Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Personally I couldn't care less as long as they leave me and mine alone. And these days they don't. They are trying to ban any signs/symbols of religion entirely from all of the public sphere. Soon it will be illegal to wear a religious symbol around one's neck/on one's clothing. Or carry a book in public that has a title with any religious connotations. All because the atheists or someone else is offended. Well too bad. Waaaa. Religious people have just as many rights in this country as atheists so suck it up. Get over it. And don't give me that "Separation of Church and State" crap because it does NOT appear in the constitution. All it is, is contrived atheistic-liberal B.S.
You don't really sound as though you couldn't care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Personally I couldn't care less as long as they leave me and mine alone. And these days they don't. They are trying to ban any signs/symbols of religion entirely from all of the public sphere. Soon it will be illegal to wear a religious symbol around one's neck/on one's clothing. Or carry a book in public that has a title with any religious connotations. All because the atheists or someone else is offended. Well too bad. Waaaa. Religious people have just as many rights in this country as atheists so suck it up. Get over it. And don't give me that "Separation of Church and State" crap because it does NOT appear in the constitution. All it is, is contrived atheistic-liberal B.S.
Funny. In my 62 years sharing the planet, I've yet to have my first atheist knock on my door or otherwise attempt to get me to see their light.

Christians aplenty have though, of various stripes.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Utter nonsense. Which is why can't provide a single cite or reference to any atheist trying to ban any signs/symbols of religion entirely from all of the publis sphere. You're either lying, or hopelessly confused (judging from your posts, I'm inclined to think profound ignorance is a more likely explanation than dishonesty in your case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The problem I see is that most of this country identifies as some type of religious adherent, while actual Atheists (not Agnostics and unaffiliated) are a tiny minority. The masses will naturally have a loud and obnoxious fringe just because it's hard to avoid nuts with a group that large. With actual Atheists being such a minority, one rude and outspoken Atheist is a much bigger representative than a similarly rude Theist.
Similarly, one respectful and polite atheist is a much bigger representative of his/her group than a similarly respectul theist. See how that works? (not that it matters - you are making a ridiculous and irrelevant point)

Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
And don't give me that "Separation of Church and State" crap because it does NOT appear in the constitution. All it is, is contrived atheistic-liberal B.S.
Does that mean you think religious institutions should start paying taxes then?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Utter nonsense. Which is why can't provide a single cite or reference to any atheist trying to ban any signs/symbols of religion entirely from all of the publis sphere. You're either lying, or hopelessly confused (judging from your posts, I'm inclined to think profound ignorance is a more likely explanation than dishonesty in your case).

Hello! Today we explore yet another new word. Today's word is: disingenuous. OK everyone, let's all say it together: dis, in, gen, uous. It means to pretend to be innocent. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, disingenuous - definition of disingenuous by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Atheist's protest of holiday decorations forces Santa Monica to cancel Christmas | Mail Online

Judge Throws Out Atheists’ Lawsuit Against 9/11 Steel Cross — But Non-Believers Vow to Fight on | TheBlaze.com

Please....

Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hello! Today we explore yet another new word. Today's word is: disingenuous. OK everyone, let's all say it together: dis, in, gen, uous. It means to pretend to be innocent. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, disingenuous - definition of disingenuous by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Atheist's protest of holiday decorations forces Santa Monica to cancel Christmas | Mail Online

Judge Throws Out Atheists’ Lawsuit Against 9/11 Steel Cross — But Non-Believers Vow to Fight on | TheBlaze.com

Please....
You may want to read again the post you quoted. That is not what he said didn't happen.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Utter nonsense. Which is why can't provide a single cite or reference to any atheist trying to ban any signs/symbols of religion entirely from all of the public sphere. You're either lying, or hopelessly confused (judging from your posts, I'm inclined to think profound ignorance is a more likely explanation than dishonesty in your case).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Please....
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You may want to read again the post you quoted. That is not what he said didn't happen.
No need to read again because the "weasel words qualifier" in the bold qualifies under the rubric of "disingenuous" also. It pretends that the complaint is all-encompassing and ignores the extant instances . . . like those cited by Mr 5150.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No need to read again because the "weasel words qualifier" in the bold qualifies under the rubric of "disingenuous" also. It pretends that the complaint is all-encompassing and ignores the extant instances . . . like those cited by Mr 5150.
You might want to go back and see who used those "weasel words qualifier" first.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You might want to go back and see who used those "weasel words qualifier" first.
The provenance of the dispute is not relevant to analysis of the extant posting. Mr 5150 is correct . . . it is clearly disingenuous on its face.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
The provenance of the dispute is not relevant to analysis of the extant posting. Mr 5150 is correct . . . it is clearly disingenuous on its face.
It is disingenuous that someone refuted the exact thing that was posted? If you say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality