Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. Authority regarding the specifics of morality based on His perfect adherence to them and our purpose . . . agape love for life . . . NOT authority as in the dictator of them.
I don't disagree but Sam Harris' efforts to objectively establish the specifics using science are the way we can get the specifics that I believe will mirror Christ's.
Really? Do you really think Christ was perfectly moral? Not from what I've read...In any case human morality predates Christianity by many thousands of years and it seems that it worked pretty well.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That make no sense at all.
That's fundamentalist speak for "You don't believe what I believe so you are not a nice person." They're convinced no one can be a loving, good, warm human being if they aren't a fundamentalist. (They don't get out much.)

Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
What if shaking your fist at God doesn't help come judgment day ?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What if your judgement day is facing a large mirror - with no place to hide?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's not. There is no such thing as morality among the animal kingdom...why would you expect science to explain it in humans?
So what you are saying is that elephants don't u their dead and deer don't love their fawns?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You seem to think that God must adhere to the same rules as humans. Thus, you probably hated your parents when they didn't live by the same rules they gave you.
Another problem for the God morality crowd.

If those rules are part of his nature, which is what you believe, then how does an entity such as God, who is ontologically separate from us, have moral values that have to do with our existence as ontologically separate creatures?

Why does God have sexual morals as part of his nature - does he have sex? Why does he value not raping - why would he even need such a value?

Why does God have morals regarding murder and theft - is going murder another God. Why would he even have value not to steal if all is his?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM

650 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Another problem for the God morality crowd.

If those rules are part of his nature, which is what you believe, then how does an entity such as God, who is ontologically separate from us, have moral values that have to do with our existence as ontologically separate creatures?

Why does God have sexual morals as part of his nature - does he have sex? Why does he value not raping - why would he even need such a value?

Why does God have morals regarding murder and theft - is going murder another God. Why would he even have value not to steal if all is his?

how could the rules which are relative to biological reasoning and survival issues ( good vrs bad *energy theft*

be a conditional thing ( relative) on something with The Influence ( whatever) in cause or consequence of the universe ?

answer me that one ? ( post #284 still no answer in that crucial dialog and notice in, the assumption.

Last edited by alexcanter; 12-05-2013 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What god, and what judgment day...Oh, you must mean that 2000 year old myth, right?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM

650 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No. Authority regarding the specifics of morality based on His perfect adherence to them and our purpose . . . agape love for life . . . NOT authority as in the dictator of them.
I don't disagree but Sam Harris' efforts to objectively establish the specifics using science are the way we can get the specifics that I believe will mirror Christ's.
just a model apsotle

Last edited by alexcanter; 12-05-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
how could the rules which are relative to biological reasoning and survival issues ( good vrs bad *energy theft*

be a conditional thing ( relative) on something with The Influence ( whatever) in cause or consequence of the universe ?

answer me that one ? ( post #284 still no answer in that crucial dialog and notice in, the assumption.
Honestly, I am having a hard time understanding what you mean and I am not sure why your writing style is not translating - I just don't know what you are getting at - Sorry! If someone else understands - let me know and I will try to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality