Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I know the atheists outlook on these books, but how do you as a Christian or Jew or Muslim or Baha'i see these other books. Why do you hold one in higher regards than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default How do you see the NT, Koran, Torah, Talmud, Baha'i book...

As parts of a more extensive accumulation (Sumerian, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Hindu, Buddhist, Native American Oral traditions, Greek and Roman Myths, Legends, etc., etc.) of "spiritual fossil evidence" of the evolution of our species spiritual understanding. I have to admit I chose the one that epitomizes the highest level of spiritual understanding as I see it and the person whose life, teachings and death embodied it to the greatest degree . . . Jesus the Christ.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
They explain how each group relates to the Divine within the cultural context of each group.

As a Jew, the Torah is the path I live by and it explains our relationship with God. Books from other religions can tell me how those groups understand God, but they have no place in my worship or understanding.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,668,570 times
the Torah , Psalms and the Gospel are from Allah,
and have been changed been by human and a any one can not accept a book contains the words of man to be a holy book
and even if they have no change by human , Allah send the final messenger and the final book to all worlds
and commands us to follow his final messenger The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him and his final book The Quran.

The Quran is the only holy book that has the exact saying of Allah without changing or adding or removing even one letter.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
The Torah, Psalms, Gospels, Quran, and Superman have inspired a lot of people. That's good. No harm done as long as they are not taken too seriously.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Ok, I think I know the atheists outlook on these books, but how do you as a Christian or Jew or Muslim or Baha'i see these other books. Why do you hold one in higher regards than the other?
The New Testament (Bible) is inspired by God. The apostle Paul coined the phrase "God-breathed".

The rest? They are religious texts written by men. They're imperfect.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Interesting!!! Thanks for the replies.

So did I get this right?

Mystic believes in that the NT, specifically the gospels, (what about Paul's additions Mystic?) serves as the best example, or metaphor, for how we are to attain spiritual understanding.

JB says that the Torah is best for him because he is a Jew. But what is it about being a Jew that makes the Torah more applicable? The culture or the genetics?

Truth teller states the Quran because it is not written by humans. Why is it not written by humans Truth teller? No contradictions?

Hiker says take all of them with a grain of salt?

And Vizio is claims the NT is divine and inspired. What about the OT?

Vizio and truth teller are both claiming that their book is God sent while the other one is not. How are we supposed to reconcile this?

Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The New Testament (Bible) is inspired by God. The apostle Paul coined the phrase "God-breathed".

Old 12-12-2013, 03:54 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The New Testament is the New Covenant and does NOT contain the OT as you imply by your inclusion of the Bible as the New Testament, Vizio. The OT told us of Christ,how to identify Him, what He would do, and how to validate Him through prophesy. It is also USEFUL (profitable) for instruction . . . but NOT controlling or inerrant or infallible or God's word. Christ is God's Living Word, period . . . and the New Covenant He ushered in replaced the old.
Quote:
ALL words "written in ink" are imperfect and fallible . . . that is why we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" under the New Covenant.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
JB says that the Torah is best for him because he is a Jew. But what is it about being a Jew that makes the Torah more applicable? The culture or the genetics?
Well, since I'm a convert to Judaism, it certainly isn't genetics.

It's often hard to explain being Jewish to people; sure, it's a religion, but it's also a culture and a people as well. But, to answer the question, being Jewish is what makes the Torah more applicable; it holds our history, our culture, our rituals and prayers, and details the relationship our people have with our Creator. Whether one is born a Jew or chooses to to become Jewish later in life, we are bound to Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality