Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am a lifelong Atheist and the idea of an 'Atheist church' is very strange to me. I have no desire to attend one.

However, I think many current Atheists were Theists at one time and some were even very active in their place of worship. Maybe they miss the big gatherings of people with similar beliefs, so an Atheist church has some appeal to them.

I know of one lady who converted to Judaism but still sung in the choir at ther former church. Christians really do have a talent for creating absolutely beautiful music.
'cause it's internally inspired

Atheists have inspirations as well... but mostly intellectual in nature or externally inspired. Where are divide exists, generally speaking, is our (Theists) definition of faith.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
maybe the article writer GILLIAN FLACCUS actually did some reporting with "boots on the ground" instead of relying solely on a web site and reported of that being stated.

From the report:
Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors
have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in
Great Britain earlier this year.
No doubt when their hypocrisy over shadows the mockery of the moment ... the fools will get the word out to their supporters to not be saying "church".
You figured them out. Good work detective. It is hard hitting journalism like this that makes me proud.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You figured them out. Good work detective. It is hard hitting journalism like this that makes me proud.
Look again.

The writer says "supporters and detractors". Not "members".

Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Look again.

The writer says "supporters and detractors". Not "members".
But the reporter had boots on the ground. On the ground!!!!!!

I really can't fathom how even if they did call themselves a church it would upset someone. I don't know how some people make it through the day.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
But the reporter had boots on the ground. On the ground!!!!!!

I really can't fathom how even if they did call themselves a church it would upset someone. I don't know how some people make it through the day.
It upsets them enough that Vizio made sure we knew that he thought some pastor (who he doesn't know and will probably never meet) should be booted from the pulpit because of a book he had on his lap.

A number of people commented on their singing and their charity work. Apparently the fundamentalists are extremely worried about the books people hold. Who knew?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I wonder that they do in these atheist churches... What do they worship?

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.
Yawn. So what?

I would no sooner go to these meetings than I would go to church. To me, it offers nothing.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
The question is will they be subject to the same legal restrictions imposed on traditional religions (ie: separation of church and state, no prayer in gov. buildings etc.) or is this another double standard of the atheistic left?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
The question is will they be subject to the same legal restrictions imposed on traditional religions (ie: separation of church and state, no prayer in gov. buildings etc.) or is this another double standard of the atheistic left?
Well, I'm fairly certain they'd continue with the no-prayer thing.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There is nothing to separate. There is no "church". They should be held to the same restrictions as any other non religious group.

And don't they open every session of the senate and congress with a prayer? Are those not government buildings?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
People are free to pray in public buildings, your persecution complex notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality