Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM

19,755 posts, read 13,289,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sounds like a good fit for the ultimate 'nanny' state of new yark. They control how big your big gulp can be (or tried to), or how many boolets you can put in your gun.
The Big Gulp thing was limited to New York City. It was a Bloomberg initiative.

KJ is a hyperorthodox Jewish community West of the City. If KJ fits with anything it's the Northeastern ethos of "home rule" (sort of a local version of state's rights). That is very much a value in most of rural New York, so the state is actually an interesting mix of liberal and conservative ideology.

The question with KJ is, does a community have a right to exclude people from living or even trading within the village if they are not part of the local religious majority or at least willing to dress and act like they are? And does it have a right to encourage its citizens to have as many children as their women can bear, even if it means that most families live in poverty and rely on government assistance? Among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM

864 posts, read 867,598 times
Quote:
The question with KJ is, does a community have a right to exclude people from living or even trading within the village if they are not part of the local religious majority or at least willing to dress and act like they are?
The community was built for like minded people, why would anybody who disagrees with their standards want to live there, except to cause trouble?

Quote:
And does it have a right to encourage its citizens to have as many children as their women can bear, even if it means that most families live in poverty and rely on government assistance?
The village neither encourages ir discourages its citizens to have any amount of children. Its citizens are orthodox Jews who are fruitful and multiply in accordance with Jewish law just as all orthodox Jews do the world over.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,872,048 times
This story reminds me of Colorado City on the border of Arizona and Utah. It is full of Fundamentalist Mormons and I have read that a lot of them are on welfare.

I know it seems strange to a lot of us, but some people take their religion very seriously.

I saw a picture of the sign at KJ Village asking people to dress modestly. However, I read a story about a young lady dressed in short-shorts and a tank top who stopped there to use the bank, and she was not harassed.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,872,048 times
Here is an image of the sign at KJ Village

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...87917555856714

Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
This story reminds me of Colorado City on the border of Arizona and Utah. It is full of Fundamentalist Mormons and I have read that a lot of them are on welfare.

I know it seems strange to a lot of us, but some people take their religion very seriously.

I saw a picture of the sign at KJ Village asking people to dress modestly. However, I read a story about a young lady dressed in short-shorts and a tank top who stopped there to use the bank, and she was not harassed.
A woman in similar attire posted here some months back and said she was refused service. That person or another one, I forget which, said they moved to the area for work reasons and are shunned and harassed. Don't know if she was in town or just close.

I don't know that I really have a problem with them warding off paying customers, it is their right even if I see such attempts at insularity as inherently a fool's errand. But no one should be humiliated, insulted or threatened, either. Surely they understand, pragmatically, that their standards are very unusual and people are not terribly aware of their dress being of much significance to others. I mean, I would prefer personally that women dress more modestly than they generally do or else quite complaining about being objectified; but I don't put signs up on my house trying to control such things.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,526,897 times
Let them put up a sign says, "No homosexuals allowed" and then we will see what will happen to them.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
A woman in similar attire posted here some months back and said she was refused service. That person or another one, I forget which, said they moved to the area for work reasons and are shunned and harassed. Don't know if she was in town or just close.
Do you really believe everything people post on CD?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Do you really believe everything people post on CD?
Didn't say I necessarily believe her, it's just information. On the other hand, there was no particular reason not to, either.

You live in KJ, don't you?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You live in KJ, don't you?
No, I don't. But when somebody who is clearly not part of the community claims they moved to the area and were shunned and harassed you know they're lying. No "outsider" lives in that area, and workers from other places constantly enter and leave without incident.

You don't live in KJ, is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality