U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,487 posts, read 12,149,424 times
Reputation: 10693

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
I've been banned from 3 different Christian sites in the past month or so.
Gee, really?

I can't imagine why....


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:25 PM
 
174 posts, read 247,851 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have come to realize that the organized religions ARE the anti-Christ majority prophesied to dominate in the latter days. Their dogma, "precepts and doctrines of men" and complex theologies using absurd convoluted explanations have so thoroughly corrupted Christ's simple message of love that it is unrecognizable. They would have you believe that following Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't is following the OT Mosaic law!!!! Why on earth would Jesus instruct His disciples to do that????

We are under the New Covenant and are to be guided by the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to what God has "written in our hearts." What you see as a lack of the Holy Spirit within the churches is symptomatic of a failure to believe the New Covenant and to rely on the OT caution that our primitive ancestors' should not rely on their hearts. We are NOT our savage ancestors. We are under the New Covenant and CAN trust our hearts especially since we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us. It is precisely because today's Christians do NOT follow the Holy Spirit to what is in their hearts that they are so divorced from Christ. It is why Ghandi's criticism was so apropos.
Tolstoy thought that "Resist ye not evil," understood literally and absolutely, was the key to Jesus' message. That would be an extremely radical approach, and evil would undoubtedly run amuck for a time, but I tend to think it would ultimately produce the complete transformation in human society that "the church militant and triumphant" approach never will.

I should've also given a nod to American Family Radio, a/k/a Conservative Christian Talk Radio a/k/a The Home of Muscular Christianity. I often listen just to remind myself that there really are people like that out there. It's absolutely incredible that this is what passes for "mainstream Christianity."

Regarding the New Covenant, even the New Testament is quite a schizophrenic document. I decided a long time ago that I would trust the guidance of the Holy Spirit and simply reject anything that seemed to me unworthy of the Eternal Creator of the Universe, even if this drove me to the position (which it did) that the Bible as a whole is 60% primitive hogwash, 20% demented ravings and perhaps only 20% profound historical and spiritual truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,487 posts, read 12,149,424 times
Reputation: 10693
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
...snip...

Regarding the New Covenant, even the New Testament is quite a schizophrenic document. I decided a long time ago that I would trust the guidance of the Holy Spirit and simply reject anything that seemed to me unworthy of the Eternal Creator of the Universe, even if this drove me to the position (which it did) that the Bible as a whole is 60% primitive hogwash, 20% demented ravings and perhaps only 20% profound historical and spiritual truth.
The Holy Spirit is about the only aspect of god that makes a sort of sense to me. The insane, murderous OT god is a ridiculous cartoon figure. My jury is out on Jesus. I'm not convinced he existed, at least as generally depicted.

That leaves the ephemeral spirit of illumination/inspiration/hope. I find that easier to relate to as a sort of god-concept, or at least as an aspect of what I prefer to call the Creator.

And your biblical percentage breakdown seems about right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,855 posts, read 10,831,746 times
Reputation: 14956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have come to realize that the organized religions ARE the anti-Christ majority prophesied to dominate in the latter days. Their dogma, "precepts and doctrines of men" and complex theologies using absurd convoluted explanations have so thoroughly corrupted Christ's simple message of love that it is unrecognizable. They would have you believe that following Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't is following the OT Mosaic law!!!! Why on earth would Jesus instruct His disciples to do that????

We are under the New Covenant and are to be guided by the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to what God has "written in our hearts." What you see as a lack of the Holy Spirit within the churches is symptomatic of a failure to believe the New Covenant and to rely on the OT caution that our primitive ancestors' should not rely on their hearts. We are NOT our savage ancestors. We are under the New Covenant and CAN trust our hearts especially since we have the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to guide us. It is precisely because today's Christians do NOT follow the Holy Spirit to what is in their hearts that they are so divorced from Christ. It is why Ghandi's criticism was so apropos.
Articulate as usual.
You picked a good online name, that's for sure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM
 
616 posts, read 332,831 times
Reputation: 1108
I've been over there since 2007, and have found that I have an easier time
debating with the Christians now that I no longer identify as one myself.

For some reason back when I used to share my rather heretical beliefs as a
Christian Universalist, fellow Christians would come down on me like a ton of bricks.

Since distancing myself from even that brand of Christianity, whenever
I've butted heads with them they generally back down rather quick.

Of course, since I no longer display the Christian faith-icon there, I can't
participate in the Christians-only areas. The Christians who venture into
the areas where I can participate don't give me as much grief as a
nonChristian as they gave me as a Christian for whatever reason. It's kind
of ironic, in a way – I would've thought it would be the opposite.




-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:08 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,961 posts, read 4,320,818 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In my opinion, the Islam forum is by far the saddest.

Except for one poster who gives very intelligent and educated answers, the rest of them just quote the Quran and seem incapable of thinking for themselves. At least the Christians argue about things, which shows their brain is not just on auto-pilot.
Yes, I agree with this. I think it shows the models, methods, and goals of the separate Abrahamic paths.

When you bisect baby animals to make a blood pact with an invisible spirit claiming great things, such oppressive sadness is what you'd expect to get if you were wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM
 
995 posts, read 766,126 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Gee, really?

I can't imagine why....



Apparently signing on as the Rider from Rev19, and throwing the false prophet, Moses, and his false God, YHWH into the lake of fire is frowned upon . One site I was banned for suggesting Moses was a tyrannical dictator for calling for the deaths of all homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey, USA
618 posts, read 436,944 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if some non-Christians didn't go trolling in the forum, it wouldn't so depressing. I have no problem with non-Christians posting there, but it's a shame when some people do simply to try to stir things up.
Hello Vizio.

With all due respect, I find this criticism a bit ironic considering that you recently broke into a thread about the pope sharing his birthday breakfast with the homeless for the sole purpose of criticizing Roman Cathilic theology that does not agree with your own. If you would have it that atheists would not break into Christian threads to "stir things up" then perhaps you should give the Romam Catholics among us the same consideration.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,961 posts, read 4,320,818 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello Vizio.

With all due respect, I find this criticism a bit ironic considering that you recently broke into a thread about the pope sharing his birthday breakfast with the homeless for the sole purpose of criticizing Roman Cathilic theology that does not agree with your own. If you would have it that atheists would not break into Christian threads to "stir things up" then perhaps you should give the Romam Catholics among us the same consideration.

Thanks.
The Muslims are right in that regard. Such Christians model the Great Satan: Hypocrisy. Of course, that is also what their Syncretic Polytheist Roman ancestors modeled, so it's probably just in their genes.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-21-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:29 PM
 
995 posts, read 766,126 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Muslims are right in that regard. Such Christians model the Great Satan: Hypocrisy.

YHWH seems to fit the model of Satan better than anyone imo. A jealous spirit who would commit murder and terrorism to control people. Tho I digress.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top