Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The Church of England is still a state church and that why the government can decide on matters regarding the church. Anyway I believe what can happen over in the UK can follow of what happened in Denmark recently where:
The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.
Denmark's church minister, Manu Sareen, called the vote "historic".
"I think it's very important to give all members of the church the possibility to get married. Today, it's only heterosexual couples."
Under the law, individual priests can refuse to carry out the ceremony, but the local bishop must arrange a replacement for their church.Gay Danish couples win right to marry in church - Telegraph
What a travesty!! Denmark has effectively mandated that every religion must officially sanction something that they likely consider morally reprehensible. That isn't progress, that's the state force-feeding it's ideals on others.

If a gay couple wants to get married and they can find a church that is willing to marry them then fine and good. But it is very troubling when any government starts telling religions what to do, how they can do it and rewriting the church's entire moral ideology.

This is a throwback to the days of the USSR treating the Russian Orthodox Church as their own personal puppet, allowing them to more effectively manipulate believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What a travesty!! Denmark has effectively mandated that every religion must officially sanction something that they likely consider morally reprehensible. That isn't progress, that's the state force-feeding it's ideals on others.

If a gay couple wants to get married and they can find a church that is willing to marry them then fine and good. But it is very troubling when any government starts telling religions what to do, how they can do it and rewriting the church's entire moral ideology.

This is a throwback to the days of the USSR treating the Russian Orthodox Church as their own personal puppet, allowing them to more effectively manipulate believers.
Not according to the Copenhagen post. The new law only applies to the Church of Denmark which is state funded.
Gay church marriages in Denmark

Quote:
Denmark's Parliament has approved a law allowing same-sex couples to have church weddings in the state-controlled Lutheran Church. The law allows individual ministers to refuse to perform the ceremonies, but they cannot refuse to have the celebration in their church buildings.
Denmark legislates same-sex Church marriages

The moral of the story. Keep the church out of government, and the government out of church.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
But it is very troubling when any government starts telling religions what to do, how they can do it and rewriting the church's entire moral ideology.
What's even more troubling is when religion starts telling governments what to do.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 AM

670 posts, read 815,365 times
Religous organizations have the right to refuse to marry people,
People should not be allowed to sue them for expressing their freedom of religion.

They should find a church that agrees with gay marriage.

I feel gay marriage should be legalized for all states.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
People should not be allowed to sue them for expressing their freedom of religion.

They should find a church that agrees with gay marriage.

I feel gay marriage should be legalized for all states.
That's how it works in the US, but some countries have state churches that receive funding from the government. In those places the state has the right to tell state churches what they must do.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I really sincerely want the government to prevent religions from interfering with my life.

In return, I am absolutely willing to return the favor and not allow governments to interfere with someone else's religion (with some serious exceptions).

The article is from Britain. Their government and religion is different from that in the USA, and I believe it is none of my business what The Church of England does about gay marriage.

However, surely, there are churches in the UK that would perform a religious ceremony for this couple?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM

670 posts, read 815,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That's how it works in the US, but some countries have state churches that receive funding from the government. In those places the state has the right to tell state churches what they must do.
I don't like Theocracies I feel it is an immoral and unethical form of government, oppression at its most evil.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The Church of England is still a state church and that why the government can decide on matters regarding the church. Anyway I believe what can happen over in the UK can follow of what happened in Denmark recently where:
The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.
Denmark's church minister, Manu Sareen, called the vote "historic".
"I think it's very important to give all members of the church the possibility to get married. Today, it's only heterosexual couples."
Under the law, individual priests can refuse to carry out the ceremony, but the local bishop must arrange a replacement for their church.Gay Danish couples win right to marry in church - Telegraph
If the Church is part of the government, these types of challenges are going to happen. It's different from countries like the US where the Church is a private institution.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
In the United States, yes. This thread is referring to England where the Church is part of the government. The Government, therefore has power over the church and its rules.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I don't like Theocracies I feel it is an immoral and unethical form of government, oppression at its most evil.
England isn't a theocracy, it's part of the Constitutional Monarchy of the United Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality