Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,220,825 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
Quote:
When I look at all of the people I've come into contact with in my life the overwhelming majority of them have more good qualities than bad.
The problem is that the really bad people do not advertise their 'badness'.
I doubt you will recognise a child molester or a serial killer when he is standing in front of you. These people are hard-core criminals. They often know that they are evil but they don't care or might not even consider themselves evil.
And then you have the easily corruptible people who aren't necessarily bad, but do evil things because they believe it is 'necessary' (otherwise known as peer pressure). These people are more followers than hard-core criminals and most of the time they do not think of themselves as evil or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 04:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,488,822 times
Using my own interpretation of good and bad..A good person is one who is one who takes care of his/her family and is willing to lend a hand to others without boasting about it, he/she accepts and shows no favoritism or bad attitudes towards other peoples beliefs or lifestyles..A bad person is one who willfully breaks the laws of the land, is critical of everyone that doesn't meet his ideals or lifestyle...I believe there are many more good people in this world than bad, because they are not in the spotlight everytime you tune into the news

Old 11-22-2007, 05:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,164,969 times
If there were really more "bad" people than good ones, I really don't think that civilization would have lasted this long. It would have been a dog-eat-dog world long ago.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:54 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,641,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Using my own interpretation of good and bad..A good person is one who is one who takes care of his/her family and is willing to lend a hand to others without boasting about it, he/she accepts and shows no favoritism or bad attitudes towards other peoples beliefs or lifestyles..A bad person is one who willfully breaks the laws of the land, is critical of everyone that doesn't meet his ideals or lifestyle...I believe there are many more good people in this world than bad, because they are not in the spotlight everytime you tune into the news
maybe they should have a good news channel on t.v.
i wonder if our world/people would become better if more good things/news stories surrounded us.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:06 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,126,653 times
Hi, I guess I don't think of people in terms of being good or bad because I think that there are good and bad qualities in all of us. Even the most hardened criminal is of value to God. Maybe some of us don't see our bad qualities as being "bad" so we consider ourselves to be good people. I mean I may consider myself to be a "good" person because I provide for my family, treat others well, give to the poor, am successful according to the world, ect., but then again my motives may be wrong. I may be doing it and not giving God the glory so I would see this as being bad. And again, are any of us really "good"? Many of us are decent people, and some of us are believers striving with the help of God to live for Him, but I don't really know how to answer this, a tough question. Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-22-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,449,384 times
I think we first have to define what constitutes a bad person and a good person. I think, or at least would like to think, that all humans have the capability of being good. On the flip side, I also think that all humans have the capability of being bad.

Even the most vile, reprehensible criminal surely has done something, even if not spectacular, good in their lifetime. Even ol' Chucky Manson probably did one good thing in his life. Does that make him a good person?

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,641,654 times
i was speaking in general terms and should have been more specific. im sorry about that but i know you all forgive me

Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,220,825 times
Originally Posted by nicolepsy
Quote:
i was speaking in general terms and should have been more specific. im sorry about that but i know you all forgive me
Why feel sorry for asking questions?
If you want to find answers questioning yourself and others is often the only way.
To me bad people are either ignorant or evil on purpose.
But mostly it boils down to only acknowledging their own personal wants and needs, therefore denying the wants and needs of others. A rapist doesn't care about the wants and needs of his victim. Most of them are 'smart' enough to hide their evil side, because they know that society will condemn them for it.
Good people recognise that others also have want and needs and respect them whenever they are within reason.

I find most corporations evil, simply because they don't mind exploiting the weak. To them exploitation and being opportunistic isn't evil, it is just a form of doing business and they’ll do anything to make a profit or get the job done.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 AM

613 posts, read 1,269,534 times
good and bad are rather subjective terms
with that said...i believe for one to be sane..and living as not suicidal which would reflect ones sanity which is also subjective one must find oneself to be "good"..and as subjective as good and bad are...good and bad are in the eye of the beholder ...there for making i believe more good people then bad

Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,611,409 times
Tricky D wrote:
Quote:
I doubt you will recognise a child molester or a serial killer when he is standing in front of you.
Good point. In order to avoid detection these people will go to great lengths to blend in to society. The BTK killer was tracked to a computer at his church where he was very active. However I do think that in order for a society to function there has to be a willingness by a large majority of citizens to cooperate and act responsibly or civilization would just fall apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality