Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
When I first heard of L Ron Hubbard in the early 1950s he was touting dianetics, which as a young teenager actually made sense to me. Not much later when it evolved into Scientology, I saw that as a Parody/Satire of Christianity. Later I began think of it as a religion for high profile atheists that were afraid to offend the media by fully coming out of the closet.

Now 50+ years later, I still think I was right. It is basically a religion for Atheists who are afraid to publicly admit they are Atheists.
You could be right about that, although much the same could be said of Buddhism. Neither religion has a god on offer, which leads to some confusion about whether they are really, in the conventional sense, a religion or just a self-help methodology. Some Buddhists take vows and dress in funny robes and have liturgies and I suppose some Scientologists have equivalent things they do, that make Scientology seem more religious.

Perhaps it could be said that Buddhism and Scientology, while very different in the actual worldview and structure they promulgate, do have this in common: you don't have to believe in god(s) (though you can, if you want, it's really a matter of indifference) and you get a prefabricated way of approaching life and dealing with your issues.

Oddly, Buddhism and Scientology do both make unverifiable claims about exalted beings (boddhisattvas for the Buddhists, narratives about galactic emperors for the Scientologists). In both cases, I don't see what these legends add to the system and I see a lot that they do to undermine it. But that's just me. I think some people need some kind of esoteric, "insider's" knowledge that is veiled to the uninitiated, or they don't feel special enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
I remember them years ago when they used to sit at a card table outside of our local K-Mart. They had two tin cans with wires soldered to them that were hooked to some kind of meter. You would hold one can in each hand and the meter told you how bad off you were, and how much you needed their service to "clear" you.

I always just ignored them, but I noticed the foreign Jesus people in the white suits who were begging at the other door were afraid of them.

If I had known that they had aliens and a trillion year history, I might have tried the can meter.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Celebrities are not attracted to Scientology. There are a few who have been in a looooog time and have invested too much time and money to admit to being wrong now. Most of them are not highly educated and joined back when it was trendy or just wear the label because their parents did. But Scientology tries to get wannabes by offering courses on breaking into the biz and such.
Quote:
My friend goes to the church thats based in L.A. and has invited me.....
I think it'd be pretty intriguing, lol
Your friend doesn't go to church, he attends classes or fundraisers, everything costs money. And you won't see anyone famous if you go there but I like you to go anyway and report back

There aren't that many Scientologists left in the world. Very very few. The whole thing will probably collapse in my lifetime.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-30-2014 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-05-2014, 04:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Hubbard's great grandson has been very vocal about how corrupt this organization is.

I would never call Scientology a religion. Scientology is a scam. I've read some very disturbing things about how they treat the children of the members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciupsqkLLkQ

Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. What does it have to offer that traditional religions in the U.S. don't?
A lot of blackmail evidence.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
A huge arsenal, complete with paramilitary style "Security forces." Oh and a Navy.

Sea Org - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2014, 06:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Scientology is not even considered a religion in any other country but the US

Old 11-10-2014, 06:29 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Quote:
I wonder why celebrities are attracted to Scientology. What does it have to offer that traditional religions in the U.S. don't?
I think they worship the money and the glory of materialism. Whenever you look at their brochures, they keep showing off their beautiful buildings and being proud of them.

They use dishonest ways to gain as much money as possible. They have lawsuits against them, and use intimidation techniques to keep people under control.

And there is something really creepy going on. I went to a worship service once (to see what it was about) and they put this tape on...instead of preaching... some bunch of nonsense repeating over and over again. (like stamp your feet and be happy that you can see the walls or something, I can't remember). But this was the weirdest dumb thing I ever saw. I was expecting the lady in charge to apologize for the stupidity of the service. But she seemed to be taken by it and asked me wasn't it wonderful. Like someone did something to her brain and she didn't hear the same thing I did. Maybe they are hypnotized to control them or something.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
It has a 5'1" "Chairman of the Board" who is "saluted" by its members.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:53 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Scientology has a founder with a huge catalog of acknowledged fictional works. That fact does tend to make the whole of Scientology vastly less believable than other religions. And the very Sci-Fi way that L Ron Hubbard's religious texts read is rather telling as well. When somebody was in the business of inventing make-believe stuff for a living before they became some sort of enlightened prophet figure, it doesn't seem terribly credible.

Is there any other founder of a religious movement with the same sort of background? Somebody who made a lot of money selling fictional books, movies, comic books or whatever who then founded a very Sci-Fi sounding religion they claim is true and not fictional?? I don't know of anybody else who did that, but I can't claim to know about every religion ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality