Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,621,551 times

Advertisements

Good. Now maybe they will leave the rest of us alone!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have I suggested that we shouldn't be united in Christ?

Why would you, for a second, consider that he's anything but a fraud by being in a position where he is to tend to God's flock?
Do you understand that not everyone shares your beliefs? You seem to have decided that if people don't share your beliefs..... they're wrong. It's a big world. Huge. With all kinds of people with all kinds of beliefs. Do you respect the beliefs of other people? (The "why would you...." tells me you don't.) I'd invite you to think about that.

p.s. If you don't want to think about it.... there's an ignore button. Easy peasy if the beliefs of others make you queasy!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-14-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you understand that not everyone shares your beliefs?
Yes. Do you understand that not everyone shares your beliefs? You make a habit of personal attacks when people disagree with you.
Quote:

Do you respect the beliefs of other people?
Yes. Do YOU respect the beliefs of other people? The cheap shot personal attacks tell me you don't.
Quote:

(The "why would you...." tells me you don't.) I'd invite you to think about that.

You seldom talk about Christ, BTW. I'd invite you to think about that as well.
I post non-stop about Him. I'm always talking about what his word says.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times
Quote:
...snip...

Dew is right. You rarely post about Christ or his teachings.

When I read your posts about your "God" and what he says, I always hear the judgmental, doom-laden, murderous, vengeful, angry Abrahamic god - not the Christ I was taught about.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

When I read your posts about your "God" and what he says, I always hear the judgmental, doom-laden, murderous, vengeful, angry Abrahamic god - not the Christ I was taught about.
There might be a couple of reasons for that.

1. Maybe Jesus isn't like what you were taught. the fact is, he is an angry God that will punish sinners. The good news is that Jesus died on the cross in order to take the punishment so sinners wouldn't have to. That is love.

2. Maybe it's because when you see me post, it's usually because I'm responding to someone that is spouting off false doctrine, or is whining because they think God is immoral because he is holy enough to punish sinners.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Good. Now maybe they will leave the rest of us alone!!!!!!
It must be rough to be so persecuted by the atheists.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
1. Maybe Jesus isn't like what you were taught. the fact is, he is an angry God that will punish sinners.
If that were true, God would be a petty, flawed and weak God . . . plagued by the human psychological weaknesses we are heir to . . . as revealed by Cain's reaction to disappointment by punishing Abel.
Quote:
The good news is that Jesus died on the cross in order to take the punishment so sinners wouldn't have to. That is love.
No. That is a sick and perverted nonsensical rationalization designed to retain belief in the savage jealous, angry, vengeful War God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifice so He wouldn't torture us forever . . . and then somehow twist it instead into Love for us all.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,199,480 times
My guess why these type of assemblies find a need is probably for those that grew up in a situation where mixing with strangers at a church is considered "normal".

I have no idea why they would want to continue rituals with another focus.

When we are young, meet ups and interaction with young people may seem like a necessity but once you settle down and the kids grow up, focus changes.

I shared elsewhere that the FB atheists page for SA has less than 1000 members. This is not b/c theism is so strong, it is not. We live in a secular society where religion really plays no significant role. We have never has a creationism/evolution debate as far as school education goes, when the aspect of gay marriage came up, the opponents did not get much press likewise the abortion matter.

These are focal aspects of US society and makes the headlines frequently.

About two years ago, the aspect of creationism in schools did make a headline. A popular radio station took up the debate and atheists got vocal as did many theists who objected to teaching this. The overwhelming consensus was that creationism did not belong in schools at all.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,703,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

The Bible has enough different messages that one can pick and choose. The particular choices an individual makes in this area are very telling of their personality and character.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 AM

33,514 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Quote:
Yes. Do you understand that not everyone shares your beliefs? You make a habit of personal attacks when people disagree with you.

Yes. Do YOU respect the beliefs of other people? The cheap shot personal attacks tell me you don't.

Good grief....In what world did anything DewDrop say an attack?.... Almost every time a poster disagrees with you, you accuse them of attacking you or being off topic...

You will never catch me in a church, Atheist or otherwise...If atheists want to have regular get togethers I would think they would do well to steer clear of the word church, it is after all a social gathering for secular minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.