Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No, nothing remotely like the entertainment industry Mike. While I really enjoy my work, it can be pretty serious heavy going stuff everyday, so I just enjoy looking for the silly cheeky side of things and letting my mind make random connections with all sorts of bits of information.
If you don't mind being a little irreverent with biblical stories, have a go!
That is a neat suggestion and could be done in honor of the Rifleman's absence (I do miss his wit) . . . but you sell yourself short, Jay. It takes a real talent to do it . . . and that is not very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Soooooo...it's not ok to discuss spiritual and religious beliefs here unless it ridicules the bible. Hmmm.
It is okay. What would you like to discuss? In this case the OP transcended the Bible, offering speculation of a destroyed first earth which isn't found in that book. Some of us have been providing a tongue in cheek imaginary history of that second earth, using the Bible as a general guide.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
The double creation theory is from Genesis Chapter One and Genesis Two. There seems to some to be two creations detailed that are not exactly the same time line in these two chapters. Or Chapter two could be a detailed after account of Chapter One. The key verse is 2:4 "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens," which some believe is a span of time.

Thus from this some Theologians have postulated that there is an amount of time between these two accounts of creation. From this amount of time have come ideas of two creations. But there is no scriptural evidence of what exactly happened during this time span. There are no Theologians that give any definite answers for that time gap. Not all Pastors and Priest of Christianity agree with this time space and two creations but many learned theologians do.

There, the first serious actual answer to the OP's question.

For those of us who believe this, it is our religion and our beliefs.

For those of you who do not believe this, it is not your religion nor beliefs.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
The double creation theory is from Genesis Chapter One and Genesis Two. There seems to some to be two creations detailed that are not exactly the same time line in these two chapters. Or Chapter two could be a detailed after account of Chapter One. The key verse is 2:4 "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens," which some believe is a span of time.

Thus from this some Theologians have postulated that there is an amount of time between these two accounts of creation. From this amount of time have come ideas of two creations. But there is no scriptural evidence of what exactly happened during this time span. There are no Theologians that give any definite answers for that time gap. Not all Pastors and Priest of Christianity agree with this time space and two creations but many learned theologians do.

There, the first serious actual answer to the OP's question.

For those of us who believe this, it is our religion and our beliefs.

For those of you who do not believe this, it is not your religion nor beliefs.
Pretty thin ice, isn't it? We are speaking of a book which presents an allegory for the creation of the world which modern science has demonstrated isn't possible as a reality. Now we are taking that same allegorical work and making a huge interpretative leap on the basis of a specific passage.

So...in sum we have a book which isn't true in the first place when it is presenting unambiguous assertions, and we are taking an extracted possible conclusion from an ambiguous assertion.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Pretty thin ice, isn't it? We are speaking of a book which presents an allegory for the creation of the world which modern science has demonstrated isn't possible as a reality. Now we are taking that same allegorical work and making a huge interpretative leap on the basis of a specific passage.

So...in sum we have a book which isn't true in the first place when it is presenting unambiguous assertions, and we are taking an extracted possible conclusion from an ambiguous assertion.
For those of us who do believe it is our religion. I guess you could say that about any religion. And if that is the case why bother posting in the Religion and Spirituality forum other than to be disrespectful. We believe what we want to believe. Sorry if you don't understand that.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
For those of us who do believe it is our religion. I guess you could say that about any religion. And if that is the case why bother posting in the Religion and Spirituality forum other than to be disrespectful. We believe what we want to believe. Sorry if you don't understand that.
There is a distinction between disagreement and disrespect. I do not see where any of us have been provided with any sort of credible reason to suspect that there was an Earth 1.0 which was destroyed. If that constitutes disrespect to you, then the problem is your sense of entitlement. You don't seem to understand that this forum is open for all points of view on the subject, it was not meant to be simply a celebration of religion or spirituality.

I think that you want the Christian forum, it is designed to be more restrictive, which seems to be your goal.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Potifar was the fellow who wound up owning Joseph after his brothers sold him into slavery. Joseph became a high ranking household slave but then got tossed in jail after Mrs. Potifar tried to seduce Joseph, was rejected, and took out her wrath on Joseph by accusing him of raping her. Biblical soap opera stuff.
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
... from AbraHam.

AbraHam was first called Abram but his father owned a pig called Ham who was descended from Noah's original pig Ham. Abram was an obedient god-fearing boy so tried to practice multiplication behind the tents with Ham when he was a boy to make sure he got it right. That's how he got the nickname AbraHam. His father was embarrassed by Abram's behavior, cursed Ham yet again, and sold all the pigs off to a neighboring tribe and forever banned anyone from ever touching pigs - even footballs made of pig skin.

The neighboring tribe went on to invent the original Spam in Can and called themselves Canaanites.

None of the women in AbraHam's tribe wanted to marry him because of his peculiar habits, so he convinced his sister Sarah to marry him by offering to buy her a slave called Hagar.

Now many years passed and AbraHam and Sarah still hadn't had any children. AbraHam was almost 100 and Sarah wasn't much younger. Sarah finally asked her slave Hagar to try to multiply with AbraHam so he could have a son. After going in to AbraHam's tent one night, Hagar came out laughing uproariously. Sarah asked what her what was so funny and Hagar whispered something in her ear. Sarah blushed and said Hagar! You're Horrible! That's not funny! How was I to know?"

AbraHam prayed to God to ask for a child, wondering why he had not been blessed with children like his nephew who had Lots of kids- hence why he was called Lots. Lots had moved with his family to a little village called Sodadam (named after Adam who had become a sod farmer after being chucked out of Eden after not being able to pay the Original Singe debt).

God looked down at AbraHam and said patiently. "Son, you gotta go 4th and multiply, not 5th. She's a woman, not Ham. Go 4th and you'll be able to multiply with Sarah and Hagar and all your other concubines and sex slaves too and become the Righteous Father of my chosen people and show future generations what traditional marriage and family values are. Just try to buy the good looking slaves and don't beat them too hard okay?"

Sarah gave birth to Abraham's first son and called him Isaac and Hagar gave birth to Ishmael, and all his concubines and slaves gave birth one after the other until he had his own tribe of kids.

Then one day the voice of God boomed out. "AbraHam! I need a donation!"

AbraHam frantically looked around for a goat to sacrifice but all his kids had eaten them all at the local kebab tent, so he grabbed the first virgin he could find. It happened to be his son Isaac, but AbraHam was half blind (he was over a 100 yrs old after all) and didn't notice. Isaac had always been a bit girly anyway. So he laid him out on an altar ready to have his throat cut with a sharpened rock for a virgin sacrifice, but God boomed out again:

"'Nu uh...

Abraham was hard of hearing (well he was well over a 100 by that time) and asked in a quavering voice "Skin?"

God said "Yup! I want 4 skins"

Abraham went white as he looked at the sharpened rock in his hand then down at his groin. "Okay Lord. Have it Your way" he whispered under his breath. He lifted his robe and screamed "Your Way!" as he sliced off the tip of his willy. He hobbled around yelling "Your Way!" as he lifted the robes of all the males in his tribe and sliced off the tips of all their willies too.

Abraham carried all the foreskins to the stone altar and neatly laid them out. But Hagar had been using the altar the day before to make honeyed figs, so they they quickly became covered in ants.

God looked down at all the foreskins and said "What the..??? I asked for 4 skins of WINE as a donation! And you give me foreskins covered in ants?"

Abraham looked dazed and confused and turned to Sarah whispering "What's that He said?"

Sarah (who was also well over a 100 and half deaf) said "Not sure honey. Something about a whiny nation, foreskins, and a covenant???"....
This stuff is REALLY great.
You've got this whole board cracking up Jay!

I'm sure you are a busy girl Jay...and stuff like this takes time to put together...but I (I'm sure, "we") would really like more of it if you have time.
THANX!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This stuff is REALLY great.
You've got this whole board cracking up Jay!
I'm sure you are a busy girl Jay...and stuff like this takes time to put together...but I (I'm sure, "we") would really like more of it if you have time.
THANX!
It is "we" because you can certainly add my name to the request, Gldn!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
There is a distinction between disagreement and disrespect. I do not see where any of us have been provided with any sort of credible reason to suspect that there was an Earth 1.0 which was destroyed. If that constitutes disrespect to you, then the problem is your sense of entitlement. You don't seem to understand that this forum is open for all points of view on the subject, it was not meant to be simply a celebration of religion or spirituality.

I think that you want the Christian forum, it is designed to be more restrictive, which seems to be your goal.
I disagree, the OP asked a theological question of the faith that is a quite well known discussion and all he was answered with was derision and disrespect. I supplied the answer supplied by the faith. To tell someone of faith to not have faith in their faith is ludicrous. This whole thread, aside from the OP, is disrespect, making fun of the very foundation of the faith.

There was no mention in the OP's post that the answer he was looking for was to be from point of scientific explanations. This is a Spiritual and Religion forum which includes faith.

The subject of faith is not verifiable by "credible reason". We rely on Hebrews 1:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." So we of faith will never be swayed by science or the lack thereof. What we believe will always be answered with text from what we believe. This only makes sense, or we will not be those of faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality