Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,314,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
After all...our government officials SAID SO, and WROTE IT INTO LAW!
It's not a law, it's a non-binding resolution.

And Congress has no business violating their own laws by enacting such a stupid resolution. The Constitution expressly forbids this kind of overt sactioning of a specific religion - but as I've said before, that thin wall between freedom and theocratic fascism continues to get thinner every time the clock ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,363,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
As a believing Christian, I'm afraid to ask, but OTOH, I have a feeling it would be interesting to see your reaction to this quote:

"The Bible is a RELIABLE COLLECTION of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Their REPORT is of SUPERNATURAL EVENTS which took place as FULFILLMENT of SPECIFIC PROPHECIES and declare that their record is divine in nature and not human in origin.”
Not sure what "reaction" you were hoping for?

My first reaction was to note that you did not cite the source of the quote. Common decorum would dictate that when quoting someone, you give the source.

My second reaction is that while I think using caps to emphasis a word in a sentence.... and I do it a LOT..... it can be overused like any linguistic tool. Normally when I see capitals abused in the fashion it has been above I know I am dealing with the opinion of a fantastically pious and fanatical theist. The kind of person who thinks shouting something at you makes it more true.

As to my reaction to the content of the quote? I see it simply as an opinion, expressed badly, written worse, and coming to us as an entirely unsubstantiated set of assertions.

Was this the reaction you were hoping for at all?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,651,516 times
Quote:
Well my pastor posted it on FB and I just don't want to be a sheep and believe everythign he says. I do want to have faith in God and believe what I'm supposed to believe about Him to please Him. So if it makes Him happy for me to believe His word is true, then I guess I believe it's true. I know that sounds like a lame answer.
It's an honest one.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,638,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It's not a law, it's a non-binding resolution.

And Congress has no business violating their own laws by enacting such a stupid resolution. The Constitution expressly forbids this kind of overt sactioning of a specific religion - but as I've said before, that thin wall between freedom and theocratic fascism continues to get thinner every time the clock ticks.
No Shirina...it really is a Law. I know it would seem like it could not be...but it is.

How Our Laws are Made - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Year of the Bible, Public Law 97-280

Year of the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see...I originally put that up early this year.
To show how using "Laws" can't ever be a basis to argue from.
"Legality" can never determine what is "right", or "fair", or "just". Lots of horrible, evil things have been given legal sanction in this world in general, and the U.S. specifically.
That is why I can't stand people trotting out The Constitution...and using the laws it created as some kind of arbiter as to what is "the right and just thing to do".

So...according to U.S. Law...The Bible goes way beyond a "reliable collection of historical documents" as the OP presents and asks.
In fact, it has been designated by U.S.Public Law 97-280 to be "the Word of God" and "the rock on which our Republic rests". That law even provides for a legal recognition of "our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures".

Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,651,516 times
Goldenrule, you contradict yourself again and again. You began by claiming that laws can be changed, the Constitution can be changed (you had in mind the bit about separation of church and state). But you then wave laws about enacted by presidents who misused the law to push their personal religious beliefs, or were used themselves to do so.

Arguably those laws themselves are unconstitutional. maybe they found a way around it. That is not the point. They were put into law and thus became laws. They had legal force, not because they were right or even constitutional, but because they had been passed into law.

Thus, to use your own original argument, if they are bad laws, or unconstitutional, or if we just get to feel that we don't like them, they can be changed and thrown out.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-19-2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,314,326 times
Why am I not surprised that Reagan and his Republican congress were the ones to dream up something so ridiculously illegal. Reagan essentially set up a state religion with that claptrap. That's even worse than when congress reaffirmed our national motto as "In God we trust."

Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM

650 posts, read 513,413 times
boy when atheists come out of the closet they sure have a time looking around !

Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM

7,239 posts, read 7,055,315 times
Reminds me of something that happened in college.

I took an intro religion course just to get a humanities credit. It wasn't my first choice but it fit into my schedule. Being an atheist I did not have high hopes of enjoying the class.

First day, our professor, who was also a minister, stood in front of the class holding a bible and said something like this (not exact words- this was 20 years ago!):

"This is the bible. It is the religious texts of the Christian faith. It was written by men. It did not fall out of the sky as is. This class is not bible study - you can get that on Sunday at your church. This class is about examining the bible as a historical document that had a major impact on the world."

Right then I knew it would be a good class.

I ended up with a B as I recall.

I also recall several students dropped the class after that day.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,369,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
boy when atheists come out of the closet they sure have a time looking around for the light switch!
They don't need to because atheists see there is bright daylight streaming in through the windows. Which religious zealots might realise if they stopped keeping their eyes squeezed tightly shut.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,887,758 times
Quote:
I do want to have faith in God and believe what I'm supposed to believe about Him to please Him.
You have made your goal very clear.

Unfortunately, there is no one in the world who can help you achieve it. You will have to do it for yourself.

Sure, there are a lot of well-meaning and sincere people who believe in gods and a lot of them think they know what their gods want them to do. You might be able to learn from them, but your decisions will have to be yours and yours alone.

Go to Youtube and find some old Billy Graham sermons. That might be a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality