Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Christianity is true based on Jesus His life and the things He taught his death and resurrection alone .
not because of the scriptures alone but because He is real and interact in my life day to day, via the Holy spirit He provided for that purpouse .
God is not accountable to man ,rather man is accountable to God , because He is God, and man is not equal to him at all.
A great many folks have come to God in desperation, having been atheist /agnostic, decided to be honest, in stead of playing some religious games seeking excuses.
Many of these have come to life threatening issues before making the decision .
NO one had to push me , I saw the result of lives ignoring God till the last second, and the subsequent changes they acquired after word.
it does not take a rocket scientist to see the damage in a persons life with out God ,and conversely the blessings one receives because of their choosing to be honest with God .
I figured that out at age 7 and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I know God's blessings probably more than most folks with all the times I am looked out for and guided through problems .
I think I've seen more healing and miracles than most preachers. Yet it baffles me that God would take a serious jerk and turn his life around. Just because he decided to get real with God .
Always amazing.
The bolded statement simply does not mesh with the teachings of Jesus who said in Matt. 5:44-45
(New International Version)

Quote:
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
I've seen miracles worked in the lives of non-believers. I've seen tremendous tragedy occur in the lives of believers. Faith in God is not about an easier life--it is about understanding your own life in relationship to others. And if that faith cannot lead you to love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you, then you are not a son of the Father. And whether or not you are a son of God, your life will still see both sun and rain, both mountain and valley, both blessings and curses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
I believe Christianity is a demonstration in using knowledge of the spirit, eternal compassion, and a lot of different miracles to hypnotize people into ignoring open and unrepentant evil that takes place in the OT, and to get these blind followers to enable, empower and worship Satan, who is YHWH- the immoral God of terrorism.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 12-28-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM

29 posts, read 26,734 times
Christianity is true a belief system built by god and man along with the others islam and buddhism. All others are watered down variations of these three.all of what is written in christianity is not true like god is holy and without fault or blemish this we all know is lie. If god decides to complete his revelations then and only then will we know for sure if he was lieing about heaven and hell.i doubt very seriously if that will ever happen because god likes to build and assist belief systems and leave us wandering waiting on a day that will never come.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times
Are you asking for our opinions, or a consensus view?

If you want my personal opinion: as a former atheist who has studied religious belief systems as diverse as Islam and the various forms of ancient eastern mysticism, I would assert that it is true, based upon the following premises as a cumulative case:

1. Several extraordinary properties of Christian scripture that I did not find in other mystical texts, such as typologies, parallelism, heptadic structures, elaborate thematic cross-referencing from Old Testament to New.

These are properties that I believe serve as a fingerprint of the transcendental -- an interesting view, given that, barely more than a decade ago, I regarded the Bible to be stuffy Bronze Age mythological nonsense full of errors and contradictions.

2. My personal conversion experience, during which:

I was inspired with ideas that I only later recognised to be well-established concepts in philosophy; such as parsimony, Occamian priority, classical foundationalism and a diversity of contemporary epistemological ideas that expose the weaknesses of the naturalistic world view. This is despite the fact that I had no formal academic philosophical input whatsoever to establish these ideas.

I took on board a system of moral beliefs and tendencies that shared unexplainable commonality with those of other biblical Christians. This is despite the fact that I had little to no formal theological input to guide my moral principles to be this way, and I had no social exposure to biblical Christians, given that I lived in a largely atheist community.

3. The primacy of Israel in geopolitics, despite (as far as I can tell) the relative unimportance of the country in strategic or economic terms. Related to this, the ubiquitous hatred directed against the Jewish people that is disproportionate to their crimes.

4. Personal experience of Jesus Christ in my life, which cannot be explained as episodes of natural coincidence or formal thought disorder.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
what is the general belief regarding this?
Christianity is true to Christians...but false to non-Christians.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Christianity is true to Christians...but false to non-Christians.
Exactly the same way that Santa Claus is true to children, but false to adults.

Got to believe in whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Your comment reminded me of this: The Santa Syndrome

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
Christianity is as true as evolution.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

There is quite a myriad of beliefs purporting an afterlife.
If you think they are all childish to believe that, it's "your call".

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
There is quite a myriad of beliefs purporting an afterlife.
If you think they are all childish to believe that, it's "your call".
I agree, though with all due respect, I was guilty of the same kind of belief as an atheist, and can understand why it is they think this way.

At the root of this tendency is a (now outdated) belief system referred to as Verificationism, the influence of which filtered down to the lower rungs of academia in the 1950s and 1960s. You can still find it persisting today in popular-level claims such as "one should only believe what is verifiable through physical evidence", "science is the only way to know", or "anything not verifiable or falsifiable through the senses is meaningless".

Though Verificationism collapsed in the 1960s, and now regarded with some embarrassment by its former proponents, it would lend support to some of the key secular beliefs that are still promulgated today such as moral antirealism, and the conflation of all things "mystical" under the banner of meaninglessness. Under this mentality, the concept of Santa Claus is just as meaningless as the concept of the deity of Christ, despite the ontological differences between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality