and available?

Humans make models to understand things that are difficult or even impossible to understand otherwise, such as using mathematical equations in quantum mechanics. If you don't know your math, it will all seem like gibberish and the quantum world is too alien to understand in normal terms. Could books like the bible be the same idea ("models" of greater concepts that can't otherwise be communicated in an undertandable format, told through stories and histories)?

... Or is that all just "Davinci Code" style entertainment and the human tendency of trying to find meaning in the meaningless.

I hope both believers and non believers chime in... maybe we can learn something!

Last edited by Chango; 10-23-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
I'm leery of someone that suggests that there is a hidden meaning. If God had something to say...why would he hide it?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm leery of someone that suggests that there is a hidden meaning. If God had something to say...why would he hide it?
Exactly.

If God wanted to talk to us, he would. He wouldn't just whisper in the ears of a few dozen men a few thousand years ago and have a few thousand more men translate and re-translate and guess at what that other guy meant and Presto!: The Supposed Word Of God Appearing In The 4,137th Version Of The Bible And This One Is For Sure The Real Deal!

He just wouldn't.

That's stupid and God can't be stupid.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Exactly.

He just wouldn't.

On the other hand, even the parables have a deeper meaning than appears on the surface. Anyone can learn from any of the parables and get something worth knowing from them. But with almost all of them there are deeper meanings, meanings which can only be grasped by those who are spiritually ready to receive them. That's what's so remarkable about them. I don't know if this is what Chango had in mind or not, but "hidden meanings" might only be hidden from us until we're capable of understanding them.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Exactly.

If God wanted to talk to us, he would. He wouldn't just whisper in the ears of a few dozen men a few thousand years ago and have a few thousand more men translate and re-translate and guess at what that other guy meant and Presto!: The Supposed Word Of God Appearing In The 4,137th Version Of The Bible And This One Is For Sure The Real Deal!

He just wouldn't.

Exactly, I still want to know who Joseph's father was? I mean this is something God obviously wanted to reveal but somehow just did make it clear enough.

But wait there is a possibility that there is some hidden truth like it is Mary's geneaology even though nothing in the text says that or that Joseph had two fathers no matter how unconventional that is or unclear. But for the elite spiritual ones God has given them special eyes to see these hidden truths.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
This is my chance to write one of my favorite verses...so cryptic...

There is so much I want to tell you but you can not bear (grasp) it now.
(I have yet many things to tell you but you can not bear them.)
John 16:12

What? What? Couldn't they grasp?
After over 3 years with him around campfires and 3 of them seeing him
transfigure into light...he says this at the last supper....when he tells them he's going to come
back after his death....what couldn't he tell them?

I think this pertinent to the op...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
I bet you don't see any irony in your post at all.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
On the other hand, even the parables have a deeper meaning than appears on the surface. Anyone can learn from any of the parables and get something worth knowing from them. But with almost all of them there are deeper meanings, meanings which can only be grasped by those who are spiritually ready to receive them. That's what's so remarkable about them. I don't know if this is what Chango had in mind or not, but "hidden meanings" might only be hidden from us until we're capable of understanding them.
That is exactly what I mean, Katz. Not hidden per se like secret ceremonies or gnostic style doctrine for "special" initiated people only, but hidden in plain sight because only a mind at a certain level of progression can "see the big picture" and grasp it and/or because it's knowledge from a higher perspective that just can't be "dumbed down" to the normal human perspective without loosing it's meaning... back to the whole "can't teach a dog algebra" problem.

I suppose it's a very LDS way to think of things too...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 PM

535 posts, read 967,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is my chance to write one of my favorite verses...so cryptic...

There is so much I want to tell you but you can not bear (grasp) it now.
(I have yet many things to tell you but you can not bear them.)
John 16:12

What? What? Couldn't they grasp?
After over 3 years with him around campfires and 3 of them seeing him
transfigure into light...he says this at the last supper....when he tells them he's going to come
back after his death....what couldn't he tell them?

I think this pertinent to the op...
Hi Miss Hepburn. If you put the verse into context and read John 16:1-15 does it still not make sense? Was it that Jesus couldn't tell them, or that they wouldn't understand what he was telling them?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I bet you don't see any irony in your post at all.
No...I don't. God gave us the Bible. Just read it. It's not that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality