Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,711,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No. Some "blind" people are not able to "see" it...but , fortunately, the vaaaaaaast majority of all the people that have ever lived aren't "blind" to it.
Sure, they all claim to "see" something, but none of them can agree on what it is they're actually seeing. That's perfectly consistent with the attribute of god I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Don't be coy (let alone evasive ) Mystic; let everyone know what you think they are and why they deserve the term 'God' rather than 'reality'. And please don't drag in irrelevant accusations of us going looking for extra attributes, beliefs or characterisations. We are talking about reality (whatever it is - and there is no logical requirement for us to be able to explain exactly what it is) without any of that, reality being what is (to a given value of Is) and with no need to prefer the God -label that anyone has been able argue.

You may prefer to use it, but there is not the slightest reason why anyone else should.
And, I might add from my own perspective - given peoples I.Q's were only peaking 70 if that, during the mass productive days of "proof" by bible book, makes me less likely to believe it as such a proof.
Even less impressive were the Gods prior although at least a better read via entertainment factor and understood given the peek of brain activity during the time.

As evolution takes place, the weeding and pruning begin. Traditional beliefs are changing, they have to. Even the most Godliest take the science of weather prediction and medicine seriously. What they don't realize is it pretty much applies across the board of life, they are slowly adapting to the ways of intellect and less in their lives are God provided.

"God, please make it rain" has changed to "God dammit, the weather man said it's not going to rain for another week"

"God, please make me feel better" has changed to "Doctor, what can you do to help me?" "I want the best medical care"

The only thing left to change is thanking the "God" for what other people have done. I'm sure it's just a matter of time once we stop believing in the possession of innocent science based workers by a God like being.

But, it's nice to imagine that blanket, that father or mother, so we do - knowingly just like victorianp - but less likely to admit we're the fools groupies in public. Although I must say I can't believe VP admits it, admirable or strange, none the less pretty much the same. Just a belief in nothing but a metaphor for ones own wants and needs, comfort and confusion.

Surprisingly I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't bleed into my "reality"
Then it's just a tad scary!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

63,741 posts, read 40,011,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You mean the ones you keep claiming exist- but don't list?
This is so tedious. I have probably listed them 20 or more times and Gldn has as well. They are the same ones science attributes to our ineffable reality. If you are just being provocative . . . like Gldn . . . I forgive you . . . but don't pretend you haven't been given what has clearly been provided numerous times. The only hiccup is your refusal to consider the attributes to have enough "Godness."

Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is so tedious. I have probably listed them 20 or more times and Gldn has as well. They are the same ones science attributes to our ineffable reality.
Please post references to these peer-reviewed scientific papers listing the attributes of god, please.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,273 times
Quote:
Wrong.
Within the totality of All Energy/Matter those attributes DO exist...that's not unsubstantiated, it's a given.
I perceive those attributes are such that I title what possesses those attributes "GOD".
On what rational or reasonable basis do YOU get to determine or define what I should/could perceive as "GOD" to ME?

"GOD' is a TITLE...that can be assigned to anyone/anything one perceives as such.

That the assignment of the title "GOD" to whatever anyone perceives as such is "unsubstantiated" to you...is just your perception of their perception.
And, in fact, your perception of the assignment of the title, that has the exact same substantiation basis used by those you are judging to assign it.
Those aren't attributes (characteristics), those are functions. I don't particularly care about your own perceptions, but when you try to convince others or make definitive statements to others, then you must have reasons for them to come to the same conclusions as you. By calling reality "God" you are assigning reality the same level of exaltation as Neil Peart, whom many music lovers consider the "God" of percussion.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,643,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Those aren't attributes (characteristics), those are functions. I don't particularly care about your own perceptions, but when you try to convince others or make definitive statements to others, then you must have reasons for them to come to the same conclusions as you. By calling reality "God" you are assigning reality the same level of exaltation as Neil Peart, whom many music lovers consider the "God" of percussion.
Pearts' okay. But when he sat in with the Buddy Rich Tribute Band...well, let's just say, it wasn't like Buddy...by a long shot. Buddy is the top Percussion GOD. Neil is one of the "lesser" Percussion GODs...in my perception, of course.
Others might differ...then their perception takes precedent...for THEM.

Here's what you still don't "get"...I make statements about my perception of GOD that is definitive for ME...others have their perceptions of GOD that is definitive for them.
I never said others have to come to the same conclusion as me. MOF I said the number of different perceptions of GOD are equal to the number of people...as they are unique to each individual.
So, how would you figure I thought others need to lock step with my perceptions?

Do you wanna debate about the subject at hand...or debate about me?
You say you don't care...but then discuss nothing but, with a little rather sub-par snark added.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You know I'll take that pity Goldie, and raise you with my fun facts.

Atheist do have imaginations, I, for example, often think ghosts are around because I myself hope to become one when I go. I'd love to hang around for a while and make sure everyone is ok, pull some pranks. lol
And sometimes I like to believe in a "mother earth" kind of Goddess, and then their is my wiccan fantasies.
I'd love to jump on the bandwagon but..............it's just no that easy..........so many choices. I'm sort of like victorianpunk but with more added and I call myself an atheist with a wonderful imagination.
I'm so, so sorry Poppy...I can't spare any pity for ya.
Based on your "fun facts"...you don't feel that it is "imagination" or "making it up". MOF, you even claim that you can "see" things pretty well yourself. Which is why I can't pity you.
Dig this...you are ALREADY on the bandwagon! That's so cool.

You can be an Atheist that can "see". And it looks like you have it down...what with your "ghost" vibes, and your GODDESS perceptions along the lines of "Mother Earth". Good stuff.
Please DM me with the Wiccan fantasies...I'd love to hear them. I know lots of Wiccans.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,688,273 times
Quote:
Pearts' okay. But when he sat in with the Buddy Rich Tribute Band...well, let's just say, it wasn't like Buddy...by a long shot. Buddy is the top Percussion GOD. Neil is one of the "lesser" Percussion GODs...in my perception, of course.
Others might differ...then their perception takes precedent...for THEM.

Here's what you still don't "get"...I make statements about my perception of GOD that is definitive for ME...others have their perceptions of GOD that is definitive for them.
I never said others have to come to the same conclusion as me. MOF I said the number of different perceptions of GOD are equal to the number of people...as they are unique to each individual.
So, how would you figure I thought others need to lock step with my perceptions?

Do you wanna debate about the subject at hand...or debate about me?
You say you don't care...but then discuss nothing but, with a little rather sub-par snark added.
If Rich is, by definition, at the same level as your Reality God, then how is it worthy of any worship?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If Rich is, by definition, at the same level as your Reality God, then how is it worthy of any worship?
I didn't say anything about worship. What's with that?

Buddy R is, in my perception, the top Percussion GOD...his consciousness includes a superlative aptitude for drumming...and is one of the components of the Consciousness Field that establishes all Reality.
The part is not the whole...but the whole is also every part. As per my perception.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Quote:
I'm so, so sorry Poppy...I can't spare any pity for ya.
Based on your "fun facts"...you don't feel that it is "imagination" or "making it up". MOF, you even claim that you can "see" things pretty well yourself. Which is why I can't pity you.
Dig this...you are ALREADY on the bandwagon! That's so cool.

You can be an Atheist that can "see". And it looks like you have it down...what with your "ghost" vibes, and your GODDESS perceptions along the lines of "Mother Earth". Good stuff.
Please DM me with the Wiccan fantasies...I'd love to hear them. I know lots of Wiccans.
I'm glad to know that you realize how powerful your imagination can be Goldie! As long as people know it's their own imagination at work they will keep me out of it and allow me the freedoms to imagine on my own.
One day "group fantasy mega churches" will grasp that sharing their fantasies as truth is deception provided that more Theists like you and victorianpunk populate this planet. I'm looking forward to this new refreshing blend of individualist Christians. You help weed out the invasive fundamentalists!

And yes, quite a few atheists are on the bandwagon of fantasy, it's fun to imagine the impossible. Without our imagination there would be no "Star Trek" No Iron Man! God is a cool fantasy, sometimes scary as well, just depends on who's having the fantasy. David Koresh down in Texas is a good example of why we shouldn't take ourselves to seriously, and why it doesn't work to force our fantasy on others for our own pleasures. Then we call it "mental illness" When the fantasy gets out of control and corrupt to the point of using others, we call him the pope, or a ruler like Kim Jung Un. Fantasy is great until it's turned into a mock reality for others and gets out of control because fantasy can also be deadly if one loses sight of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality