U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
 
6,904 posts, read 4,332,111 times
Reputation: 678

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your accusations are logical fallacies, but my post is not....You really are getting confused these days....Oldtimers disease?.....Are you saying that you have evidence for the existence for god? If I were you, I'd submit such evidence to the James Randi foundation and collect the million bucks....There is probably no hurry, because there is little to no chance of anyone beating you to the prize. Challenge Info
I checked it out sans.

James Randi Foundation is offering to pay the first person who could offer proof of the paranormal...anyone who could demonstrate paranormal powers in a controlled test.

They define “paranormal” as follows: Webster’s Online Dictionary defines “paranormal” as “not scientifically explainable; supernatural."

I don't think there is anything "supernatural"...so I'm ineligible.
There are "natural" phenomena that I perceive to be "super"...but not "supernatural".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,900 posts, read 33,198,339 times
Reputation: 13068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Not believing is an affirmative posture. In a sense is a belief system.

b]they do not believe that any gods exist[/b] is the same as saying they believe that gods do not exist.
Not believing is not an affirmative position, nor a belief, but a conclusion....Disbelief in gods is not the same as declaring knowledge that gods do not exist. I took years examining all the evidence for the existence of gods, finding none, I came to the conclusion that there is no reason to believe that they do..

All theists should be called agnostics for the same reason you think atheists should....The existence of gods is unprovable, and therefore unknowable....And could also be labeled atheists for the thousands of gods they do not believe exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,900 posts, read 33,198,339 times
Reputation: 13068
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I checked it out sans.

James Randi Foundation is offering to pay the first person who could offer proof of the paranormal...anyone who could demonstrate paranormal powers in a controlled test.

They define “paranormal” as follows: Webster’s Online Dictionary defines “paranormal” as “not scientifically explainable; supernatural."

I don't think there is anything "supernatural"...so I'm ineligible.
There are "natural" phenomena that I perceive to be "super"...but not "supernatural".
So you think god is a natural part of the universe, do you....Well that is surprising for a guy who relies so steadfastly on logical fallacies, as it certainly puts in the minority...Even the non religious, (36% of the would population) have you so whipped.

You should read the applicants log on Randi's site....Lotsa laughs there....I like this one... Rosemary Hunter has applied for the Challenge, media presence requirement included, with the extraordinary claim that she can make people urinate themselves with the power of her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM
 
11,174 posts, read 7,406,936 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not believing is not an affirmative position, nor a belief, but a conclusion....Disbelief in gods is not the same as declaring knowledge that gods do not exist. I took years examining all the evidence for the existence of gods, finding none, I came to the conclusion that there is no reason to believe that they do..

All theists should be called agnostics for the same reason you think atheists should....The existence of gods is unprovable, and therefore unknowable....And could also be labeled atheists for the thousands of gods they do not believe exist.

It is taking a position. There are two sides of the fence and as an Atheist you are picking one side.

I have news for you zero is actually a number.

I agree with the idea that theists should be agnostics. I suggest that atheists should also be agnostics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,900 posts, read 33,198,339 times
Reputation: 13068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is taking a position. There are two sides of the fence and as an Atheist you are picking one side.

I have news for you zero is actually a number.

I agree with the idea that theists should be agnostics. I suggest that atheists should also be agnostics.
Atheists seem to be defined in many different ways by Christians, but below is the Merriam Webster definition of both atheist, theist and agnostic....The one I, and most others go by.

Full Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity.

ag·nos·tic
: a person who does not have a definite belief about whether God exists or not.

the·ism
: the belief that God exists or that many gods exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM
 
6,343 posts, read 9,057,654 times
Reputation: 3468
This has got to be the single stupidest thing I have ever read.

An atheist gets away from religion and what do they do? Create the LAMEST, most BRAIN DRAINING thing religions in the western world do to steal money: a church.

Do they do atheist meditation? No. Atheist contemplation? No. They remove all the good things religion can provide and accept only the lamest part of religion in America, which is this:


Do You See The Light? - YouTube


Idiotic...simply IDIOTIC. I love religion, but singing to worship GOD? It makes no sense, especially considering most people can't sing.

I never did understand how singing makes people feel more spiritual. Listening to music? Sure. But singing? And touching random people you don't know? Don't these "rational atheists" think of germs?

Stupidity, plain unedited stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 PM
 
6,343 posts, read 9,057,654 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You should read the applicants log on Randi's site....Lotsa laughs there....I like this one... Rosemary Hunter has applied for the Challenge, media presence requirement included, with the extraordinary claim that she can make people urinate themselves with the power of her mind.

Lawyer Victor Zammit offered Randi half a million dollars if Randi can prove his challenge is scientific...Randi has refused to admit any such challenge exists, let alone take it. So, while I don't believe in the paranormal myself but remain opened minded I do understand 100% that Randi is a fraud, no better than his fellow frauds who claim to be psychic.

A critical look at Randi’s Million Dollar Challenge | The Weiler Psi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,900 posts, read 33,198,339 times
Reputation: 13068
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Lawyer Victor Zammit offered Randi half a million dollars if Randi can prove his challenge is scientific...Randi has refused to admit any such challenge exists, let alone take it. So, while I don't believe in the paranormal myself but remain opened minded I do understand 100% that Randi is a fraud, no better than his fellow frauds who claim to be psychic.

A critical look at Randi’s Million Dollar Challenge | The Weiler Psi
Wow, an authoritative blog, no less....Would that be the same as the fact that I believe all gods are frauds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,900 posts, read 33,198,339 times
Reputation: 13068
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This has got to be the single stupidest thing I have ever read.

An atheist gets away from religion and what do they do? Create the LAMEST, most BRAIN DRAINING thing religions in the western world do to steal money: a church.

Do they do atheist meditation? No. Atheist contemplation? No. They remove all the good things religion can provide and accept only the lamest part of religion in America, which is this:

Idiotic...simply IDIOTIC. I love religion, but singing to worship GOD? It makes no sense, especially considering most people can't sing.

I never did understand how singing makes people feel more spiritual. Listening to music? Sure. But singing? And touching random people you don't know? Don't these "rational atheists" think of germs?

Stupidity, plain unedited stupidity.
The only ones calling this a church are the religious, but you are entitled to your opinion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM
 
11,174 posts, read 7,406,936 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atheists seem to be defined in many different ways by Christians, but below is the Merriam Webster definition of both atheist, theist and agnostic....The one I, and most others go by.

Full Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity.

ag·nos·tic
: a person who does not have a definite belief about whether God exists or not.

the·ism
: the belief that God exists or that many gods exist.
The definition you provide for atheist clearly states Atheism is a belief system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top