Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Then you fail at reading comprehension. ONE program for ADVANCED students... NOT the entire English public school system. Another person posted this for for.
So when do you raise the alarm, 2 schools, 10 schools, 10% of the schools, 25%?

Across Europe and this country, the trend is to roll over and capitulate to Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Cupper, you really need to find other things to be outraged about.
Political correctness now raised its ugly head and sets up ignoring the rule of law.

Not on topic but related to political correctness is that the WTO ruled that the seal product ban from Canada was contrary to the agreement and illegal, but was justifiable because of ethics.

Ethics?

WHOSE ethics?

What happened to the rule of law?

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/new...tory/1.2438904

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Across Europe and this country, the trend is to roll over and capitulate to Muslims.
For goodness sake, raise what alarm? This is a non story.
Instead of worrying about one school 2000 miles away in a different country, with a different ethos, (an ethos that clearly nobody has bothered to try to understand), that 'avoided' teaching one history lesson, try worrying about a country that has got to the point of having armed guards outside its own schools. If we want to worry about letters being sent home, lets worry about the letters sent home from American principles because kids are coming to school with loaded guns in their backpacks. Can we please get real with this piece of nonsense. There are more important issues folks.
Clearly there are some in this country that could benefit from a British education. Things like
"developing respect for others, including people with different faiths and beliefs, and helping to challenge prejudice" as outlined in post #32.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Political correctness now raised its ugly head and sets up ignoring the rule of law.

Not on topic but related to political correctness is that the WTO ruled that the seal product ban from Canada was contrary to the agreement and illegal, but was justifiable because of ethics.

Ethics?

WHOSE ethics?

What happened to the rule of law?

CBC My Region - Canada to appeal WTO decision on seal product ban
Ok since this conversation has turned into nonsense I'm leaving you to it.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ok since this conversation has turned into nonsense I'm leaving you to it.
Sorry you feel that way.. I always thought laws applied to everyone but apparently that no longer is important.

Nonsense? Tell that to the indigenous Inuit (Eskimoes) who no longer can sell their seal products.

Guess religion and welfare is a better solution for them.

But why would Europe care... There are no Inuit there.

Sorry you think it's nonsense because it is obvious you don't understand.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Cupper you have posted a story about Canada, Innuits, the seal trade and Europe.

Yes you are absolutely right, I don't understand.
My bad.

Anyway, I'm off to go find Turkey stuffing and find a way of entertaining my kids for a week. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:19 PM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
Quote:
Did you read the actual report referenced?

On page 8
"For example, a history department in a northern city recently avoided selecting the Holocaust as a topic for GCSE course work for fear of confronting anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils. "
That is a direct quote, not something out of a news article.
And not discussed on Factcheck.
Read the actual report.
The quote is from page 15, not page 8 on the copy I found.
Here it is in complete context of the section containing the quote on page 15 from the 46 page report. No copyright restriction found.

Quote:
Constraints affecting all key stages
6.Teacher avoidance of emotive and controversial history

Teachers and schools avoid emotive and controversial history for a variety of reasons, some of which are
well-intentioned. Some feel that certain issues are inappropriate for particular age groups or decide in
advance that pupils lack the maturity to grasp them. Where teachers lack confidence in their subject
knowledge or subject-specific pedagogy, this can also be a reason for avoiding certain content. Staff may wish to avoid causing offence or appearing insensitive to individuals or groups in their classes. In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship. Some teachers also feel that the issues are best avoided in history, believing them to be taught elsewhere in the curriculum such as in citizenship or religious education.For example, a history department in a northern city recently avoided selecting the Holocaust as topic for GCSE coursework for fear of confronting anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils. In another department, teachers were strongly challenged by some Christian parents for their treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict and the history of the state of Israel that did not accord with the teachings of their denomination. In another history department, the Holocaust was taught despite anti-Semitic sentiment among some pupils, but the same department deliberately avoided teaching the Crusades at Key Stage 3 because their balanced treatment of the topic would have directly challenged what was taught in some local mosques.Where teachers model the processes of critical enquiry that characterise the adult discipline of the subject,history teaching may well clash with a narrow and highly partisan version of family or communal history in which some pupils have been reared. In some settings, emotive and controversial history is avoided because it is considered irrelevant to the needs of pupils. In an all-white school, little black history maybe taught at all on the grounds that there are no black pupils to whom it would be relevant.In some schools, teachers also respond to the students’ wishes to avoid history being complicated and problematical. This clearly affects the teaching of emotive and controversial history. -The Historical Association Teaching emotive and controversial history 3-19 page 15,
The Historical Association
59a Kennington Park Road,
London SE11 4JH
When I taught 4th grade in Oregon in the 80's Oregon history was required. The only current textbook was written for 7th graders. This adopted book was useless. The topics did not match the goals, plus it was too difficult for the students to comprehend. I spent many nights, in those pre-internet days, combing city libraries for material to copy. One day another teacher took me into the school storeroom where boxes of old textbooks were housed. I found a 25 year old set of textbooks that fit the bill. They were written for the reading level and maturity level of my class. They didn't talk about the settlers killing off the Indians like the 7th grade text. Instead, Sacajawea was pictured helping Lewis and Clark. I can imagine the parental reaction if their 9 year old came home and announced Oregon's settlers were murderers.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
In The Littleton Community School's controversial letter people are up in arms about because children as young as 8 years old were told they must attend an Islam workshop, and an absence resultant permanent record mark. The dreaded mark in one's permanent record. The school's headmistress has since apologized and revoked the requirement. ‘How Dare They’: Read the Letter From UK School That Left Parents ‘Shocked’ and Outraged | TheBlaze.com It's hard to imagine she simply erred from the text of her letter. I'd hate to be in her shoes.

From UK The school curriculum - Schools
Quote:
Religious education is compulsory for all pupils registered in maintained schools up to the age of 18. Maintained schools must follow their locally agreed syllabus. Maintained schools must also provide a daily act of collective worship that should be broadly Christian, unless the school has been granted a determination to conduct collective worship of another faith.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:

What about all the "capitulation" that has been done for Christians through the years?? This is coming from a "Christian" too.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
British schools drop Holocaust from history lessons so as not to offend Muslims - National Libertarian | Examiner.com

Dropping teaching the reality that the holocaust happened?

Really?

Sorry, it DID happen. If it offends, then offend away.

This is an outrage.
Considering the antipathy that exists between the muslims and the jews, I would think that the muslims would be *anything* but offended by learning about the holocaust. Quite the opposite, actually.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:

The trend is to make certain that disruptive influences in the classroom are kept to a minimum. I'd say that a racist outburst would be fairly 'disruptive', wouldn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality