U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Deepest Darkest NZ
687 posts, read 508,490 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I just registered there to answer questions about Quakers in the new Anabaptist Forum. I'll let you know how it goes, especially since my first answer will more or less challenge one of the very few tenets of Anabaptists listed.
I was a member of CF for over 10 years and had various roles there from member to super-administrator. It is a mess, frankly, mostly because people in power there have entrenched doctrinal positions which they defend as if their lives depended on it. Moreover the Anabaptist forum is a difficult one, one in which Quakerism really does not belong. But seach under "kiwimac" see what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM
 
Location: New Jersey, USA
618 posts, read 436,329 times
Reputation: 216
PS - My apologies for the misspelling of "Catholic" in my previous post. It was a typo and cannot at this point be edited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,392 posts, read 12,098,827 times
Reputation: 10666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
YHWH seems to fit the model of Satan better than anyone imo. A jealous spirit who would commit murder and terrorism to control people. Tho I digress.......
Yes, you digress.

But it is down a path I've pondered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Somewhere Out West
2,220 posts, read 2,037,643 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe if some non-Christians didn't go trolling in the forum, it wouldn't so depressing. I have no problem with non-Christians posting there, but it's a shame when some people do simply to try to stir things up.
Maybe if some Christians didn't go around bashing and trolling other Christian's who don't agree with their particular theology or interpretation of the bible, the forums wouldn't be so depressing.

I for one am tired of being told I am not Christian, going to hell etc. all because I don't believe as some of the fundamentalists believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,766 posts, read 10,778,998 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Maybe if some Christians didn't go around bashing and trolling other Christian's who don't agree with their particular theology or interpretation of the bible, the forums wouldn't be so depressing.

I for one am tired of being told I am not Christian, going to hell etc. all because
I don't believe as some of the fundamentalists believe.
Ah, but, rev, you know you are not going to "hell etc".
Is it really being tired of being told this?

Wouldn't you say it really is because of being tired of the ignorance
and seeing your brothers and sisters stuck in
a stagnant, rigid dogma? Rather than their direct
experience
of the God they speak of? So it becomes clanging bells?
(Ever been in a room of clanging bells? !!)

Isn't it because the ones saying the above obviously have never been 'still to know'
and understand God? They have never 'delighted in the Lord'?...so are misleading others
to think that God is a wrathful punishing God, when
we know that is absolutely false?

Just askin...ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM
 
7,310 posts, read 4,683,754 times
Reputation: 6314
I have no idea why a Christian would tell another Christian or anyone else that they are going to hell besides lack of relationship with the Lord or lack of growth in the word.

Throughout my relationship with God, he never tells me I will go to hell if I don't do something he wants, and when I was first saved, it wasn't through threat of hell.

The only times I've told someone to go to hell was when I was unsaved and angry and involved in arguments, or right after being saved when I hadn't grown in the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,576,448 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Throughout my relationship with God, he never tells me I will go to hell if I don't do something he wants, and when I was first saved, it wasn't through threat of hell.
And yet you still use the term "saved". From what? From hell, of course, ultimately. At the very least, you are saved from the consequences of sin, even if only natural consequences in this life. It's still a reward and punishment system and therefore inherently based on judgment, blaming and shaming.

I am mature enough not to care anymore, but when visiting my fundamentalists relatives last week I was judged for having facial hair, much less not being officially married, not attending church, etc. Being divorced and probably the death of my 2nd wife were probably seen as my fault somehow or at least reflections of god's displeasure with my conduct. On and on it goes. And the Bible is basically silent on most of those things. That I am a good and decent human being who loves his children and his S.O., treats his employees well, pays his taxes and picks up his litter apparently doesn't matter because I don't shave a certain way.

It reminds me a bit of Pope Frances saying "who am I to judge" gays. But he still leaves the judging to god in the full belief that god WILL in fact punish them for what his church till teaches is wrongdoing. Similarly, when we don't personally judge whether someone is hell-bound, yet still believe there is a hell or at least some form of punishment which we are simply leaving entirely to god, are we any less complicit for all that? If we aren't overtly expressing disdain for unbelievers and yet are okay with a god who is going to consign them nevertheless to eternal perdition, does that really make us inclusive and welcoming, or is it just cover for darker, deep-seated beliefs and judgments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,347,516 times
Reputation: 16099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
but when visiting my fundamentalists relatives last week I was judged for having facial hair
Makes sense. Obviously jesus was totally against facial hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,576,448 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Makes sense. Obviously jesus was totally against facial hair.
It was hilarious actually ... they asked my S.O., "when did he get sideburns??"

"Well, he's had them as long as I've known him."

"But they weren't that LONG before. They're DIFFERENT."

"Well, now that you mention it, I guess he DID let them grow out, I hadn't even noticed."

"And he has a BEARD ... why does he have a BEARD?"

[sigh]. And so the surreal conversation went ... coming from a 70 year old woman who should know better and whose own son has a Van Dyke (no doubt, much to her consternation). If I had overheard her, I would have turned to her and said "BOO!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM
 
650 posts, read 424,875 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah, but, rev, you know you are not going to "hell etc".
Is it really being tired of being told this?

Wouldn't you say it really is because of being tired of the ignorance
and seeing your brothers and sisters stuck in
a stagnant, rigid dogma? Rather than their direct
experience
of the God they speak of? So it becomes clanging bells?
(Ever been in a room of clanging bells? !!)

Isn't it because the ones saying the above obviously have never been 'still to know'
and understand God? They have never 'delighted in the Lord'?...so are misleading others
to think that God is a wrathful punishing God, when
we know that is absolutely false?

Just askin...ha!


no matter what everyone can't have the exact same opinion.

Last edited by alexcanter; 12-22-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top