Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:55 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times

Advertisements

Buddha's Tibetan Book Of The Dead has the same eternal compassion as YHWH's Bible. It's up to the user to decide which one is more pure. Which one uses murder to convey it, and which one uses mythology to explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Buddha's Tibetan Book Of The Dead has the same eternal compassion as YHWH's Bible. It's up to the user to decide which one is more pure. Which one uses murder to convey it, and which one uses mythology to explain it.
If you can point to Buddha exhibiting the same compassion as Christ under the same horrendous negative circumstances as Christ . . . you might have a leg to stand on. Otherwise . . . no sale! Christ rules!

Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 AM

650 posts, read 513,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you can point to Buddha exhibiting the same compassion as Christ under the same horrendous negative circumstances as Christ . . . you might have a leg to stand on. Otherwise . . . no sale! Christ rules!

good point

Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:

Ah! So now I know your beliefs. Yes, for me, how a book teaches compassion is important but it is not the most important thing. What is more important to me is how effective the followers can teach it.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
The Bible is a history and cultural expression of one ethnic group in a violent age plus a story of the ministry of Jesus and the immediate results. Comparing the whole Bible to that "Book of the Dead" would be more apt if you added all the Vedas before the actual "Book of the Dead."

Try comparing the New Testament to the Book.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Buddhists believe that throughout a Buddhists lifetime, he/she experiences many different kinds of spiritual deaths, and rebirths in preparation for the ultimate death to life in-between. The wisdom of the Buddha was such that he knew that to help someone going through a death-to-life experience, it takes guidance and compassion, hence, The Tibetan Book Of The Dead. Christians absorb the deity of Christ in the cross, and are at one with him in his death, and they have him as a source of guidance and compassion though the very same in-betweens. Any character in any book that dies and comes back to life can plant the seed of eternal life, or in other words, can lead a person to enlightenment into the boundlessness of the spirit, and they can then die spiritually and be reborn, living the philosophy of life eternal, at one with that character that leads them.

I can plant the seed of eternal life by expressing this compassion: My love for you starts now, it will continue for you after you die, and clear through into you next life, or rebirth.

It is a compassion that can be expressed by anyone. Any prostitute without any integrity can love you in this way. YHWH made the laws making it ok to murder someone as innocent as Jesus, and used those laws to put Jesus to death, so that he could come back to life, as an expression of eternal love, or to enlighten people to the philosophy of life eternal.

Buddha is the perfect expression, because it does not require a blood sacrifice to convey it. Buddha uses mythology to explain the philosophy.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
good point
Jesus didn't face horrendous circumstances until he insulted many, ran from the law, and didn't deny the charges against him, by that time his teachings had already been taught while he was living in relative ease.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Buddha is the perfect expression, because it does not require a blood sacrifice to convey it. Buddha uses mythology to explain the philosophy.
Nothing Buddha did in achieving and expressing maitri compares remotely with what Jesus accomplished.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Nothing Buddha did in achieving and expressing maitri compares remotely with what Jesus accomplished.
If we are going to start a flame war over who suffered more for others, I'm going to have to shime in that Gandhi wins and that neither Siddhartha nor Yeshua accomplished much at all, things are the same as they've always been, but at least now India is free from Britain.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I personally reject Jesus's expression of eternal compassion because of his father YHWH. I don't like the idea of murdering innocent people in some kind of twisted way of showing love. Jesus's father YHWH would order the deaths of all kinds of innocent lives as a kind of expression of his love. Buddha's compassion does not require the tearing of flesh or spilling of blood. In order to receive Buddha's compassion, all you need is faith in the idea. Faith in the mythology that explains it. No murder. No genocide. Buddha> Jesus. jmo

I believe Jesus accomplished in delivering YHWH's eternal compassion, but it was YHWH and Moses's crazy laws that had condemned Jesus to death, so it seems really cheap and evil to me.

Plus, I believe YHWH and Moses still has to pay for the horrible crimes against humanity they inflicted. They are guilty of all kinds of horrible sins. They are even guilty by their own standards. They could send me a dozen roses, and I would not accept them, or else I would be forfeiting my own integrity, and moral compass.

Last edited by Rider's Pantheon; 12-21-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality