U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM
 
32,534 posts, read 29,743,189 times
Reputation: 32265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrylix View Post

I see a big difference between an ant and any mammal. If I'm in the mood to toy with beings that are much less significant than I see myself as being (ants), why shouldn't I? I can understand from a jains perspective why they see how I treat ants as wrong, but not yours. Even if it were my friend's aunt who I just stepped on, well, too bad for her. Her new home is a patch of mud on my size 12 rubber sole. Better luck in the next life, hah.
Were you picnicking in my vicinity I'd move to another spot because your karma is beyond negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: The backwoods of Pennsylvania ... unfortunately.
5,637 posts, read 3,195,521 times
Reputation: 3961
When I lived in North Carolina, we were frequently the target of ant invasions. If anything sweet, greasy, or salty ended up on the floor, you could bet there would be an ant ball busy devouring and breaking down the yummy little treats we accidentally left for them.

We never could bring ourselves to kill them or disrupt their activities. In fact, we thought these ants were rather polite. Somehow they seemed to know which foods we were still eating (even foods that were left out) and left them alone. They never climbed up to the counter or got on the table or into our drawers. They seemed to know the boundaries and dutifully obeyed them. In return, we didn't kill them and left them alone to enjoy their food. Not one single ant was ever found where we cared not to find one. In time, their colony became almost like friends, comforting in a strange way for their familiarity and seeming civility and respect. Thus we returned the favor.

But when we moved, we were faced with a much more intrusive ant colony that failed to respect us and got into everything. Those particular ants had to face a round of poison that made them disappear for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Here
2,592 posts, read 5,585,699 times
Reputation: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes.

If done deliberately, very wrong.

They are living things. They have purpose and meaning, obviously beyond your ken. They, as all living things do, deserve respect.

That you show the opposite tells me everything I need to know about you.

You are worth much less than what you scraped off your shoes.

And Vizio's response does him...justice.
I completely agree with this.

But to add,
If anything, this topic isn't even just about religious beliefs, but just ecology and respecting it.

And the ants were not in your home or neighborhood, but theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
37,911 posts, read 17,773,751 times
Reputation: 17335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In time, their colony became almost like friends, comforting in a strange way for their familiarity and seeming civility and respect. Thus we returned the favor.
I had a deal like that going with an ant colony for a time, but then they were accidentally exposed to atomic radiation, grew into 25 foot long monsters overnight...and things got ugly...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 38,737,149 times
Reputation: 16105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I had a deal like that going with an ant colony for a time, but then they were accidentally exposed to atomic radiation, grew into 25 foot long monsters overnight...and things got ugly...
Missed opportunity on your part. You could have been king of the ants and ruled the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Status: "A smidge querulous." (set 12 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
24,126 posts, read 12,477,394 times
Reputation: 11043
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Missed opportunity on your part. You could have been king of the ants and ruled the world.
Pretty sure ants prefer queens in the ruling department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,683,858 times
Reputation: 9700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrylix View Post
I'm 21 years old, had to go to a picnic today. I got up to throw something in the garbage and at the garbage can noticed a horde of ants bustling around a little ant mound. I was bored so I lifted my foot over them and stamped it down. After flattening them and their little home under my shoe, I walked back to the blanket.

When I sat back down, I leaned over to check out all the crushed ants stuck to my foot. My friend and I sort of snickered because the ants I carried through the grass on the bottom of my feet were only half-crushed and squirming in the treads of my running shoe. Then out of nowhere some guy who I didn't know saw me and called me a "white bully" and "inhumane" because I step on ants. I told him to bend down and kiss my stinking feet. I know, not nice, heh.

I've been stepping on bugs my whole life. I know jains respect all life and believe that my actions are wrong. But how is that explained? I thought they believed in reincarnation but how does that work? Do they believe that bugs are reincarnated from people?

If I'm stepping on someone's uncle bob, is that really such a bad thing? I guess my thoughts would be eh, better luck next time. There was probably a reason he ended up as a tiny ant on the bottom of my shoe and that by contrast, I'm a giant.

Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?
My son stopped stepping on ant hills when he was about 5. Too bad you have yet to catch up.
Killing other living things just for your own amusement is sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,636 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Uneccisarilly destroying something and killing something out of boredom and for fun is certainly not right...

'They are just ants'....are you aware of the job ants do? Have you seen the architectural masterpieces they build for thier homes? Do you know that they have a 'social' order?

And yes, you may have been stepping on uncle bob reincarnated as an ant. But as is said above, probably did him a favor. Bob was a bad boy while human, that's why he would end up as an ant or a cockroach.
You may want to think about that when you go about stomping on bugs for fun.
You mean I should think about not squishing them? Makes sense; being fated to live in the form of a miniscule ant is one of the worst punishments I could think of for myself. Having some giant foot end it sort of lets them escape what they deserve.

If I were a bug, I would hope I don't run into me either.. but at the same time, maybe getting stepped on wouldn't be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 AM
 
Location: US
26,876 posts, read 14,268,147 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrylix View Post
I'm 21 years old, had to go to a picnic today. I got up to throw something in the garbage and at the garbage can noticed a horde of ants bustling around a little ant mound. I was bored so I lifted my foot over them and stamped it down. After flattening them and their little home under my shoe, I walked back to the blanket.

When I sat back down, I leaned over to check out all the crushed ants stuck to my foot. My friend and I sort of snickered because the ants I carried through the grass on the bottom of my feet were only half-crushed and squirming in the treads of my running shoe. Then out of nowhere some guy who I didn't know saw me and called me a "white bully" and "inhumane" because I step on ants. I told him to bend down and kiss my stinking feet. I know, not nice, heh.

I've been stepping on bugs my whole life. I know jains respect all life and believe that my actions are wrong. But how is that explained? I thought they believed in reincarnation but how does that work? Do they believe that bugs are reincarnated from people?

If I'm stepping on someone's uncle bob, is that really such a bad thing? I guess my thoughts would be eh, better luck next time. There was probably a reason he ended up as a tiny ant on the bottom of my shoe and that by contrast, I'm a giant.

Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?

Step on all the bugs you want...Just don't step on a crack because you know what that does and is just wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
 
Location: sumter
7,712 posts, read 4,851,113 times
Reputation: 6114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrylix View Post
You mean I should think about not squishing them? Makes sense; being fated to live in the form of a miniscule ant is one of the worst punishments I could think of for myself. Having some giant foot end it sort of lets them escape what they deserve.

If I were a bug, I would hope I don't run into me either.. but at the same time, maybe getting stepped on wouldn't be so bad.
LOL, op I don't mean any harm my friend, but I swear you are smoking some good stuff. I mean who thinks about this kind of stuff. Are you saying these things with a straight face, or are you LYAO as you type. And I actually took you serious at first but the longer this thread lives on the more it seem like you are just kidding around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top