Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

That basis of a unit is man made ,not natural history or fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What are you smoking?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
did you ever go to school?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Our calculation of time is based on the rotation of the earth and it's orbit around the sun....How is that man made and not natural?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:10 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Our calculation of time is based on the rotation of the earth and it's orbit around the sun....How is that man made and not natural?
Originally, yes. As someone else mentioned, it's been transferred to a more stable standard now based on an atomic clock, just as what constitutes various linear and weight measures have often been modified. For example a meter was originally intended to be a tiny fraction of the distance from the equator to the north pole, and now it is how far light can travel in a vacuum in a set time interval (tiny fraction of a second). Some measures of weight and volume used to be against some standard shapes / weights at some international standards organization, until it was realized that over hundreds of years they would change slightly from simple atmospheric exposure.

For all that, arguments of how (un)natural such measurements are, are specious. ALL are man-made by definition; so what? Unless one can argue that they are inaccurate or flawed in some objective way, it does not matter how or whether they are connected with nature. In any case, what does "natural" even mean? The vibrational rate of Cesium atoms is perfectly natural, even if it can only be accurately measured with unnatural equipment (although if it's made by humans, who are part of nature, in what sense is the equipment unnatural??). How far light can travel in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second is the same story.

All this hand-waving dismissal is a distraction and generates heat, not light with regard to this topic.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Acording to scriptures the earth was watered by a mist comming from the ground before the flood. we would call fog or dew.
And there again the scriptures are wrong, dew and fog do not come from the ground, they are both products of the atmosphere. No more than the condensation on a window or a mirror are the products of either the window or the mirror.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Your reasoning is basically sound but your conclusion is wrong.
Rainbows are the effect of light passing through the front of a drop of water and being bent slightly. As the light passes out of the drop it is bent again. This bending diffuses and separates the light and shows one of it's properties- color; specifically all the colors of the rainbow.
Color is a visual perceptual property of light waves. They key term is "perceptual". Color is not something physically exists, and as a result, rainbows [as a spectrum of color] do not physically exist either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

Technically a rainbow is proof of God's existence.
Genesis 9:13-16

New King James Version (NKJV)

I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”
Verses 13-16 are promises from God to man. The following verse (17, not listed) is a direct message from God to man.
There's nothing technical or explicitly accurate in the text above. Thus, a rainbow is not proof of God's existence based on anything you have presented.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Can you be clear in what you are saying? Simply posting a link does not share your points or views.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Wow! I have several photos of rainbows, including some I have taken myself! I guess that puts me into the category of those who have seen UFO's ...

Shaking head ....
I don't think you understood my post. What you see in your photos is the light reflecting off of pigmentation and into your eyes. Your brain interprets the various waves of light as colors. But this is merely perception. What you are really seeing is varying wavelengths of light. Not color.

UFOs exist. Not necessarily foreign spaceships, but there's several records of unidentified objects entering the earth's atmosphere. Typically small meteors.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think you understood my post. What you see in your photos is the light reflecting off of pigmentation and into your eyes. Your brain interprets the various waves of light as colors. But this is merely perception. What you are really seeing is varying wavelengths of light. Not color.

UFOs exist. Not necessarily foreign spaceships, but there's several records of unidentified objects entering the earth's atmosphere. Typically small meteors.
Interesting that the camera lens "sees" the same thing our eyes do.

Are both sets of eyes being fooled?

Or are they perceiving something that exists - however ephemerally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality