U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 AM

17,579 posts, read 38,295,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if some non-Christians didn't go trolling in the forum, it wouldn't so depressing. I have no problem with non-Christians posting there, but it's a shame when some people do simply to try to stir things up.
You don't need any help from the non christians to see constant arguing and putting down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
The blindness and willful ignorance of especially the fundamentalists is demonstrated in the fact that one merely has to ask questions to be viciously attacked.

Questions really bring out the worst in these people.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM

10,179 posts, read 10,541,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
I have just "retired" from participation on the massive "Christian Forums" site after three disappointing years. I am wondering if anyone else shares my view that this site is just about the WORST advertisement for Christianity since the Inquisition? It is divided into a multitude of sub-forums, each with its strict rules that are ruthlessly (albeit arbitrarily) enforced by a team of moderators; the purpose of all these sub-forums seems to be mostly to prevent the numerous warring factions of "Christianity" from clawing each other's eyes out (stay within the Baptist sub-forum, sweetie, and you won't have to butt heads with those damn Catholics). But it doesn't work -- even within a single sub-forum, virtually every thread, whether it be about the nature of the Trinity or someone's favorite recipe for carrot cake, turns into a bloodbath of flaming, accusations and hurt feelings. The huge preponderance of threads are hate-filled rants against homosexuality (an absolute obsession with these folks), Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics and other favorite targets. If you actually have an IQ above 100 and have studied a fair amount of theology and related disciplines, you will find yourself completely out of place because the average discussion takes place at the level of Vacation Bible School and that's the way the participants want to keep it. I am, of course, painting with too broad of a brush -- but overall I did find Christian Forums to be a depressing place and an embarrassing example of what most non-Christians who want nothing to do with Christianity picture the religion being. As I said in one of my final posts there, Christian Forums seems to me a better recruitment tool for atheism than for Christianity.

All of which raises a larger issue that always troubles me: If (as evangelicals at least believe) becoming a Christian opens the door to a transformation of one's life through the working of the Holy Spirit, why don't we see more (any?) evidence of this? Why are there 30,000+ Christian denominations, virtually every one of which detests some of the others? Why are there so many churches whose internal squabbles would embarrass a completely secular organization? Why do we see so little evidence of transformation in individual lives? If by their fruits ye shall know them, I would say that most of what passes for Christianity is populated by folks you wouldn't want to know at all (as exemplified by Christian Forums). If the Holy Spirit really were at work, shouldn't there be some discernible difference between the Christian segment of society and the Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic or atheist segments? Yet I see no meaningful difference that would suggest the Holy Spirit is transforming the Christian segment and not the others. If I were an atheist -- which I'm not, I'm actually a Christian -- I would steer clear of the silliness spouted by the New Atheists and focus on: "Why, if Christianity is real, isn't there more evidence of this? Doesn't the evidence point more in the opposite direction?" All the standard explanations about Satan being the ruler of the world, Christians still being prone to sin, etc., really aren't sufficient -- even within this context, if Christians have the Holy Spirit and other belief systems don't, there should be a definite, discernible difference. My answer to this dilemma is along the lines suggested by Leo Tolstoy: "If Jesus' message were put into practice, there would be such a difference. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of what passes for Christianity is a near-complete perversion of Jesus' message."
The Christian Forums is a mess. But then so is nearly every one of them. You get much nicer people in neutral ones like this one. Try "Rapture in The Air". Breathe one word that there is no rapture and you are warned and then banned. A sure sign of rapture-insecurity.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM

51,222 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In my opinion, the Islam forum is by far the saddest.

Except for one poster who gives very intelligent and educated answers, the rest of them just quote the Quran and seem incapable of thinking for themselves. At least the Christians argue about things, which shows their brain is not just on auto-pilot.
Ha, but some of them on the Christian forum do the same thing (and in real life, too). They seem unable to have an intelligent discussion, just quote verses. I don't read those posts or respond to them. I actually enjoy the Atheist and Agnostic forum (and there I skip over the posts calling those of us who believe unintelligent or misguided or whatever because we believe) because they often bring up some good points about living in a multicultural society.

You are right, though, about the Islam forum. They mostly just quote, too.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM

51,222 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You don't need any help from the non christians to see constant arguing and putting down.
So true.

Fortunately, I belong to a Christian education group that does study and discuss scriptures and religion intelligently. I wish there were a forum like that somewhere.

I visited Christian Forums some time ago. Didn't find too much in "my" denomination (Episcopal) but ended up fighting with 9/11 truthers in the section called News and Politics or Society or something. Got tiresome after a while. The same two guys posting the same YouTube videos over and over.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM

12,632 posts, read 10,732,308 times
I can't go to Christian sites at all anymore..not even for a peek...thinking
I have something in common with them, a love of Jesus' teachings and God.

I don't get depressed exactly...my heart gets a sick, discouraged feeling...I must turn away...
Wash my emotions away with the knowledge that everything comes about in its own time;
and know the limiting, rigid concepts will fall away just as the blossoms fall away naturally
and fruit appears....to paraphrase Vivekananda.

Their hearts are trying to do good...sort of like trying to do good by hitting
someone with a hammer that has come for guidance...because
"that's all I know to do".
And they don't even see it...that they push others further away.

Ok, washing my heartbreak again with trust in God's Wisdom and Plan, for everyone.
I'm ok again....

Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM

37,493 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
I have just "retired" from participation on the massive "Christian Forums" site after three disappointing years. I am wondering if anyone else shares my view that this site is just about the WORST advertisement for Christianity since the Inquisition? It is divided into a multitude of sub-forums, each with its strict rules that are ruthlessly (albeit arbitrarily) enforced by a team of moderators; the purpose of all these sub-forums seems to be mostly to prevent the numerous warring factions of "Christianity" from clawing each other's eyes out (stay within the Baptist sub-forum, sweetie, and you won't have to butt heads with those damn Catholics). But it doesn't work -- even within a single sub-forum, virtually every thread, whether it be about the nature of the Trinity or someone's favorite recipe for carrot cake, turns into a bloodbath of flaming, accusations and hurt feelings. The huge preponderance of threads are hate-filled rants against homosexuality (an absolute obsession with these folks), Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics and other favorite targets. If you actually have an IQ above 100 and have studied a fair amount of theology and related disciplines, you will find yourself completely out of place because the average discussion takes place at the level of Vacation Bible School and that's the way the participants want to keep it. I am, of course, painting with too broad of a brush -- but overall I did find Christian Forums to be a depressing place and an embarrassing example of what most non-Christians who want nothing to do with Christianity picture the religion being. As I said in one of my final posts there, Christian Forums seems to me a better recruitment tool for atheism than for Christianity.

All of which raises a larger issue that always troubles me: If (as evangelicals at least believe) becoming a Christian opens the door to a transformation of one's life through the working of the Holy Spirit, why don't we see more (any?) evidence of this? Why are there 30,000+ Christian denominations, virtually every one of which detests some of the others? Why are there so many churches whose internal squabbles would embarrass a completely secular organization? Why do we see so little evidence of transformation in individual lives? If by their fruits ye shall know them, I would say that most of what passes for Christianity is populated by folks you wouldn't want to know at all (as exemplified by Christian Forums). If the Holy Spirit really were at work, shouldn't there be some discernible difference between the Christian segment of society and the Buddhist, Hindu, Islamic or atheist segments? Yet I see no meaningful difference that would suggest the Holy Spirit is transforming the Christian segment and not the others. If I were an atheist -- which I'm not, I'm actually a Christian -- I would steer clear of the silliness spouted by the New Atheists and focus on: "Why, if Christianity is real, isn't there more evidence of this? Doesn't the evidence point more in the opposite direction?" All the standard explanations about Satan being the ruler of the world, Christians still being prone to sin, etc., really aren't sufficient -- even within this context, if Christians have the Holy Spirit and other belief systems don't, there should be a definite, discernible difference. My answer to this dilemma is along the lines suggested by Leo Tolstoy: "If Jesus' message were put into practice, there would be such a difference. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of what passes for Christianity is a near-complete perversion of Jesus' message."
You have come to realize that the organized religions ARE the anti-Christ majority prophesied to dominate in the latter days. Their dogma, "precepts and doctrines of men" and complex theologies using absurd convoluted explanations have so thoroughly corrupted Christ's simple message of love that it is unrecognizable. They would have you believe that following Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't is following the OT Mosaic law!!!! Why on earth would Jesus instruct His disciples to do that????

We are under the New Covenant and are to be guided by the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to what God has "written in our hearts." What you see as a lack of the Holy Spirit within the churches is symptomatic of a failure to believe the New Covenant and to rely on the OT caution that our primitive ancestors' should not rely on their hearts. We are NOT our savage ancestors. We are under the New Covenant and CAN trust our hearts especially since we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us. It is precisely because today's Christians do NOT follow the Holy Spirit to what is in their hearts that they are so divorced from Christ. It is why Ghandi's criticism was so apropos.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM

15,547 posts, read 6,995,657 times
I just registered there to answer questions about Quakers in the new Anabaptist Forum. I'll let you know how it goes, especially since my first answer will more or less challenge one of the very few tenets of Anabaptists listed.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:33 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,511,398 times
It's all just more proof that the internet is of the devil........................

Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM

995 posts, read 764,076 times
I've been banned from 3 different Christian sites in the past month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality