Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,126,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
With regards to marriage, I find it funny how there is so much social pressure in the Christian community to keep divorces from happening. If God is working His magical powers to bring together all 3.5 billion men and 3.5 billion women into perfectly compatible couples, then why do you need any social pressure at all? You'd think that marriages would be coming together and staying together organically. But no, Christians actually have a higher divorce rate than secularists.
Wow....you're just working it today, aren't you? Not very tolerant and nice of you.

The Bible never suggests that marriage is easy, or that there is any kind of magic that makes a husband love his wife and vice versa. Fact is....we are all sinful human beings....doing what sinful human beings do. We are selfish. That's why the divorce rate is 50% or higher. Even among Christians. Nothing in the Bible says that Christians are magically cured of that.
Quote:
Here's a dose of reality: There are very few pairs of men and women in the world who are able to live happily ever after with each other. No amount of marriage counseling, no amount of complexity in a dating site algorithm -- nothing! -- will change that.
How do you know that? Are you just blowing smoke again? Or is that your opinion? My experience says otherwise. If a couple WANTS to be married and they WANT to be happy...they will.

My wife and I are approaching 20 happy years. My parents lived happily for 28 years before my mom died. My in-laws were married 52 years before my MIL died. I just did a funeral for a man a few months back that was happily married for 65 years before he died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:12 PM

19,802 posts, read 13,344,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My experience says otherwise. If a couple WANTS to be married and they WANT to be happy...they will.

My wife and I are approaching 20 happy years. My parents lived happily for 28 years before my mom died. My in-laws were married 52 years before my MIL died. I just did a funeral for a man a few months back that was happily married for 65 years before he died.
I know people who are livin' the dream too, in and out of the church.

I also can tell you that wanting to be happily married doesn't mean you're going to be. It tends to be true if both parties want to be -- truly want to be -- but even then it's no guarantee.

That divorce rates are no different for Christians, even conservative ones, suggests that god puts no special blessing on his favorite institution, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality