Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any one else has met people that call themselves "atheists". Do they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to you? There are plenty of people who call themselves "Christians" that are unhappy and miserable too but they are not really yet Christian in heart and have a little ways to go.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
It's just you.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering if any one else has met people that call themselves "atheists". Do they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to you? There are plenty of people who call themselves "Christians" that are unhappy and miserable too but they are not really yet Christian in heart and have a little ways to go.
I've known quite a few atheists and non-religious folk that are quite happy with their godless lives. Being a Christian is not about having purpose or happiness. That often comes with it, but it's not what Jesus died on the cross for.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering if any one else has met people that call themselves "atheists". Do they seem like genuine and sincerely honest people to you?
Wow. The single most dishonest business I ever personally dealt with had bible verses on huge banners on the walls, and the employees had no problem standing right under those banners and lying through their teeth to the customers. The biggest frauds I ever met were all pretty quick to quote the bible.

I don't call myself an atheist because it really is not anyone else's business. My deeply held belief that what goes around, comes around, and that everything is connected, those things keep me genuine and sincerely honest. I don't need the threat of fire and brimstone to behave, and if you do, I wonder about your innate moral sense. So I'd say it is just you.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Being a Christian is not about having purpose or happiness.
Sure it is.

If you don't want to have a purpose in life or be happy you are free to do that. You can be as unhappy as you want to be. But you speak for yourself. You certainly do not speak for the MANY happy Christians who live lives filled with purpose and service. And happy dances.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sure it is!
Sorry....I'm just not into the "Purpose-Driven" thing. I see nothing in scripture that tells me that if we are Christians we will be happy and have a purpose.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Sorry....I'm just not into the "Purpose-Driven" thing. I see nothing in scripture that tells me that if we are Christians we will be happy and have a purpose.
Yet you always rail against evolution and claim instead that a god created the universe for a purpose.

Anyhow, no to the OP. I've never met an atheist (surprise! I'm not one) who is any more or less sincere, honest or "moral" than a Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
It's just you, I'm pretty happy, ethical and as real as you've probably ever seen. I think it's odd that you'd view an atheist as a phony instead of a Theist. I mean, what do we have to misrepresent? Nothing would be your answer. I think Theist are the ones using phony facts to convince others that their way is the best, (or that they only have a little bit to go) even when they aren't representing their savior very well because he will save their ass if they don't succeed so why does it matter.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
I agree actually, from what I've studied it wasn't about that. It was about trust in paid obey-ment. You obey, I will will grant you eternal life. You don't, I won't. I think all the warm fuzzy stuff has been added on as we've evolved to realize the former was really dominating and dictator like. It happens.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
I'd definitely say it's just you. First of all, if 9% percent of the world is unreligious, then you are generalizing a common trait that hundreds of millions of people share (being miserable). No offends, but doing so is not reasonable and quite absurd. From my experience I've encountered miserable people both christian and atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality