Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Ah yes, the insatiable need to feel special. Why else would one believe she was "blessed" by God so that she could attend college? Yes, her hard work was what got her into college, through college, and out the other side to become the successful woman that she is.

She wasn't "blessed" by a supernatural entity - unless you're prepared to admit that many people never seem to obtain such a "blessing" and thus their lives often become a living hell. Why would anyone be so arrogant and conceited as to believe that an all-powerful God blessed HER while allowing tens (hundreds?) of millions of others, equally as worthy, suffer?

It's amazing just how much time and effort we spend concocting formulae and rationales to show how better we are than someone else.
She believed she was blessed--and led a life of giving and compassion because of it--you don't believe she was blessed.

There is always the question of whether belief alters one's life. It did hers.

There are some that live lives which are a living hell and still praise God---guess they must feel special, too.

Quote:
The steadfast church of Iran is not frail. It has given seven known martyrs.* Those who leave Iran do so reluctantly and only because they and their families are in danger of losing their lives
Iranian Christians, Who Are They?

Quote:
The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision.

The only really blind are those who will not see the truth---those who shut their eyes to the spiritual vision. For them alone darkness is irrevocable.
From Helen Keller's introduction to the Everyman edition of Emanuel Swedenborg's The True Christian Relgion

I'm sorry you don't feel special. You should. God gave you life that you should live it more abundantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Not sure how you reach a conclusion that my Dad's story "proves" there is NOT a God anymore than it proved, in his mind, that there was. That an "event" fails to take place, it means there is no God--or in the mind of the viewer of the event it was God's merciful way of making His presence known through the "natural" phenomenon that He created?
You're right, I was a bit too definitive. Certainly it doesn't prove "no God", but it does seem to suggest "no God" more than it suggests a God does exist. A better display for God would be to strike the boy dead or at least to strike the lightening at a point on the field which had no lightening conductor. Coincidences happen, and this suggests simply a coincidence.

Quote:
What was the difference? The eyes of faith. One man had them and saw a vision and the other did not. One man heard a voice and the other did not. One man responded in obedience and the other did not.

The name of Isaiah rings from a pulpit somewhere in the world virtually every week, while most people don't even know who Antiochus of Epiphanes was--despite being great and mighty in his time.

It proves nothing but--one man had eyes of faith--and another did not. Just like those of us who post on these threads. Some have eyes of faith and others do not. It is, in the interest of open-mindedness, not in either group's best interest to claim the other group is misguided in some fashion. That creates unnecessary conflict in a world filled with plenty of conflict as it is.
What creates conflict is when a group asserts that what they believe through faith is The Truth and all others are misguided and/or delusional. Then, when these same "believers of The Truth" attempt to force others to live up to their faith's demands through political and civil means.

Quote:
You are welcome to the reasoned approach of Antiochus. I prefer Isaiah's eyes of faith. I have hope in something bigger than ME, something better than ME, something so far beyond ME that I cannot fathom what that Something really is---but a Something that expects me to be better than I am and to treat you as if you are better than me as well

Blessings.

P.S. My wife is a medical staff director who credentials physicians. We select physicians based on her knowledge of their skills, regardless of whether they are Christian, Jewish, or agnostic. Does that "prove" we don't live our faith? Or does it prove we use the skills acquired by her hard work in graduating from a Baptist college where she believes she attended because of God's blessing---her family was dirt poor?
Hope and faith are not pathways to Truth, regardless of what the Bible claims. If you and your wife believe they are then why does she base her appraisals of physicians based on evidence, instead of faith or hope?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:06 PM

505 posts, read 574,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Ah yes, the insatiable need to feel special. Why else would one believe she was "blessed" by God so that she could attend college? Yes, her hard work was what got her into college, through college, and out the other side to become the successful woman that she is.

She wasn't "blessed" by a supernatural entity - unless you're prepared to admit that many people never seem to obtain such a "blessing" and thus their lives often become a living hell. Why would anyone be so arrogant and conceited as to believe that an all-powerful God blessed HER while allowing tens (hundreds?) of millions of others, equally as worthy, suffer?

It's amazing just how much time and effort we spend concocting formulae and rationales to show how better we are than someone else.
Its not a matter of having a need to feel special, it's simple Christian doctrine: when you surrender to God and get born-again you put yourself in a position to be blessed by Him. Those who reject God are not in a position to be blessed by God. It's not rocket science. When you become an adopted member into God's family you get the perks (blessings, anointings etc...)

I'm prepared to admit that many people never seem to obtain such a blessing and thus their lives become a living hell. These are the ones who put science above God; who reject the knowledge and wisdom of God by rejecting the Bible. They reject God's free gift of forgiveness and salvation. The stubbornly refuse time and time again to put aside their own pride and will not under any circumstances humble themselves before God.They make their own bed and then must lie in it.

This is simple freedom of choice in action. Accept God and His blessings or go through life and on your own and you get what you get, bad and/or good. You need look no further than entire nations who have rejected the one true God in favor of false ones. Look at India- millions literally starve to death while cattle roam the streets. They believe they might accidently eat uncle Fred reincarnated into a cow! They have rejected the Biblical truth that man gets one physical life and then the judgment in favor of reincarnation; a lie from Satan. Hindu's have not one God but millions. They have a God for just about anything that you can name: the sky, clouds, monkeys, grass, trees, water; its' been said that Hindu's worship over 33 million Gods. India rejected Christianity in favor of Hinduism a thousand years ago and look at them now. China did the same thing. Their national "religion" is atheism. Billions live in poverty daily. In the news and on the surface China seems to be booming financially. This is but the tip of the iceberg. This is the upper 5% or so of the population. The average citizen in China lives so far below the poverty level that this there is virtually no hope of living a decent life. The average citizen in America, [still a Christian nation] makes a living well above 90% of the world's population financially.

Why is it that atheists will not accept simple Christian doctrine?? I see the same tired old arguments and unbending, unwillingness to accept the simplest doctrines even when it is right before your eyes.

In all fairness, I suppose the atheist could make the a same a speech to the Christian.

When will you put aside your bitterness toward God and simply open your eyes??? Christian's are not BETTER than others, just blessed by a God who is constantly looking for someone to bless!
If you reject God you're simply not in a position to receive blessings from Him. Because of your own lack of acceptance of God and millions of others around the world who have done the same thing, the only way you can justify world suffering is to blame God?? Get your head out of the clouds!

Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
I'm prepared to admit that many people never seem to obtain such a blessing and thus their lives become a living hell. These are the ones who put science above God; who reject the knowledge and wisdom of God by rejecting the Bible. They reject God's free gift of forgiveness and salvation. The stubbornly refuse time and time again to put aside their own pride and will not under any circumstances humble themselves before God. They make their own bed and then must lie in it.
Joint Heir, I'm sorry, but this is projection, pure and simple. I have explained this to you before and the stubbornness and unwillingness to acknowledge even my points much less consider them, is on your part.

Again: I accepted Jesus as my personal savior on Jan 10, 1963 when I was not yet six years old. I did NOT reject the free gift you speak of, I DID humble myself before God. I lived and walked, as well as talked, the Christian life in a way that my fellow Christians found admirable for the ensuing twenty to thirty years. Yet my life WAS a living hell and the promised blessings did NOT appear.

Even when I pulled away from the faith, I was reluctant to self-identify as an out-and-out atheist and went through the typical "undecided" phase where I attempted to salvage some sense of the divine in my life by exploring other denominations, ultimately other religions. My life's story arc has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with "stubbornness" or "resistance" toward the transcendent / divine and frankly my first preference was for the faith I had been raised in -- substantially the one in which you now are.

You cannot and will not accept that and therefore STUBBORNLY refuse to acknowledge that people such as I even exist because it is incompatible with your view that there can be any outcome from following the precepts of your faith other than good ones.
Quote:
This is simple freedom of choice in action. Accept God and His blessings or go through life and on your own and you get what you get, bad and/or good. You need look no further than entire nations who have rejected the one true God in favor of false ones. Look at India- millions literally starve to death while cattle roam the streets. They believe they might accidently eat uncle Fred reincarnated into a cow! They have rejected the Biblical truth that man gets one physical life and then the judgment in favor of reincarnation; a lie from Satan. Hindu's have not one God but millions. They have a God for just about anything that you can name: the sky, clouds, monkeys, grass, trees, water; its' been said that Hindu's worship over 33 million Gods. India rejected Christianity in favor of Hinduism a thousand years ago and look at them now. China did the same thing. Their national "religion" is atheism. Billions live in poverty daily. In the news and on the surface China seems to be booming financially. This is but the tip of the iceberg. This is the upper 5% or so of the population. The average citizen in China lives so far below the poverty level that this there is virtually no hope of living a decent life. The average citizen in America, [still a Christian nation] makes a living well above 90% of the world's population financially.
There is so much off-the-rails wrong with the above quote that I scarcely know where to begin. America started out as (at best) a Deist nation, yet has since its official inception been and remained a secular state that protects the right of all religious persons to believe as they wish, and therefore is not and never has been a Christian nation. What it is, is a secular democratic republic that worked its way to being a player on the world stage as a world power. The arrogance that America is exceptional because it's particularly favored by God is currently blowing up in our faces as no one on the planet except us remotely believes it and in fact resents our constant meddling in the affairs of others.
Quote:
Why is it that atheists will not accept simple Christian doctrine?? I see the same tired old arguments and unbending, unwillingness to accept the simplest doctrines even when it is right before your eyes.

In all fairness, I suppose the atheist could make the a same a speech to the Christian.
Um ... yes.
Quote:
When will you put aside your bitterness toward God and simply open your eyes??? Christian's are not BETTER than others, just blessed by a God who is constantly looking for someone to bless!
If you reject God you're simply not in a position to receive blessings from Him. Because of your own lack of acceptance of God and millions of others around the world who have done the same thing, the only way you can justify world suffering is to blame God?? Get your head out of the clouds!
It is you who justifies world suffering. I neither justify nor tolerate it. Nor do I blame god. It is impossible for me to blame god. I. DO. NOT. EVEN. BELIEVE. IN. GOD. Get that through your head, 'k?

You justify world suffering as a necessary tradeoff for free will and all the fault of the victims anyway. I decry it as something most of us don't do nearly enough to ameliorate, largely because we have the notion that it is somehow necessary or inevitable because of god and sin.

Now, there WAS a time I believed in god and I was baffled, perplexed, and ultimately affronted at the incompatibility of human suffering with a loving, aware, potent god -- especially when said suffering is distributed randomly to people who love god or don't, who love life or don't, who have personal issues that self-inflict misery or not, who are wise or simple, compliant or rebellious -- in other words there is no plan whatsoever in evidence that comprehensively explains suffering other than "stuff happens". Life was too short to be frustrated or angry with imaginary beings who say one thing and do another. That is why I as able to let go of such beings.

You alone are in a position as a believer to blame god (or absolve him). I am not.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:08 PM

505 posts, read 574,687 times
Quote:
Its not a matter of having a need to feel special, it's simple Christian doctrine: when you surrender to God and get born-again you put yourself in a position to be blessed by Him. Those who reject God are not in a position to be blessed by God. It's not rocket science. When you become an adopted member into God's family you get the perks (blessings, anointings etc...)

I'm prepared to admit that many people never seem to obtain such a blessing and thus their lives become a living hell. These are the ones who put science above God; who reject the knowledge and wisdom of God by rejecting the Bible. They reject God's free gift of forgiveness and salvation. The stubbornly refuse time and time again to put aside their own pride and will not under any circumstances humble themselves before God.They make their own bed and then must lie in it.

My apologies if I offended anyone, especially on Christmas.
We all have our limits and I guess I reached mine. Sorry. If only the atheist could see that Christian's who witness to them are only trying to save their eternal soul. It seems pitiful that we care more about your eternity than you do and so we continue to preach.

If ever the atheist could get past "no evidence of God" and realize that EVERYTHING was created by God, then everything becomes evidence of God. The evidence of God is overwhelming. God tells us that man is "without excuse" for not believing in Him.

Stop trusting in science for your answers. When will you realize that God created each and every branch of science and all the laws that govern them? God offers you forgiveness and salvation. Try using your heart instead of your head. Can science save your eternal soul?

Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
We all have our limits and I guess I reached mine. Sorry. If only the atheist could see that Christian's who witness to them are only trying to save their eternal soul. It seems pitiful that we care more about your eternity than you do and so we continue to preach.

If ever the atheist could get past "no evidence of God" and realize that EVERYTHING was created by God, then everything becomes evidence of God. The evidence of God is overwhelming. God tells us that man is "without excuse" for not believing in Him.

Stop trusting in science for your answers. When will you realize that God created each and every branch of science and all the laws that govern them? God offers you forgiveness and salvation. Try using your heart instead of your head. Can science save your eternal soul?
I am not an atheist. I believe everything around us is evidence of Something Greater Than We that I prefer to refer to as the Creator.

I am also a respecter of science and understand my "evidence" does not satisfy scientific requirements. Which is fine by me. I don't share (some) Christians compulsion to interfere with others' beliefs, or lack thereof. All paths lead to the same place.

Joint, you and Vizio and some of the other biblical literalists/evangelicals/fundamentalists are not only doing a disservice to your religion but are probably turning more folks to the athiestic/agnostic/liberal side than anything we post.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're right, I was a bit too definitive. Certainly it doesn't prove "no God", but it does seem to suggest "no God" more than it suggests a God does exist. A better display for God would be to strike the boy dead or at least to strike the lightening at a point on the field which had no lightening conductor. Coincidences happen, and this suggests simply a coincidence.

What creates conflict is when a group asserts that what they believe through faith is The Truth and all others are misguided and/or delusional. Then, when these same "believers of The Truth" attempt to force others to live up to their faith's demands through political and civil means.

Hope and faith are not pathways to Truth, regardless of what the Bible claims. If you and your wife believe they are then why does she base her appraisals of physicians based on evidence, instead of faith or hope?
You really don't understand. Everything is in black and white for you. That makes you basically an atheistic fundamentalist!

True Christians see faith as living through flesh as well as spirit. God gave us brains and he expects us to use them. Atheists are as much about "protecting" their beliefs as many Christians are about theirs.

I personally am opposed to prayer in school, of the Ten Commandments being posted in the Courthouse, of Christian churches flying the U.S. flag in their auditoriums, of abortion but with no restraints against others who want them performed, of tax breaks for churches that preach a political agenda of any sort, of churches which wish to make women second-hand, back-seat believers, of oppression of any kind against non-believers.

But that doesn't make it necessary for me to praise you for your independence either. You are a non-believer because you want to be a non-believer. I am a believer because I want to be a believer. Things you declare are not evidence for you are for me. For you to claim that you live only an "evidenced" based life is most likely false. You love someone or you wish for someone's love. You can't touch love, you can't see love, but you can see expressions of the same which make it real for you. Your heart beats faster, your passion is aroused, you concentrate fully on the object of the love for which you have no evidence. You also cannot explain why you have found one to be more appealing than another, nor why the one you reject appeals to someone else. No evidence? It's not real then.

Why does that love control what you want to do, how you feel about yourself, why you want to please that other person? It's not evidenced based. Don't come back to me with psycho babble, come back with evidence.

Because the same kind of evidence you have for your human love is the kind of evidence real Christians exhibit with God. It changes their lives, they want to do something for someone that they love. And the only "evidence" for it, is in the way they live their lives.

Just as some people will claim to love another but never exhibit any difference in their treatment of the one they love, some Christians do the same with God. He doesn't make a difference in their life despite what they say, because they don't try to please him. Just as some men say that they love a woman, but how they treat her belies that statement.

So as an atheist you are fully as capable as any Christian of talking about one thing and practicing another. No one anywhere lives a totally evidenced based life, and if we did, then the very best in human beings would be dead.

P.S. The OP posts to save your soul. I post so that Christians understand they need to limit their preaching to how they live in front of others.
And if you haven't tried hope and faith, then how are you qualified to determine they are inadequate for finding Truth?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:50 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
This is just wrong on so many levels. It's not even polite much less accurate and if I were a touch more easily offended, I would be. What you're saying here is that everyone who suffers in this life deserves it. Yes, that IS what you said. If something bad happens to you, it's because you're not a good enough Christian. Is that really how you wish to represent your faith? Because I find that attitude to be utterly despicable; it is a classic reason why so many of us atheists don't even WANT to be Christians. We see all too clearly how such unwavering and rigid belief systems turn people into monsters complete with an ideology that reeks of superiority, haughtiness, and oh so much pride.

Secondly, it has nothing whatsoever to do with believing in science. You make it sound like it is an "either or" scenario - it's either religion or science, and religion ALWAYS has to trump science even if it means believing in the patently absurd.

Finally, you claim that people who accept God are given little perks. Really? There is absolutely NO evidence that good Christians are somehow more immune to bad things happening to them than non-Christians. When I look around, I don't see Christians living these exceptional, perfect lives while non-Christians are war-weary and haggard. When hurricane Katrina struck, I don't remember seeing these untouched Christian homes standing like islands of God in an otherwise destroyed neighborhood filled with unbelievers. It would seem to me that Christians are just as likely to get cancer, lose loved ones, be foreclosed upon, get laid off, fail out of college, get caught with a prostitute, or have their parades rained upon as any one else of whatever faith or non-faith.

However, I can certainly understand how believers could hoodwink themselves into believing they're blessed. The reason is simply because they credit everything to God rather than to their own ability, hard work, and skill. If they get a promotion at work, God did it. If they meet the perfect spouse, God did it. If they win the lottery, God did it. So perhaps in their own minds, God is granting them special perks when, in all reality, they're just having a spate of good fortune just like everyone else receives - whether they believe in God or not.

Quote:
Look at India- millions literally starve to death while cattle roam the streets. They believe they might accidently eat uncle Fred reincarnated into a cow! They have rejected the Biblical truth that man gets one physical life and then the judgment in favor of reincarnation; a lie from Satan.
Now here's the part where I DO get offended. Do you have any real knowledge of India, Mr. Heir? Because I am Indian, so be prepared to get schooled on your flagrant ignorance.

The idea that Indians don't eat cows because some cow might be Uncle Fred is a lot of crap. This is a purely Western stereotype, one that you need to disabuse yourself from right now. While yes, there are certain small sects of extremist Hindus who think a cow might be Uncle Fred, think of this logically. If we Indians thought that anyone could be reincarnated as any living thing, all billion of us would have to be strict vegans, now wouldn't we. But we're not, and that by itself shoots down your stereotype.

BUT, even more than that, for rural Indians to eat their cow would be the equivalent of an American eating his car. Cows are extremely important for survival in regions afflected by poverty. Cows plow fields, give milk, create fertilizer and heating fuel, and can be bred with other people's cows for money.

Plus, where do you think rural Indians kept butchered meat? In their refrigerators? Haha, India isn't the West, remember.

Quote:
a lie from Satan.
And THAT comment is simply beyond the pale. Especially considering Hinduism is older than Christianity by thousands of years. Your religion is a young upstart compared to Hinduism.

Quote:
Hindu's have not one God but millions. They have a God for just about anything that you can name: the sky, clouds, monkeys, grass, trees, water; its' been said that Hindu's worship over 33 million Gods. India rejected Christianity in favor of Hinduism a thousand years ago and look at them now.
Yeah, look at them now, Mr. Heir. India is doing better than it has in a thousand years. India has the largest population of middle class than any other nation - including the USA. Its economy is on the rise, a significant number of America's medical doctors and scientists have relocated to America in order to offset America's scientific ignorance - hell India even has its own space program now. India has a long way to go since it only recently got onto the path of being successful. But I can assure you that only your religious arrogance allows you to believe that India's fortune - or lack of it - has anything at all to do with "rejecting Christianity."

Honestly, Mr. Heir, I just don't think you even understand how disrespectful your post was. Perhaps you should actually ask if there are any Indians within earshot before opening up that big conceited yap of yours. Might save yourself some embarrassment. Then again, maybe you were supposed to put your foot in your mouth so that God could teach you a lesson in cultural humility.

Quote:
China did the same thing. Their national "religion" is atheism. Billions live in poverty daily. In the news and on the surface China seems to be booming financially. This is but the tip of the iceberg. This is the upper 5% or so of the population. The average citizen in China lives so far below the poverty level that this there is virtually no hope of living a decent life. The average citizen in America, [still a Christian nation] makes a living well above 90% of the world's population financially.
I see the Chinese are next on your hit list. Yeah, and while you bluster about the superiority of your culture and religion, YOUR Christian nation is in hoc with China to the tune of $1.7 trillion. Asian nations are on the ascendency while America is declining and even while the ship sinks you're proclaiming how much "better" Christians are compared to those evil, incompetent, Satan-following "other" people.

Is this the kind of attitude God teaches you to have? Because if it is, you can keep your God and your Bible.

Plus I would place before you a challenge, Mr. Heir. Why don't you explain to me precisely HOW China or India's religions are the major causal factor for whatever problems you think they have. You can't just SAY it's because of China's atheism or India's Hinduism. You have to PROVE it. Otherwise you're just spreading disinformation about other cultures and religions you obviously know very little about.

Quote:
Why is it that atheists will not accept simple Christian doctrine??
I don't know - because we have brains and we like to use them? I can't be certain that there is no god of some kind, but I CAN patently reject these man-made religions that have become more a force for political oppression than for good will and peace. Even YOUR attitude here on this board shows just how religion is divisive, how it sets up an "us" and "them" mentality so that we're all glaring at each other behind our respective political boundaries. Almost ALL of the strife taking place in the world today stem from religious differences.

And you wonder why we refuse to jump into that blender? Seriously? And to jump into it without any real reason to do so - no thanks. At least we atheists aren't going to war or commiting acts of terror because we think "our god is better than your god."

Quote:
Indeed. Now you're catching on.

Quote:
Christian's are not BETTER than others, just blessed by a God who is constantly looking for someone to bless!
Simply by claiming that you are "blessed," you are claiming superiority. You are claiming that you ARE better than others by being Christian (which is why God blesses you). Back before there was a welfare program, each county in America had poorhouses - but they were designed to be very harsh places so that anyone who could work would rather work than be stuck in a place like that. But those who couldn't work, well, they were considered morally inferior. That's how the horrible treatment of the poor, elderly, and disabled was justified - they wouldn't be in the poorhouse if they were right with God, therefore, they deserve to be treated like criminals. Those poor, sick, and elderly must have done SOMETHING immoral to be in the poorhouse.

It is the same general worldview that you apparently have.

Quote:
Because of your own lack of acceptance of God and millions of others around the world who have done the same thing, the only way you can justify world suffering is to blame God?? Get your head out of the clouds!
Who is blaming God? Certainly not me or any other atheist. I may as well blame the Easter Bunny for world hunger.

Last edited by Shirina; 12-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Because Uncle Fred was out mooing at the neighbors.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:

How would you respond to someone of another religion saying basically the same thing to you? Those people are only trying to save your soul and how pitiful it is that they care more about your eternity then you do.

If only you could get past believing in the wrong god and realize everything was created by a different god. The evidence of that god is overwhelming if only you would allow yourself to see. Stop trusting in the bible for your answers. When will you realize that a different god and a different book govern all?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:

No offence taken. We are used to it. We are also used to appeals to put aside reliance on 'science' rather than on faith.

Even if we took your advice and assumed that everything was the work of a large invisible human when all the 'evidence' suggests it happened through the forces of nature, which god should we believe in? Which church should we follow, even if we preferred Christianity to Islam? Though we appreciate that you are trying to save our souls, we are rather amused that you might be neglecting your own by refusing to reconsider whether the religion/denomination you follow is the right one. When all you religionists agree on just what we should believe, then you can come preaching faith, but even then, the case we have heard that the 'evidence of God' is all around us fails to stand up when subjected to reason.

I am very sorry, but appeals to blind faith do not impress us. For our part we might wish that you spend what you have left of this life in living it to the full rather than wasting time on a book of tall stories and myths, but then, if you are happy, that's fine for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality